Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old March 27th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Found cat 1000 island area

Small dark grey tabby cat with pink collar has been coming to my deck since Jan 07 for food. I live in Landon Bay area of 1000 islands. If you know anybody in this area who has lost their cat please forward this to them. I put out food at night but the raccoons usually get to it before the cat.
Attached Images

Old March 27th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Senior Contributor

That collar looks tight. Would you be able to get it off. I hope the owner is found.
Did you call the local shelter to see if anyone lost a cat?
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes that collar does look tight, but I can't catch the cat. She seem quite feral when we open the door to give her food. She hisses and lunges at us until we throw some hard food to her then she settles down and we can put a bowl out. When we open the door she runs.

Over the coldest part of the winter I left a carrier out with a blanket inside and another over top just incase she was cold but she did not use it.

I have contacted the local SPCA and my vet's office to report her when she first started coming to my deck but they have had no reports of lost cats that match her description. I am in an area where there are a lot of summer only residence's and she may belong to somebody out of the area, possibly the US.

The collar tells me she belongs to somebody out there.
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

It's really sad... I guess you would have to keep feeding her before you get close enough to get to the collar...good luck. You are wonderful for atleast keeing her fed. Would you be able to borrow a humane trap. maybe the vet might be able to sedate her and take off the collar...Sad no one is looking for her;she's pretty.
Old March 27th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I would like to get a humane trap however I do have the raccoon the comes up on the deck to eat the cat food and I am afraid I would trap the raccoon and not the cat. I have nicknamed her Misty as the first time I saw her was on a wet, misty night.
Old March 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.adoptananimal.ca/

If you put in your postal code this site will give you all the shelters within a #mile radius...you can go thru the listing. Most of these shelters will have a lost and found section...I wish this were my cat. I've been trying to find my lost gray cat for a while now. Good luck
Old March 27th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Even if you get the raccoon a few times, you will still get the cat eventually!! This happens to many cat "trappers". They find other critters in the traps seeking food. I would try the trap myself - tho at least it is warming up with I agree, with a collar, she is someone's pet! (Or was!)

Good luck!
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's for feeding this little girl,I would borrow a humane trap from a shelter,if you catch a Raccoon all you need to do is let him out,he won't bite,I've done it before.
The collar if it is too tight can cause her a lot of damage,I would definetly try to trap her.
Also,because she seems frightened and hisses,does not neccessarily mean she's feral,we have cats around here who I know have homes,but still behave that way with strangers. Good Luck!!
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I will try to get a trap from the local SPCA. I tried the Kingston Humane Society and I was told they would not give me a trap.
Old March 27th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Your dept of natural resources may also lend you a trap or call any local animal group (in a wide radius as you can manage).

Good luck!! Chico is right - A feral cat would not come so close to your home unless this was after a long time. (If she was a desperate mama, maybe - but this kitty sounds scared more than anything. I would not define her as feral just yet!

Again, good luck!!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:24 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Trying to capture

Now that the weather has warmed up I am trying to get a humane trap to trap this cat (aka Misty). She is now coming to my deck almost every night to feed. I am waiting for approval from the local humane society. I am worried about the stress of trapping. Any suggestions? Also, just in case she has recently had a litter of kittens, is there any way for me to tell if she is currently nursing?

She is no longer hissing at me when I put out the food and she will stay and eat while my two cats are inches away from her, seperated only by our screen door. My male would love to have her come in and play, but my female is not so hospitable. Misty will only hiss when my female has hissed first.

I truly believe Misty wants a life where she is loved and secure.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Love4hymies,all cats want to feel safe and have a loving home,unfortunately some people could not care less.
You do and I am sure by now she is used to you,I also do not think the stress from capture would last,not once she is in a safe environment with someone to love her.
I have no experience with cats having kittens,but I would assume it would show on her belly and teats,if she had kittens she might be hiding them close to your home.
How about trying to follow her and see where she goes after feeding..
Please keep us updated
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

She only comes at night and we live in the wilderness with no streetlights. The Gananoque Humane Society will allow me to borrow a humane trap when one becomes available, but that won't be until Tues.

I talk to her while she is eating so she will become used to my voice and scent. My male Himalayan wants her to come in and play , but my female is not too happy with her presence .
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm happy you'll get a chance to get her. Does she still have that collar on:sad: do you get close enough for her to smell your hand. If you can get her to not be afraid of your hand you may get to pet her...and that would be a good a great start for her to feel comfort in having you around.As for the trap she will be stressed but in the long run it may be for the best. As for the kittens you can try and see where she goes , but I'm sure if she was feeding it would be obvious..
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:21 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am about 6 inches away from her with only a screen door seperating us. She doesn't mind my two cats unless my female hisses and she will hiss back. If my female bothers her too much I will close the door so she can eat in peace. My male wants her to come in and play. He loves all cats.

Her collar does need to come off, but is not strangling her.

I put out food when she comes to the deck and she is about 2 inches from my hand when I put out the food. I don't want to scare her by trying to pat her because I want to ensure she eats. As soon as she is done she runs off the deck. It is pitch dark here in the woods so I don't know where she goes.

She normally comes about this time. My male is now standing guard at the door waiting for her to come.

Last edited by Love4himies; May 3rd, 2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Hve you tried having her some in? Without the female? Maybe she will trust your male cat.
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Able to pet

The stray cat (Misty as I have named her) has allowed my husband to pet her before she gets her food. Once she starts eating she will hiss if you try to get close. Poor thing is so hungry.:sad:
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Aww. Thanks for watching out for this poor girl.
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Next steps

Next step is to get her in the house. I may be getting a humane trap this week from the local SPCA, but would rather she walked in on her own while my cats are locked up. I think it would be less stressful on her. Poor thing needs a home.
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

She does,for sure and thank you for caring.
When it comes time to feed her,maybe you should leave the patio-door open(your own cats safely behind closed doors)and let her smell the food.
I am sure she'll venture inside,maybe she won't stay at first,but I am sure she eventually will.
Then we'll discuss how you introduce her to your cats,that's another chapter
Good Luck,to both you,hubby and the little girlie-cat
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks Chico2, that is a good idea. Last night Misty (the stray) and Jasper (my male himalayan) were nose to nose at the screen door and no hisses:love: , it is my female himalayan (Puddles) that then made a visit at the screen door and hissed .

My husband is going to try to get her to get that pink collar off. If she starts to gain any weight with regular feedings it will be much too tight. We don't want to scare her too much so she doesn't come back.

Last edited by Love4himies; May 8th, 2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Trying to get her in

We are still trying to get this cat in the house without a humane trap. This weekend we locked up my cats when she arrived at the deck, opened the door, stood back and "Misty" entered into the house about 2 feet and quickly ran out again. My husband tried to get her while she was eating, but she is quick and gave him a few good swipes. He tried with leather gloves, but she really didn't like them at all. We will keep trying .

Has anybody tried throwing a towel over a cat to catch them, and if so, how did it work out?
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry you could not get her,but I think it will take patience and time,I am sure eventually you'll gain her trust.
She is probably much too fast to let herself be caught in a towel and it might scare her away,although the food would probably bring her back.
At least it's not winter,so you'll have plenty of time..too bad that tight collar cannot be removed though:sad:
A humane trap might be the solution in the end...if all else fails.
I hope whoever had her before had her spayed
Thank's for caring
Old May 14th, 2007, 02:06 PM
-

Awww, poor scared little Misty. :sad: I agree with Chico that the towel would likely scare her even more. It is probably best to use the humane trap and get her to the vet.

Thanks for doing all you can to help her.
Old May 14th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

My husband has been able to pat her, but she seems to sense something different when he attempts to pick her up. She doesn't like me at all, even though I am the one feeding her . He is allergic to cats, but they seem to be attracted to him.

She seemed comfortable walking into a house as if it was natural for her to do so until she realized it wasn't the right house. I don't think she has been on her own for too long so the sooner she gets resocialized the better.

We will try again tonight if we see her.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Working GSD Lover

How is it going with poor Misty?

I am in the Prescott area so not too far from you.

The gananoque humane society really is a good place for cats; they tend to foster many out and are really awesome to work with!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:17 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

She comes to the deck almost every night to feed, she won't let us pick her up to bring her in though. I would not take her to Gan Humane society unless I could not keep her in the house as I don't allow my cats to roam free or if she couldn't get along with my cats.

There is no longer hissing between my female cat, Puddles, and Misty while Misty is eating and there is only a screen door and three inches between them. My male cat, Jasper, just loves it when Misty comes to eats and howls when she leaves the deck and they will actually try to play through the screen door by putting their paws up (no hissing, ears back, or raised fur).

Last night she got canned food mixed with her hard food because I am concerned about her hydration. She won't drink the water I leave out for her :sad: . She gobbled the canned food like there was no tomorrow. She is gaining weight and I am keeping a close eye on the pink collar to ensure it does not get too tight because then I will have to get the live trap to get her in to have it removed. I have an EXCELLENT vet who will come to the house to give her a check up and give shots

Hoping to win her trust before the fall so she will come in the house.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's for the update,I am so happy she's still coming around
I would never attempt to try to pick her up,she will,hopefully,choose the time when she feels secure enough herself.
Your vet sounds wonderful,it would certainly relieve stress if the vet could come to your house.good luck!!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:42 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Chico2,

Yes, I agree, I think at this point trying to pick her up would lead to disaster, injuries, and her mistrusting us. She is getting more and more comfortable around the house and will actually take a step into the house if my cats are locked up. We will take baby steps unless her health is in jeopardy.
Old May 24th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I was sitting on the deck watching her come out of the woods and called her name, when she heard my voice, she picked up her speed to a trot, came up on the deck but would not come to me, rather she went directly to the door where she normally gets fed.

Misty enjoying her canned food with her hard last night on the deck. My male cat, Jasper, always keeps her company while she is eating.
Attached Images