Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 5th, 2012, 06:04 AM

Overly Protective cat

Good morning! I hope someone here can help me. I'm having an issue with one of my cats and I have been unable to find any solutions on the internet or on various forums.

I have 3 cats and 2 dogs. The cats are: Koko (18), Jesse (15), and Oni (2). The dogs are Misa (6) and Jack (10). I've had all the cats since they were kittens and I got the dogs this past Jan and March.

Jesse has become overly protective of me over the past 11 years. The catalyst was the loss of my dog, Mindy. I absolutely loved that dog. She actually helped me raise Jesse (Jesse was the only kitten to survive being dumped in the road by some idiot). I was having a difficult time when I lost her and Jesse started becoming a velcro cat. He followed me around the house constantly. If I was sitting or laying down he had to be touching me. Gradually he started taking on the job of my personal bodyguard. When I would cut Koko's nails and he'd be growling and hissing, Jesse would attack him. When Oni plays too rough (she's a biter) with me, Jesse attacks her. If I'm having a heated discussion with my husband, Jesse will stand in front of me growling. If I verbally reprimand one of the dogs (in a normal speaking voice), he attacks the dog. Anytime Jesse feels that I'm being threatened he'll attack the threat (human, cat, or canine). The vet has ruled out any medical problems.

I initially tried using a spray bottle but that has no effect, neither does a noise to startle him. He's a small cat and the dogs are very large and he really did a number on one of them (I made the mistake of telling the dog to get off the couch). I've now had to sequester the cats to my bedroom because I can't trust him. However, if I'm at home and in another room Jesse pounds on the door, screaming his head off until I come back into the room. I've had no success with Rescue Remedy either.

It was sweet at first, but now I feel like I have an overprotective boyfriend.

Any ideas?
Old September 6th, 2012, 12:05 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Some reading for you to do .......

http://www.messybeast.com/cat-grief.htm

I don't agree with letting the cat outside without a safe area for the cat to be in but -
http://www.fabcats.org/behaviour/ove...ancatbond.html

http://www.catster.com/kittens/How-t...ingy-Kitty-124

http://www.catchannel.com/behavior/article_22029.aspx

http://www.our-happy-cat.com/cat-social-behavior.html

You may never find the answer to your issue but maybe some of these articles will help.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:13 AM

My solution is a long shot. I have a cat that became aggressive with my dominant male. Even though he is operated on sometimes he just feels sexy. She decided she had enough of him and wants to exterminate him. He is too fat to really mate with her but his constant harassment has her at her wits end. I usually scold him whenever he starts to chase her a bit and it stops but her retaliatory attacks got very loud with lots of howling. One day I realized that when she is wearing a harness she feels handicapped. She would walk low to the ground and by coincidence would not attack him. It's a simple harness to walk a cat that goes around the neck and chest. If she starts facing him and hissing I put the harness on her and it's over. After wearing the harness a few hours the idea passes and she is back to her usual self. I first used a little sweater I had for her this worked also. It's worth a try but I think I was really lucky she feels this way about a regular harness. It may be that she thinks he would have an unfair advantage and grab her harness in a fight, whatever reason it works for her. I hope you can find some creative solution for your problem, good luck.

Below is an image taken minutes after a fight broke out. I pick her up as soon as the hissing starts. Since I bought a beautiful pink harness which works just a well.

Old September 6th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Kitty pimp

"sitting or laying down he had to be touching me. Gradually he started taking on the job of my personal bodyguard. When I would cut Koko's nails and he'd be growling and hissing, Jesse would attack him. When Oni plays too rough (she's a biter) with me, Jesse attacks her. If I'm having a heated discussion with my husband, Jesse will stand in front of me growling. If I verbally reprimand one of the dogs (in a normal speaking voice), he attacks the dog. Anytime Jesse feels that I'm being threatened he'll attack the threat (human, cat, or canine). The vet has ruled out any medical problems. "

so how do cats let the tribe they have their back ? or in dog terms , how do u get to be the alpha cat>
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:03 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for the help! There are a lot of things in the articles that I hadn't considered. I also am going to try the harness because Jesse always flops over and refuses to walk with it on. I had never thought of that!
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Willing cat servant

Looks like you have a small cat with a Joe Pesci Syndrome

(Jessi is adorable!)