Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 28th, 2011, 06:09 PM

Help, Please! My cat has FLUTD

My cat is a 7-year domestic longhair that has had FLUTD for approximately 2 years (this is curiously around the same time we rescued a kitten from our backyard). A week and 1/2 ago, Phoenix had an obstruction and I had to take him to the emergency vet. Then he was transported to our normal animal hospital for 3-4 days. They flushed his bladder and had him hooked up to a catheter.

Brought him home on medication and new 'raw' diet (Wysong). Medications included 3 Seeds (Chinese herb for urethral spasms), Clavamox, and Phenoxybenzasomething. I bought a fountain, but he's not that interested so I just add more water to his Wysong raw. Also sprinkle with Wysong Biotic ph- which is supposed to acidify and dilute the urine. So he's doing okay for a few days and I get up in the morning and he has defecated and urinated all over my living room furniture. I cleaned it up and at lunch time brought home an additional litterbox and things to set up a cat condo in my upstairs bedroom/sitting room/master bath area. However, he had already defecated on my bed and urinated there as well. I cleaned it up and brought Phoenix back to the vet. She said he did not seem to be re-blocking but instead it seemed like inflammation of this bladder. She gave hime Prednisolone and we have been using Saw Palmetto 0.25ml 2 times daily. The following day, I brought him in for an xray. The x-Ray did not indicate any struvite crystals, just inflammation. He seems somewhat better in my room now BUT, this morning he made several trips to the litter box and produced very little urine. He is also licking himself more.

I phoned the vet again. I'm sure they are tired of hearing from me on a daily basis. She (the vet) said if he doesn't improve by next week, he'll need an ultrasound to determine exactly what is going on. From there, it will either be a perineal urethrostomy or I'll have to have him put down if it's a matter of recurring cystitis FLUTD. Do any of you know anything about this or any options??? Even if he has to have the urethrostomy, it's $3000. I know you can't put a pricetag on your furry companion but I would just like to see him feel better.

Does this have to do with the stress from the rescued kitten? I am just beside myself. I don't want to have to give up any of my pets. I have Phoenix and also a dog, Mindy and the rescue cat, Marli. I had to have my beloved Westie put to sleep at the end of May. I can't take too much more.

Thank you
Old July 28th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh boy, I really feel for you! Having had a cat that required the PU surgery many years ago, I understand what you're going through.

Couple things: are you talking about Wysong Archetype? I'm not familiar with any true raw Wysong products. Would Phoenix eat canned food? What was he eating before this happened?

Stress can indeed be a contributing factor to cystitis. How does he get along with Mindy and the others in the household? How were the introductions done?

Some things that might help sooth the bladder inflammation would be marshmallow root powder or cornsilk, and also glucosamine (such as Cosequin) can be useful for strengthening the lining of the bladder and urinary tract. http://www.holisticat.com/flutd.html

For the stress, some Feliway diffusers and flower essences. Is your vet a holistic one? She might be able to give you other options for dealing with stress, if that is indeed an issue.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler