Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old April 7th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Update on Jag

First off i would like to thanks everyone for your help and your replies
I have cut his food back to 2.5 lbs a day.he's back looking for more food now.
Technodoll i have followed the advice you gave and only feeding ground beef.since i posted last about his soft poops.i don't want to jinks things but
we are now getting small soild poops.thanks again you all are the best. from Jag.

Last edited by angeldogs; April 7th, 2007 at 02:47 AM.
Old April 7th, 2007, 02:51 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

So it was the 4th that we started the ground beef and it's working already.
what can i give him to fill him up with him looking for more food again.that's why i raised his food because of his energy and still looking for food.and how can i tell if he is allergic to dairy like cottage cheese or yorgart.
Old April 7th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Remembering Lukka

I can't offer any advice on the raw feeding for Jag, I know TD and Scott are very knowledgeable on this however. I only wanted to say that I would love to hear that Jag has solid poop and his food issues are all fixed. Keep up the good work Jag.
Old April 7th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Honest Contributor

I am SO happy to hear there is progress! sometimes it's the simplest solution that works... To determine an "allergy", there is usually itching, scratching, foot biting, etc. But a dog can be fine with a food except he cannot digest it well (gets the runs) - to test this, you need to not feed the food in question for a few days, until Jag has firm nice poops. then, keep feeding the same thing but add some cottage cheese OR yogurt (one thing at a time) and check his poops again, if they are still the same as without the addition, then you are OK! if his poops get soft again, and the next meal you do NOT feed anything except the ground beef and his poops get ok again... there is your answer. Of course, do monitor the stick chewing and all that to make sure the test is "clean"

if he,s looking for more food, you can trick him by giving him a big pork neck bone, for example: lots of bone and not alot of meat, it's a workout and it will keep him occupied... "hey look food!" But if he starts breaking off pieces of bone, then it's not big or hard enough for him and you'll have to find something else.

At this point though, 2.5 lbs seems to be the trick in terms of food quantity (trust me, he is getting plenty of calories). You can try giving him whole raw eggs (cracked into his ground beef, with shell, or served whole and frozen for a fun treat). If poops are still solid, now try to add a LITTLE bone, such as some chicken necks or a frame (no skin or massive pieces, this is again just a test to see if he can digest bones).

If his poops go bad again, cut the bones, feed only ground beef, then try again with other bones such as pork riblets (small portion) - maybe he is allergic to chicken and this is one way to test it. Make sense?

Good luck and we are all crossing our fingers for Jag!! woo!!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 7th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Learning fast

What TD said.
hopeing you have Jag on the straight and narrow.
Old April 7th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Technodoll i have been giving him the cottage cheese or yorgart and whole eggs and his poops are still firming up.i have chicken,turkey and some pork ribblets also and some fish.so i will try him monday norning with some pork ribblets and see how that goes.thank you again
Lukka'sma thank you i hope they stay that way.
x.l.r.8 thank you for the crossing you fingers.
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Honest Contributor

angeldogs, how is jag doing now? are his poops better? what have you been feeding him the past week? for good news!

Old April 14th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Oh yes much better.we got the runs once and i put yogart in the ground beef.the next day no yogart good poops.the only thing in the poops was the wife defrosted 3 mackerel and he had what looked like a sack with it but it was firm. sorry i hadn't updated been busy getting a van so we can take Jag with us when we go out with the kids.
Old April 14th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Honest Contributor

so it seems jag might have trouble digesting dairy? all this "testing" is a pain but how else will you get to know your dog eh? glad he's better, have you tried adding some soft bones yet? ...

Old April 14th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Yes he's having bone.firm poop after vet with some watery poop.not much.but he had half a rabbit early this morning and i know it's rich meat.but the main was small and firm.