Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 21st, 2014, 08:42 AM

Good cat toys?

Hi again,

Thank you for all the help in the past. My cat Sammy really loves twisty ties and empty boxes as toys. I've bought small fake mice and other ball toys but he ignores them. Do other cat owners have favorite toys?

Thank you from me and Sammy
Old April 21st, 2014, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Old April 21st, 2014, 11:32 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

My sister's cat really likes the rings from the top of milk bottles. They all end up under the refrigerator, though!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 21st, 2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normad View Post
...My cat Sammy really loves twisty ties...as toys. ..
Hey, normad !

Here's how Wiki describes "twisty ties"
Quote:
A twist tie is a metal wire that is encased in a thin strip of paper or plastic and is used to tie the openings of bags, such as garbage bags or bread bags

SO................IF that's what your cat's playing with, PLEASE RE-CONSIDER USING THESE ITEMS FOR PLAY TOYS - BECAUSE CATS CAN EASILY EAT THEM - and are unable to spit them out !

Here's one reply after someone's cat ate a twist tie:
Quote:
You need to get that kitten to the vet ASAP. DO NOT WAIT a few days to see if she poops it out!! Twist ties can severely damage her insides, while traveling through them. Sometimes, an operation is NECESSARY to remove the tie, because it's gotten tangled in the intestines and LODGED there, or has perforated ( poked a hole ) her stomach........

IF YOU LOVE YOUR KITTEN......get her x-rayed ASAP, and see WHERE that tie is located. Hopefully, she can be saved..........

.......twist ties, rubber bands, string, yarn, ribbon, etc are ALL VERY DANGEROUS to leave lying around, when there are kittens or cats in the home. Dogs can spit things out, but cats can NOT, because of the way their tongues are made......backward "barbs" .....which makes it impossible for a cat to spit out anything........so they swallow EVERYTHING that goes into their mouths.......sometimes killing them............If your kitten survives this, ALWAYS be aware of anything that she can get in her mouth & swallow........
https://ca.answers.yahoo.com/questio...4180602AALcYew

As an alternative...........
The caps from beer bottles make great 'hockey pucks' on hard floors...perhaps replace those ties with a few of those.
Old April 21st, 2014, 02:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTYcat View Post
Hey, normad !

Here's how Wiki describes "twisty ties"

SO................IF that's what your cat's playing with, PLEASE RE-CONSIDER USING THESE ITEMS FOR PLAY TOYS - BECAUSE CATS CAN EASILY EAT THEM - and are unable to spit them out !

Here's one reply after someone's cat ate a twist tie:

As an alternative...........
The caps from beer bottles make great 'hockey pucks' on hard floors...perhaps replace those ties with a few of those.

Caps from beer bottles are a bad idea too, a pet should not be allowed to play with any object that is small enough to get in their mouth they could choke on it.
Old April 21st, 2014, 07:23 PM

Barkingdog, I love the picture of the best cat toy, unfortunately my cats don't know how to play with it. I had five of mine in a circle, with a mouse in the middle on his hind legs, and the cats just stared. Finally the mouse got bored and left.
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:17 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

That was funny BD! Good advice on the twisties RC.
As for great cat toys.... Da Bird is fab.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Favourites at my house are crumpled up expired post it notes, a stick with me on the other end poking it under a corner of carpet and another stick with a string on one end and me on the other end. Brown paper grocery bags and boxes are also fun, often in combination with the stick.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Some of my cat favorite games was 'helping ' me make the bed , he would jump on the bed while I tried to put the sheet on the bed and another game he loved was poking his paw under a door and try to get my fingers . I had to be very quick or I would end up with a claw in a finger. It did take me a little longer to get my bed made but my cat sue had fun.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Some of my cat favorite games was 'helping ' me make the bed , he would jump on the bed while I tried to put the sheet on the bed and another game he loved was poking his paw under a door and try to get my fingers . I had to be very quick or I would end up with a claw in a finger. It did take me a little longer to get my bed made but my cat sue had fun.
Oh, oh, you just gave my heart a little happy/hurting pang. Sadie used to do that, she did it most of her life with us when I made the bed. Sadie's been gone just over a year.

Thank you. Even though I'm feeling a little teary right now, it's such a wonderful memory and I'm glad to have it.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Oh, oh, you just gave my heart a little happy/hurting pang. Sadie used to do that, she did it most of her life with us when I made the bed. Sadie's been gone just over a year.

Thank you. Even though I'm feeling a little teary right now, it's such a wonderful memory and I'm glad to have it.
I am sorry to hear of the lost of your beloved cat Sadie , I now what mean about having wonderful memories of a pet , I am glad I have a lot of my beloved hearing dog , Finlay.
Old April 24th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Willing cat servant

My Menchi and The Pinta Girl (who no longer live)
Used to love lids, the ones that come in the pop.

Another toy that cats seem to like a lot is the Cat's Meow. I bought it for Scully, Mulder and Bobandy and they enjoyed it. The only problem it has is sometimes it gets stuck under the yellow skirt but most cats go a bit bonkers about it and have fun (including my cats)
It's not expensive. For sale in Wall Mart and also Petsmart. Like 19 dollars.
Old April 27th, 2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Favourites at my house are crumpled up expired post it notes...
Here too - Abby's favourite playthings are wads of paper. Small enough for good fun but larger than she can get fully in her mouth. She bats them all over the house and loves it when I flick them. Hilarious fun! I love it when she comes running into the room gingerly carrying a paper ball in her lips, plops it on the floor, and starts playing. I'll never forget the time I moved the television stand while vacuuming and underneath were a dozen paper wads. Geez I laughed so hard, I just didn't expect that. So that's where they go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Some of my cat favorite games was 'helping ' me make the bed...
LOL, Abby loves helping daddy change the sheets too. As soon as I start she jumps into the middle of the mattress and dashes around underneath the fitted sheet as I fluff it out and straighten it before pulling the corners down around the mattress edges. After I'm done she usually has a nap right in the middle of the comforter. First dibs!
Old April 27th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
Barkingdog, I love the picture of the best cat toy, unfortunately my cats don't know how to play with it. I had five of mine in a circle, with a mouse in the middle on his hind legs, and the cats just stared. Finally the mouse got bored and left.
I had two cats when I was living in Boston and I woke up one night to find both cats fighting over rat in my bed ! I was yelling my ass off!
Old April 27th, 2014, 07:41 PM

I would have had nightmares for weeks after that. Did they finally get the rat?
Old April 27th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
I would have had nightmares for weeks after that. Did they finally get the rat?
Yeah they both had the rat but I can't remember which cat killed it. I was so glad I had two cats b/c I could not hear it. I heard of cats bringing home a dead mouse as a 'gift ' to their owners but not putting it on the bed !
Old April 28th, 2014, 10:57 PM

The used sticky sheets from my lint roller are my cats fave. He comes running from anywhere in the house when he hears the sheet being pulled off and snatches it out my hand before I can put it in the garbage. He then proceeds to "kill" it. He also enjoys hiding and pouncing on the dogs and chasing and sneaking up on them and of course smacking them Thank goodness the dogs are good sports and don't get too annoyed with his antics.
Old April 29th, 2014, 10:47 AM

These are all such good suggestions and I wil try some and post back.

Thank you from me and Sammy
Old May 6th, 2014, 08:49 AM

the Cat Dancer is good too, but requires human participation
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old May 26th, 2014, 03:51 PM

Thanks again for all these suggestions and I just wanted to say that I received dA bird recently and Sammy is loving it. It is so much fun playing with this toy.

Thank you again from me and Sammy