Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Cat food change

I just adopted a kitten ( ) and am going to be changing her food. I have a some of the food she was on so can do it gradually but she eats mostly canned food though and was wondering how I should go about gradually introducing a new canned food to her? It seems a little more tricky with wet food as I don't want to have to have more than two cans open in the fridge at once as they dont stay fresh long, but if I do the same method as with dry food (gradually mixing the two together over a couple weeks) it seems like I have no choice? Does changing canned food have to happen as gradually as dry food?

Also, what is a good brand of food for cats? Is it the same brands as with dogs (ie. Wellness, Solid Gold, etc)? Also, my dog is on Kirkland food because after trying her on various holistic foods it is the only one she doesn't get runny stools on. I noticed on the Costco web site they also make a Newman's Own Organics cat food and was wondering if this is comparable to other holistic cat foods? Here is an example of the ingredients for one of the flavours:

Chicken & Salmon:

Organic Chicken, Sufficient Water for Processing, Salmon, Ocean Whitefish, Brown Rice, Oat Bran, Flaxseed, Guar Gum, Dried Kelp, Tricalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Sea Salt, Carrageenan, Minerals (Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Aicd Chelate, Copper Amino Aicd Chelate, Manganese Amino Aicd Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodide), Vitamins (Vitamin E, A, D3, B12 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Bitoin), Taurine, Choline Chloride.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:

Crude Protein................10.0% (min)
Crude Fat.......................6.0% (min)
Crude Fiber....................1.0% (max)
Moisture........................78.0% (max)
Ash...............................2.0% (max)
Magnesium.....................0.025% (max)
Taurine..........................0.06% (min)

Right now she would need to stay on kitten food but is this a good food I could switch her to when she's an adult? Any advice on cat food very much appreciated... Any "Prins" of cat foods around here?