Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 21st, 2013, 07:20 AM

Thumbs down Inside cat pooping on floor after UT stone

Hello everyone, I got to this forum after searching a LOT of times what to do with my kitten. We are from Uruguay (far away, beautiful country).

Anakin is 2 and a half years old, he's a common cat that's always lived inside with us in our apartment (3rd floor). Since day one he's been the best kitten, he did his bussiness in the litterbox with no problem.

Aprox. two months ago, he was having trouble peeing, it turned out to be a UT stone. The vet took it out by hand, with no blood involved and he is peeing beautifuly now after the antibiotics. We switched his food to "Cat Chow" because the other one - we were told by the vet - caused him (and other cats) stones.

The thing is ever since he's been pooping in and out of the box. When we get up and he made on the box, we say "Great, problem solved!!" but then the next morning... We pick up after him everytime, so the litterbox is clean. And we change it all one a week.

Our home is small, so the litter box was in a kitchen's corner from day one and he only did outside about 3 or 4 times before, but now he's moving on to a more transited space: the kitchen passing area. We moved the litterbox to "his spot" and now he has switched to a more centered spot. We can't have the litter in the middle of a 1,2 by 2,2 meters kitchen!! That passing area is the only space we can use to move in the room.

So... we put his litter in the living room, he's peeing real happy (because it had been his secret peeing spot ) but he's pooping in the middle of the kitchen. Is not nice to have a present on the floor each morning but we pick it up and don't yell at him or anything because we learned from Jackson Galaxy is no good.

We are thinking of getting a second litter box but I'm not sure it'll work since it seems he likes the feel of the floor against his cheeks He's our baby and we love him, he's a great companion and we don't want to resent him out of a natural issue.

PS: I've put two drops of bleach because I read they like to pee where they smell bleach, and it helps with pee but not with poo.
PS2: We clean with dish detergent (not dishwasher det. the handwashing liquid one) or with multi-purpose cleaner (Fabuloso)

Could you give me some advice on this? We've run out of ideas

Last edited by hazelrunpack; June 21st, 2013 at 07:50 AM. Reason: removed promotional link
Old June 21st, 2013, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Could you put a littler box in the bathroom too ? I would be careful feeding your cat Cat chow , they have yeast in most of dried pet food and that can cause crystals our pets.
Old June 21st, 2013, 10:39 AM

The bathroom is smaller than the kitchen but I guess we could try to fit a small litterbox in there.

So basically any dry food sucks? In my country "wet" pet food is really expansive (200 grams for $3 dollars) and he can't handle liver (which is what most people give their cats here). What do you suggest??

Could food be causing him - aside from stones - the weird pooping habits?
Old June 21st, 2013, 11:21 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

How are his poops? Soft, hard? Haha seems pet people spend alot of time talking about poop! Is he long haired or short?

If he's eating mostly dry food, he might be a bit constipated. I have one cat that will sometimes poop out of the litter box and I've found that it seems it happens when his poop is hard so it maybe a bit uncomfortable for him. See if you can get him to drink more water, you could add chicken juice or beef broth, without salt to his water. If chicken's not too expensive for you, you could try cooking a bit for him and see if he likes it.
Old June 21st, 2013, 11:40 AM

He's a ginger with long hair, it's shiny and soft at the time.

Yes, poop is a main topic haha!!! It's kind of soft, but I'll follow your advice and try to add a bit of broth to his water. Don't think he's constipated because he makes twice a day (one inside the litter, we clean, then he makes one outside)
Old June 21st, 2013, 12:00 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

can you maybe trim the hair around his bum? Sometimes the poops get stuck to their fur and that could be what's happening. Two of mine are long haired and they sometimes get it stuck to their fur and they drop little bit outside the box.
Old June 21st, 2013, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixie View Post
The bathroom is smaller than the kitchen but I guess we could try to fit a small litterbox in there.

So basically any dry food sucks? In my country "wet" pet food is really expansive (200 grams for $3 dollars) and he can't handle liver (which is what most people give their cats here). What do you suggest??

Could food be causing him - aside from stones - the weird pooping habits?
You could try to look for grain free dog and there may be no yeast added. I can't feed my dog any food with yeast because he had urine with crystals and was peeing blood. I am not sure what brands of pet food are sold where you live. Someone should have some suggestion for me, you could try asking
your vet and see if they know of a brand
Old June 22nd, 2013, 08:15 AM

Cats stop using litter boxes when they associate pain with going. The cat was in pain when she had the infection and still remembers the pain being in the litter box when she tried to go.

Try a different brand litter. Something that smells a litter different and has a slightly different texture. Once she gets used to using the box again you will probably be able to switch back to the original stuff.
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:54 AM

Thank you all mates for your responses, I'll try to work on some of your suggestions