Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 12th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Weird problem with feeding my puppy

OK here's the weird problem. I feed my puppy Eagle Pack puppy formula dry and Puppy Plate by Merrick. Puppy Plate is a wet food and I give him just enough to mix with the dry. I give him about 3/8 dry. I have tried several different plates to feed him on I even tried a bowl but he won't finish his food unless I put it on the floor in the kitchen. How can I get him to stop this. I feed him at 9 AM and again around 4-5 PM I don't leave the food down all day. He's also not an aggressive eater but will finish like I said if it's on the floor.
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM

I'm assuming you mean it has to be right on the floor, not in any sort of dish, right? I would put his food in a dish, put it down and leave it for 10 mins. Then pick it up and no more food until his next feeding time. Then do the same thing. Don't make a big deal out of it, say nothing, just put the food down and pick it back up again. DON'T FEEL BAD. Soon he'll get the hint and start eating. It's the rare dog that will starve himself if food's available.
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggsmom View Post
I'm assuming you mean it has to be right on the floor, not in any sort of dish, right? I would put his food in a dish, put it down and leave it for 10 mins. Then pick it up and no more food until his next feeding time. Then do the same thing. Don't make a big deal out of it, say nothing, just put the food down and pick it back up again. DON'T FEEL BAD. Soon he'll get the hint and start eating. It's the rare dog that will starve himself if food's available.
I totally agree. Do not let your dog get his way. Let him know that mealtime is during this certain time, if you don't eat, then I'll clean up. He will eventually learn.
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:29 AM

OK, so I'm a little slow....I just noticed this line-
Quote:
but he won't finish his food unless I put it on the floor in the kitchen.
Maybe he's full!
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:52 AM

I agree if he doesn't finish it within a period of time then remove it, it maybe leave him a bit hungrier in the day but it won't take him long to realise when his oppertunity is there he can take it or leave it.
If he is full and doesnt want to finsh thats fine, but if you move it and he will eat it this likley isn't the case. You can probably just put any unfinished food in the fridge and recycle it at the next meal. You could also try heating the food a bit which makes it more smelly and might intice him to eat.
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:24 PM

Thank you all, The reason I am so concerned is the vet told me that he should gain about 4 lbs in a month and I was really worried but the girls there said he gained 1 lb in a month and looks good. He's also not a big drinker. I know for many this may sound stupid but I haven't had a dog since I was little so this is all new to me.

Should I keep him on wet and dry food or just give him the dry? I almost have to sit with him in order for him to eat. If I walk away so will he. I do leave the food down about 20 minutes then pick it up and feed him again at dinner.

Thanks again so much for all the get info.