Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 29th, 2016, 11:33 AM

Unhappy Dog adopted with rotten teeth (not disclosed)

Hi,

We've had recently adopted a 5 yr old jack russell x from a rescue out west. When we met the dog we didn't notice anything wrong with her and the rescue/foster said she was in good health. We take her home after a long drive and on the second day, we noticed most of her rear teeth were rotten and her gums are showing signs of gum disease.

We contacted the rescue and asked why this was never mentioned as this easily should have been picked up by the vet or anyone at the rescue. The rescue said they don't screen and do dental work for dogs they take in, and they claim didn't know about it and now it's not their problem anymore. They also will not take the dog back at all. The estimate for the dental work is over $2k since she will need all of her rear teeth removed. We are more than willing to pay for the operation even though we do not have the money but we feel like the rescue completely cheated us on the poor pooch. This isn't something that's hidden, it's visible and their vet should have noticed it since they need to check the teeth to estimate their age.

I know dental work is very expensive, and for a rescue to do dental work can be challenging sometimes. However, if they had at least mentioned it in the online profile, maybe we would have reconsidered (or not; we are thinking of keeping her). The whole "we never knew/no one told us" is really disheartening.

I'm looking for some feedback from folks on what they think of this situation. I'm feeling sick to my stomach just thinking about it.
Old February 29th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Who ran the shelter for the dog you adopted , and how did you find about them? Was on line or by words of mouth ? I adopted my dog and he end up needing a lot medical care , the shelter paid $600 for his vet bills . I wasn't told my dog has trick knees , they pop out of joint and this will cost thousands of $$$ I don't have . I was told by the woman that ran the shelter they didn't want my dog back and this was why they paid his vet bills . Did you have to sign any agreement with the people you got your dog from , if yes I hope you read it very carefully first . There could be a clause that said you can't get your money back . I am sorry this happen to you and your dog ,it's really not fair for the dog . The shelter should had made sure you knew about his teeth and if were able to afford the vet bill.
Old February 29th, 2016, 01:43 PM

I found them through petfinder. All they can say is that they were not aware of the state of his teeth, and they are washing their hands with us and the dog. We read the adoption contract, which in hindsight, had a fair portion dedicated to waiving all the rescues legal liabilities which should have been a BIG red flag. But we were in a town hundreds of km away and we really thought she was the perfect one (made to believe at least). We are not going to give up on her though and we will get the necessary work done. I know they will never give back the money and I'm not looking to get it back. However, they mentioned on the phone that the only way they would take back any dog is for us to pay a fee. This pretty much cements it in my mind that this place is toxic. I'm not going to post the rescue's name because I am so done with them and releasing it will only bring more headache. I will say this: karma's a b*tch! I just hope the poor pooch will be ok when this is all over...
Old February 29th, 2016, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I just Google petfinders and they have a lot of bad reviews ! I check them out when I was looking for a dog and saw a lot red flags . I am surprise there are no government agencies investigating all the complains people posted. People should be able to bring their dog to their vet to see what kind of health issues before signing on the dotted line . I am sure there are people are pissed off about getting a sick dog that just dump it off to die some place .
Old February 29th, 2016, 09:19 PM

It's most unfortunate that you find yourself in this situation but very fortunate for this JackRussell X to be taken in and cared for and loved by you

Whether the Vet and/or Rescue missed the rotten teeth or purposely misled you, I can understand you feel scammed. All you can do now is move forward with the care for your pup. Similar circumstance happened to me with my Rescue Papillon. She was spayed and all her rotten teeth removed however when I brought her to my Vet we discovered three rotten teeth had been left behind I paid $1000 for the surgery but have since found other clinics that charge $500-$800. I would advise you to call around other vet clinics especially the clinics located in rural areas as they seem to be less expensive. Don't be shy to explain to these clinics that your pup is a Rescue and their Vet "dropped the ball". There are some Vets out there that have a heart especially for a Rescue. Good Luck!
Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:10 AM

For the first few days, I admit I had serious doubts on whether or not we could keep her as the normal feeling of getting a new dog and excitement that it brings were somehow completely negated by our horrendous experience. I hated myself for even feeling a little resentful towards the poor girl. I also realized that my patience with her was rather thin and unfair at times. At one point I felt so guilty and cried. But the thought of given her up would be worse than all of this, especially on her.

Now, I'm glad to say those dark feelings are gone. She's starting to adjust well into the new setting and she really is so amazing and we love her. She's going to see the vet in a day and I'm praying that there isn't anything else wrong, for her sake. The way we looked at this was: if we have to spend a couple thousands to get the perfect dog, it's worth it. And she is just that.

Thank you to all for the comments.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Dogs from breeders these days cost 2,000 dollars easily. Thanks for rescuing this dog anyhow, she may have ended up in a bad situation. Hopefully your vet or some vet will ease the cost and help your situation.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

When I was in my 20's my dad brought a beautiful GS and when I saw the poor dog I knew right away that the breeder had sold my dad a very sick dog ! She had distemper and my dad was an old man had no idea his dog was dying . It was so heartbreaking and I was so angry for my dad been taken this way! There will always be dishonest people when looking for a pet . I wish I could afford to bring a vet with me when I got my dog . He has bad knees .

Tags
dental care, dogs adoption, rescue, rescue dog