Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 13th, 2010, 04:37 PM

Help Please

Hi everyone !
I've been doing some research and creating a list of pros and cons to eating commercial (wet/kibble) food and pros and cons to feeding cats raw meat.
My boyfriend and I are both vegan. He is especially grossed out by the thought of feeding out 6 kittens raw meat. I however know that feeding them a raw meaty diet is what is best and natural for them.
So this list that I am creating is to help my boyfriend (who has never owned a cat till now) understand the reasons why we need to switch them on to the raw diet.
For those of you who do feed your cats raw meat could you please tell me where you get the meat and how you prepare it too.

So please, if you have some sites you know of or info of any kind please share!!
(sites i have already are: http://www.catinfo.org/ , http://www.rawfedcats.org/index.htm , )

Thank Yous
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:13 PM

I feed raw to my 4 cats and 2 dogs. The cats range in age from 6 months to 5 years. The youngest has been raised on raw.

I started raw feeding almost three years ago because one of my cats had constant medical issues (FLUTD, allergies, etc..). Since switching all of my animals health has drastically improved.

When I first started I used premade raw - NV and Paws and Claws. The cats were ok with that but could occasionally get picky. I then switched them to a more prey model style - whole pieces of bone in and large chunks of boneless.

I buy most of my food for them through co-ops OR as the regular supermarket. I feed mainly chicken, turkey and pork as the staples. My cats can handle all chicken bones, and even turkey necks. I also try and add something more novel at least once or twice a month, i.e. quail (the favourite of all the cats), rabbit, duck, venison, etc.... Everything is pretty easy and I used to be a vegetarian. It takes some time to get used to but the benefits are outstanding, not to mention considerably cheaper than canned food.

Good Luck

PS - My fiance was totally not into raw feeding originally, but now that hes sees the results, he tells everyone how great it is. Seriously, I created and rawfeeding monster.
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:40 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Actaully, if he takes the time to read through www.catinfo.org he will find more than enough info to convince him that canned or raw is best.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I can totally relate to the squeam-factor of feeding raw when you're a vegetarian/vegan (I'm vegetarian - can't call myself vegan because I like honey and goat cheese too much). Not sure what your reasons are for not eating meat, but the main reason I'm veg is because I object mightily to the inhumane and anti-environmental aspects of factory farming. One of the greatest things about feeding a raw diet to our pets is the control you have over the source of that meat. You can by-pass the whole industrial agriculture system and go straight to organically and humanely raised animals from actual real-life farmers! If you don't want to grind up the meat yourself, there are some reputable frozen raw products you can purchase at the higher-end pet food stores with ethically sourced meat. The trade-off is that it can cost more, but I think it's worth it.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:28 AM

thanks !

Do you guys grind the meat for them or let them rip into it pretty much whole?
Do cook the outside of the meat?
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I make my own raw for my cats and use the recipe on the website catinfo,org.

I buy my meat at the supermarket and try to get chicken when it is on sale to save money. I do check the best before date and don't buy it if it is close to expiry. I will also go to my local butcher.

Main meat that I use is chicken, pork and some beef (it has high taurine levels), chicken liver and giblets, raw egg yolks, taurine powder. I add a tiny pinch of salt once every second day for their iodine and omega 3 oil.

I do grind mine, only because I know Puddles will not eat bones and she does so well on raw, that I don't want to discourage her. It takes about one hour every month to make the food and I put it in medium size freezer bags, placing enough in a bag for one day of feedings (for 4 cats).

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 14th, 2010, 03:44 PM

No grinding here. Whole pieces is what is liked best. Whole and half quail are a huge hit around here.