Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old January 21st, 2015, 11:08 PM
Critter Lover

when to start sub q with KD dog

My dog was just diagnosed with early stage kidney disease. She is on meds and supplements and KD diet and so far going well. I have read so much on KD but my big question is when do I know when it is time to do the sub q fluids? My vet is not so easy to communicate with. This is the 3rd one I have been to. Any experience welcome.
When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except to put up with it until the wind changes. TS Elliot
Old January 22nd, 2015, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

How old is your dog? Your Vet is the best person to guide you. I've not had kidney disease in a dog but in my own human mother and two older cats and assuming it's similar maintenance with just diet can keep one going a long, long time. In my case there were no meds or special diet, a person or cat can live with greatly reduced kidney function and it they are older and not as active as they once were can have a perfectly satisfactory life. You might never get to the point of sub-q, I didn't. It varies by subject of course and you do need regular blood work and consults with your Vet. Maybe you should try a different Vet?
Old January 22nd, 2015, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Is the K/D canned or kibble? The moisture content of a wet food diet can really make a difference in the need for subQ fluids.

You might also want to reconsider the need to feed K/D in the first place. Instead of opting for low-protein, a good quality (i.e., not plant-based) protein that's more species appropriate might be a better option.

Protein: The Nutrient Your Pet Needs More Of As They Age

Saying No to Poor Quality Pet Food... Even When It's Recommended by Your Vet

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 23rd, 2015, 10:07 AM

Typically, the veterinarian will monitor kidney enzyme levels in the blood and possibly monitor changes in urine via routine urinalysis. If your dog does well with the renal diet and the meds, and the kidney values don't change, then there is no need to add in fluid therapy. If these treatments are in place and the values increase then it's time to add in the fluids. I assume we are talking about Hills k/d as the diet. This diet is proven to be effective in patients with kidney disease/failure. Not only is it low protein but it also has reduced amounts of phosphorus and sodium. I would not stray from this diet, as it is one of the best you can offer your pet. If you are feeding a dry diet and are concerned about fluid intake you can add some water to the food.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old January 23rd, 2015, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Just checked my email and found this article on kidney disease. Maybe some good reading?

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...f0e74019240f66
Old January 25th, 2015, 12:37 AM
Critter Lover

Thanks. She is 10.5 and the food is canned. Free's main issue is protien losing nephropathy. Her third round of tests came back with her protein and kidney numbers all down 1 point. So being hopefull. Vet never said anthing about SQ fluids(yet) and we don't go back for 2 months unless something comes up. Just all the reading I do it comes up often and since I am just learning all the experience shared is so helpful thanks again!
When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except to put up with it until the wind changes. TS Elliot

Last edited by DMCWLVSSR; January 25th, 2015 at 12:41 AM. Reason: add info