Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 13th, 2010, 01:05 PM

Buying a new pet

Hi all, brand new to the forum. I was just wondering how some of you felt about purchasing pets i.e. a dog from a pet store. Now I've heard things like never buy from a petstore because those dogs aren't in good shape etc. and that breeders are the best way to go. I can see how something like a PJ's Petstore or a PetSmart may be looked down upon because they are selling to the masses and care might be looked over. So I was wondering who has purchased a puppy from a petstore and found it successful, or not successful?
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:21 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

ajdelosr the reason most people tell you not to buy from a pet store isn't so much how the store treats the puppies,,but where the puppies come from. Most stores are supplied by puppymills. The animals are kept in cages and bred in some cases literally to death. Because of these situations there are genetic issues, tempermant issues,,etc. Please rescue an animal instead, there are thousands of cats and dogs looking for homes in animal shelters everywhere..

oh and welcome to the forum...just to give you an idea,,

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/180408...m_puppy_mills/
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Geek Club CEO

Some pet stores (including the PetSmarts in my area-Ottawa) actually act as adoption centres for your local humane society. So the cats/dogs you see there are from a legitimate rescue organization and the money goes to helping other animals in need. You get all the same perks as adopting directly from the society (i.e., spay/neuter, microchip, vaccines, health checks etc.) It's a nice way to expose more adoptable animals to more mainstream consumers.

That said, MOST pet stores are exactly what aslan says...puppymill and byb brokers. These you do NOT want support; your money goes back into a cruel industry where millions of animals are mistreated daily.

So, if you're looking for a dog, either a) adopt from the humane society or one of their offsite adoption centres b) adopt from a rescue organization or c) purchase a dog from a reputable, ethical breeder (be sure you understand what that is first...do your research)

Good luck in finding the perfect companion!
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:33 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It would be a great idea to ask the owner/manager of a pet store where the puppies/kittens they have come from. If they tell you they come from breeders I would walk away. Especially if they are trying to sell you a Cockapoo, Labradoodle or any other of the fancy mixed doggies. They are not breeds. They are a mixed pup usually born in a place made for making money. These places, as aslan mentioned, do not care about the dogs they have. They care about the money those dogs can make them. You can find the exact same puppy at most shelters for a whole lot less money than pet stores sell them.
However, there are some pet stores that have paid attention and listened to the news and/or their customers and know now the serious issues some of these puppies can have. They are starting to say no to the puppy mills and instead will work in conjunction with a shelter. They may have puppies, kittens, cats, and dogs waiting for adoption taken right from a shelter. The shelter then get the proceeds from those sales. Those pets are ok to buy.
Please do your research and ask questions before getting the first puppy or kitten you see in a pet store. Or, better yet, go to the shelters or a rescue and adopt from there. There are always lots of wonderful, loving pets just waiting for you to find them.
And thank you for coming on and asking questions before making a final decision. That shows you will be a compassionate, caring, responsible pet owner.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; October 14th, 2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Senior Contributor

NO NO NO never buy from a pet store.
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Let's look at finances for a moment since this is what usually 'talks' to people rather than the obvious mistreatment of animals that are purchased from a petstore.

COST OF PETSTORE PUPPY:

Cost of pet (puppy): $800.00 (from an unethical breeder or miller or broker)
Cost of first vet visit: $45.00
Open a file (admin fee): $25.00
2nd set of vaccines (if petstore has proof of first): $55.00
3rd set of vaccines: $ 55.00
Sterilization: Minimum for small dog female: $225.00 (not lazor surgery)
Minimum for small breed male: $ 175.00 (not lazor surgery)

Total: $935.00 + sterilization = over $1,000.00

(note: there may be other underlining health issues which may gradually appear)

COST OF SHELTER OR RESCUE PUPPY/DOG:

$300.00 to $450.00 including 30 days health guarantee, sterilization, all vaccinations, de-worming, in some cases heart worm testing, and full disclosure of any medical problems. Also, if it does not work out, the animal is given back. Most dogs in rescue are in foster homes so you will already know about temperment, dog may already be house trained and leash trained. You will be EMPOWERED with information on your new companion.

Good luck.
Old October 13th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Well said BenMax!
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
NO NO NO never buy from a pet store.
Unless they are adopting out on behalf of the local shelter, like Global and Petsmart do in Kingston

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 13th, 2010, 08:43 PM
chronically insane.

I work at a petstore and the only dogs and cats in the store are from adoption groups only. Same goes for the rabbits now. It works out good actually.. the people who adopt the pet in the store end up buying all kinds of supplies and stuff anyways, so all those pet stores that "need" to sell dogs and cats to make money are liars. Where I work we've never sold dogs or cats and have been in business for 40+ years

Try www.petfinder.com www.petango.com depending on where you live there may be other site available. When adopting from a shelter or group, try to look for one that includes the basics in their adoptions, like the pet should be spayed/neutered and have basic vaccinations. At my shelter when you adopt a dog it is $150. This includes spay/neuter, DHPP and Rabies vaccination, fully dewormed, Frontline/Advantix application, heartworm test, heartworm preventative up to date, microchip and registration, and 30 days free pet health insurance. My shelter is sort of top of the line though, as we have fairly decent funding to be able to keep our programs good so that the adoptions include everything. We have our own veterinary clinic which also keeps prices low.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old October 13th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Benmax, that's a great way to break it down but I would venture to say that your estimates were low ont he pet store and high on the rescue. I did get a pet store puppy (Well my husband did...long story. We would NEVER EVER support that kind of pet store again. This was before we knew better and as I said...long story.)

The initial cost at the pet store was more than a thousand before all of the other costs that Ben Max mentioned. And those costs were all higher as well. The neuter was 250 plus lab work.

We also adopted a rescue, who had been completely updated on shots and neutered. He was ready to roll and had a bag of food, a toy and a leash. IT was a donation of 150 and not one other cent until we took him for a well visit to get to know the vet.

AND...just to cover all our bases we have our newest little girl who is from a reputable breeder. (If there were an adjective better than reputable I would use that. She is breeding with the health of the dogs first and foremost. She has a waiting list for her puppies. They have good homes before they're conceived.) This little girl was a retired breeder and we did not pay anything for her as her previous mommy wanted her to go to a home where she would get what she loves most in the world...attention.

Do NOT go to a pet store. It will break your heart. Think breeder. Think rescue. Cross the street to avoid the pet stores though.
Old October 14th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmama View Post
Benmax, that's a great way to break it down but I would venture to say that your estimates were low ont he pet store and high on the rescue. I did get a pet store puppy (Well my husband did...long story. We would NEVER EVER support that kind of pet store again. This was before we knew better and as I said...long story.)

Do NOT go to a pet store. It will break your heart. Think breeder. Think rescue. Cross the street to avoid the pet stores though.
Indeed JoeysMama - the calculation for a petstore pup is minimal. I did this on purpose. As for rescue adoption fee, again this is an average based on my calculations with the 11 rescues I deal with. Some rescues charge alot less based on age of the animal, and some call the adoption of an older pet as a 'compassionate placement' which means if the person qualifies and is a great home, a donation is asked only.
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Catlover2

Xcellent posts, joeysmama and BenMax couldn't have said it any better!
Old October 14th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Unless the pet store is adopting out on behalf of the local shelters

ajdelorsr, please check with the store manager as to where the pets are coming from. There are more and more pet stores adopting out on behalf of local shelters and rescues. Of course, run, run far away if they are not.

Don't assume that a puppy or kitty is from a breeder/mill if it being sold in a pet store. Normally if the local shelter/rescue is adopting out in that store they will have a sign stating what shelter they came from (and of course you would have to fill out an adoption application).

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 14th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Unless the pet store is adopting out on behalf of the local shelters

ajdelorsr, please check with the store manager as to where the pets are coming from. There are more and more pet stores adopting out on behalf of local shelters and rescues. Of course, run, run far away if they are not.

Don't assume that a puppy or kitty is from a breeder/mill if it being sold in a pet store. Normally if the local shelter/rescue is adopting out in that store they will have a sign stating what shelter they came from (and of course you would have to fill out an adoption application).
Indeed. Very good point L4H.
Old October 14th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes good point !! Around here it's easy to tell the difference but I don't know if that's regional or not. A pet store that does pet adoptions usually sells many pet supplies but only has dogs and cats on specified days...sometimes weekly, monthly or even semi annually. They are not there on a normal business day.

The pet stores that are supporting puppy mills sell mostly puppies in permanent cages lined up against the wall and maybe a few toys and bowls but mostly they're there to sell poorly bred, poorly treated, overpriced puppies.
Old October 15th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Here in Kingston, they have cats at pets stores permanently from the two local humane societies.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 15th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Here in Kingston, they have cats at pets stores permanently from the two local humane societies.
Ditto that here in Ottawa. Dogs very rarely, but cats all the time. Our newest addition was adopted this way...at a pet store, but through the OHS.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old October 15th, 2010, 07:40 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
mostly they're there to sell poorly bred, poorly treated, overpriced puppies.
Bingo,,,there is your sure fire way of knowing right off the bat if it's a rescue or puppymill animal...if the store is charging a large price for a mix breed,,,,It's not from a rescue....
Old October 15th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
Ditto that here in Ottawa. Dogs very rarely, but cats all the time. Our newest addition was adopted this way...at a pet store, but through the OHS.

Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Bingo,,,there is your sure fire way of knowing right off the bat if it's a rescue or puppymill animal...if the store is charging a large price for a mix breed,,,,It's not from a rescue....
That is for sure

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 16th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Willing cat servant

I got my Scully from Petland but as adoption. We had to fill out adoption forms, they gave us a folder with adoption documents. It said on her info she came from Rescue Kitten (well she was 1 year already back then).

I'd say please consider adoption either from the shelter itself or if the pet store works as an adoption center as with Scully and as mentioned by other members above.
Old October 16th, 2010, 02:56 PM
-

Everyone has posted great information but so far the OP hasn't been back to read any of it ....

Quote:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/member.php?u=41757

Last Activity: October 13th, 2010 11:13 AM
Old October 16th, 2010, 10:22 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Everyone has posted great information but so far the OP hasn't been back to read any of it ....
I had noticed that too. All this great advice and no OP to read it.
Funny, huh? Makes you wonder ............

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 16th, 2010, 10:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I had noticed that too. All this great advice and no OP to read it.
Funny, huh? Makes you wonder ............
Yep, sure does.