Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Old May 24th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Magical Mystery Tour

Cool Freezer Bag Training Treats for dogs

Training Treats

Voodoo LOVES these treats, and they’re really an affordable option for clicker training small soft treats. You can vary the base puree to whatever your dog loves and mix and match for variety.

Equipment:
- icing piping bag with star tip OR freezer bag with ¼ inch corner cut off
- baking sheets
- nonstick spray
- preheated oven to 350 degrees

Ingredients:
Choose one of the following: two jars baby food (any type - beef broth is a big hit here) OR pureed can of chicken OR pureed can of tuna OR approx cup of pureed fresh liver OR anything else pureed that your dog might like - get out your blender and do up last night's leftovers!
- 1 egg
- 1-2 cups of rice flour (can substitute wheat, however rice is easier to work with)
- 1/2 cup skim milk powder (optional)
- 1/4 cup water
  • Mix water, egg and skim milk powder (optional) into the puree.
  • Add flour gradually, mixing until the consistency is of icing/oatmeal. Note: You want the consistency to be thick enough so that you can pipe it in a line onto a cookie sheet without the line spreading to the sides, and thin enough that you can squeeze it out of the bag without blowing up your bag!
  • Spray cookie sheets with nonstick spray.
  • Take the finished batter and load into freezer bag or icing piping bag, and seal.
  • Squeeze loooong lines of treat batter about 1/4 - ½ inch wide and the entire length of the cookie sheet. You can place them close together because they will not spread like regular cookies.
Name:  dogtreats.gif
Views: 1070
Size:  9.6 KB

Have your pooch friend lick your hands clean.
  • Bake until they reach a rubbery consistency when poked with a spoon, usually 15 minutes.
  • Remove from heat, turn on to cutting board and immediately line up and cut width-wise into 1/2 inch bite size pieces
Name:  dogtreatschop.gif
Views: 1075
Size:  9.6 KB

Let cool, and pop into a bag and into the freezer. Keep frozen until used – dogs love them frozen or thawed.

Enjoy!

Makes 2-5 cookie sheets worth of lines.

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am." - Toby and Eileen Green
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Live well, laugh often

Sounds tasty. I might give those a try but I think I would skip the skim milk powder. Thanks for the post .
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:00 AM
-

What a great idea ! I've got a girlfriend who is always giving me leftovers from her scrumptious dinner parties but they're always such odd bits and pieces ~ this is a perfect way to use them all up in one big puree.
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Can't wait to try em', Gypsyhick!

I'm looking forward to your visit this weekend
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM
border collie mama

i know this thread it kind of old but i was wondering how big the jar or baby food should be. or how big the can of chicken should be?, i am presuming 1 cup...?, if anybody has made these and could answer me, it would be greatly appreciated by enzo and myslef.
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Senior Contributor

I made these last week, using two cans of chicken meat. 120 grams each? Not sure, threw the labels out but tins of same size tuna are 120 g.

Found the recipe to be fiddly what with the pureeing and all. And you lose a bit with it sticking to the blender and inside the bag. Plus I have never piped anything so my first lines were pretty squiggly. I had decided I would not make them again, especially after so much stuck to my so-called non-stick pans.

But everyone loves them, even all three cats. They smell good even after baking. Cats did prefer the raw batter. I piped 1/4 and 1/2 inch lines and will do only 1/4 inch lines next time as the stuff puffs up a bit with baking. I only baked for ten minutes.
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:58 AM
Magical Mystery Tour

Yeah, they can be fiddly and really messy. I tend to make a HUGE batch over a few hours then freeze the massive output in separate small freezer bags.

I use LOTS of non-stick spray for the liver and beef ones, they seem to stick more for some reason than the salmon or chicken.

Yeah, they do smell so good. I have lots of furry friends sniffing my pockets when I'm at the dog park!

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am." - Toby and Eileen Green