Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 27th, 2011, 12:25 PM

Asking for some much needed advice!

I have a rescue, a Lynx Point siamese female, since Feb. 2nd. My neighbour told me that he had seen this cat in our area for about 2-3 weeks before then. So to be on the safe said, lets say she has been on the street since around Jan. 15th until I took her in. I have checked lost & found websites, checked for any posters up in our area, checked with vets, the newspapers and the SPCA. No one seems to be looking for her. Brought her to my vets for a checkup and she was 8 months old then, so is almost 9 months now. He gave her a clean bill of health and couldn't tell if she has been spayed. Had her vaccinations and tested for Feline Aids/Leukemia which was negative. No worms or fleas.

Now, my question is, since she hasn't shown any signs of being in heat, do you think she may have been spayed already. She has an appointment on March 1st to be spayed and I would HATE to have her put under only to find out she already has been. This has been on my mind for the past few weeks and has been eating at me. Do you think I should cancel her surgery and book another one in a months time to see if she does go into heat or not.

What would you do???
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Doggie Wench

Is the vet certain about her estimated age? I would think, being so young, that if she was already spayed the incision site/scar would still be apparent. Did the vet check the area carefully? Can you part her fur and look for any scars? If she was spayed young then the incision wouldn't have been more than an inch or two in length.
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:45 PM

Well the vet checked her mouth and he said that she already had her adult teeth in the front. He has been pretty accurate in the past in regards to estimating ages. He only checked her belly without parting the fur and said that he couldn't feel any scar. I've tried myself with parting her fur but couldn't really tell because her fur is thick on her belly.

I just don't know if I should keep the appointment or wait.
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Wow..sounds like a very pretty cat..good thing I'm in SK now or I'd be on your doorstep!!
I would think too, that if she's that young, then her spay would've been recent enough that you could still see the scar. Egads..Noella was noisy enough when she went into heat...a Siamese, you'd need earplugs!!

Any pics of her??
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:07 PM

LOL!!!! Patty, you're too much. Such a cat lover you are.

Here is little Miss Lulu. She's so pretty and full of energy when playing with the other 2 kitty girls I have.

Old February 27th, 2011, 01:11 PM
-

Hey rg_girlca , thanks for helping yet another cat !

I don't really trust the "look for scar" because :

1. even if you feel one , it can be from something else like a c-section.
2. I had foster dogs that were spayed and you couldn't tell , some dogs (and cats) recover very quickly and sometimes it doesn't leave a scar. (I'm guessing if the vet is good at it and the incision was small etc...)

I think vets can tell by doing an ultrasound ? But this is probably very expensive.
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:31 PM

Thanks Frency.

Would they have to sedate her for an ultrasound and what would you do Frency, go ahead with the surgery or postpone it for another month?

When my Suzy girl went into heat when she was 6 months old, she had 3 heats in one month and drove me absolutely c-r-a-z-y!!
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM
-

She is so cute rc girlca....hard to believe nobody was looking for her she is so pretty

If it were me and there is no way that she could come into contact with an intact male, I would wait and see....I'm sure others will weigh in with their opinions though.
Old February 27th, 2011, 02:03 PM

Nope, there is no way she can come into contact with an intact male. All my cats are indoor only and I would have it no other way. Too many nasty things for them in the outdoor world. I have 3 males & 3 females here that are all fixed and vaccinated. Plus when I first get my rescues they are kept in my room for 10 days under quarantine after they are vetted, before they come into any contact with my crew of 6.

Thank you for your opinion Chris.

This is basically what I want to know, if it was any of you, would you wait or go ahead with the surgery?
Old February 27th, 2011, 03:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_girlca View Post

This is basically what I want to know, if it was any of you, would you wait or go ahead with the surgery?
If this cat is healthy , I would. Just because I don't think I could have a cat in heat in my house , would drive me up the wall

When I got Monsieur le chat , it took 2 weeks before I got him neutered. While those 2 weeks , he was very vocal and I couldn't understand why. Someone told me it was probably because there was female cats in heat outside in the area. Even if it was fall season and all my windows were close , it seems they can still "smell" them ... so , I can't imagine how noisy it would have been if Monsieur le chat had been a female in heat
Old February 27th, 2011, 03:11 PM
-

ohhh just saw the pics , she's gorgeous !
Old February 27th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

What a gorgeous girl rg_girl. Another one? Thank goodness you are there to save another.
The persian you saved 2 years ago is doing great btw. I spoke to his owner a few weeks ago.

Thank you for saving these innocent babes.
Old February 27th, 2011, 04:06 PM

Thanks for your opinion Frenchy and Benmax, thanks for the update of Hector. I think of him often, as I do with all my rescues that have gone into new homes and I am so happy to hear how well he is doing.

Yes, Lulu is quite the sweetheart.

Last edited by rg_girlca; February 27th, 2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old February 27th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I have never had a cat in heat,but have heard one outside....
If I were you,I would wait and see if she goes into heat,although you might regret it
She is a beauty,I have a friend who has 2 like her,they are wonderful kitties..
It's a difficult decision to make,but if I could spare her the stress of a unnecessary spay I would.
Old February 27th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Asking for

I think I'd wait to see if she has a heat before scheduling the spay.
Old February 27th, 2011, 08:20 PM
-

Add me to the list that would wait and see as well.

Lulu is such a beautiful girl ....I also agree it's hard to believe that nobody is desperately looking for her.
Old February 27th, 2011, 08:58 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies. I appreciate it.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the vet checked to see if she was pregnant since she was outside for some time and thankfully she isn't.

I also find it strange that no one is looking for this beauty.

I still don't know what to do. My gut though tells me to wait, so maybe that's what I'll do. If she does go into heat, I'll deal with it, but then at least, I'll know for sure what to do.

Thank you all again.
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Willing cat servant

I'm in love!
She's so beautiful!!!
She still keeps kittenish features
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:25 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

She doesn't look that old yet. It is so hard to know what to do. On one hand waiting and seeing if she comes into heat seems easy. You only have to deal with one heat and then get her fixed - if she doesn't come into heat again right away. On the other hand it's pretty simple to shave her belly and see if there is an incision. I would think seeing as she is so young any scar would show up quite well still. I know with all of my girls when they were done it was a good two months before the fur grew back over on their bellies. Is there any way the vet would agree to shave her belly and look for a scar without putting her under first? That may be the easiest thing to do. Just a thought.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 28th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

She's beautiful!! I suppose the easiest least expensive would be to wait and see if she goes into heat. Just get yourself some earplugs!! Noella was pretty funny when she went into heat the first time. The 2nd (sneaky little hussy) wasn't as fun but didn't last as long either. One thing that was good that it proved she wasn't pregnant!
Old February 28th, 2011, 05:50 AM
~Cat Servent~

She is beautiful!!! I would tend toward the wait and see... but you'll know what's best! I've only had one of my girls have a heat and that was Windy...made for the funniest message ever on my cell phone! My mom and dad were watching them while I was at my in-laws and Windy went into heat the day we left....I of course thought nothing of it because they don't go outside and my dad was a farmer way back when. But my mom is a city girl...never had pets... and the message I got from her that day still makes me chuckle. In a very panicked voice " Kelly...there is something wrong with Windy....she is crying out and there seems to be something very wrong with her back legs...she's walking funny and I think she's in pain...I don't know what to do...". After I finished laughing hysterically, I called her back and let her know Windy was in heat!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 28th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I would have her belly shaved and have the vet look for a scar and if the vet still can't tell, I would do the wait and see thing. Every time an animal is put under anesthetic, there is always a risk of death, so personally I would not risk it.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

She's beautiful. When I took Czari in, our vet shaved her belly to make sure there was a scar there. I imagine that would be the best way to be sure, other than of course waiting for the inevitable.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/