Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old February 18th, 2007, 04:41 PM

Innova Evo for cats?

Just wondering if anyone feeds their cats Innova Evo. We just recently switched our two cats to Innova adult (from Iams ) and they're doing fantastic! We've switched them gradually over the last month. My fluffy grey girl usually sheds a tonne, but I brushed her today and almost nothing came out in the brush and there isn't a cloud of fur following her.

We're thinking of switching them onto the Evo recipe (yay! no grains) but I'm not sure what the benefits are for cats. Obviously they need a lot of meat and the protein content is about 10-15% higher in Evo than the regular adult.

The only issue is that she is getting a bit matted, which never happened before, but may be due to the changes in her skin and fur from the better food. She's also been throwing up rather regularly which she's always done, but this is a little more than usual. It does seem as though it happens right after she eats so it's undigested food and if we don't clean it up immediately, she just eats it again. It's possible she's eating too fast. Also she's a bit stressed because we just moved to a new house and we have a new 4 month old puppy for her to deal with. Other than that there are no ill effects but if it continues after the full switch off Iams, we'll be off to the vet!
Old February 18th, 2007, 04:50 PM

Yeah, I think it's just eating too fast that's making her throw up... Evo for cats is good, but if you just switched them, you might want to give them a little time to adjust before switching them again. Or you could just switch them over really gradually.

The mats could be from the fur getting thicker form the better food and less shedding, but I'm not too familiar with kitties, so I'll let the kitty folks answer that one.
Old February 18th, 2007, 05:52 PM

One of my cats did get more mats when she was eating science diet (the Rx kind for their teeth). Now she's on Felidae and no mats, less shedding. This isn't exactly what you are seeing, but just mentioning that I did see a change in matting with diet. No change in hairballs, though, which she coughs up now and then.

For the too fast eating, you might try putting the food in a large tray (baking sheet) to slow the cat down or put something in the food bowl your cat has to work around, such as an overturned smaller bowl. For mine, it helped to switch to a food that required chewing, as opposed to small kibbles that could be swallowed whole. My other cat is a pig!
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:12 PM
-

I switched my cats to Innova Adult recently and have noticed less shedding. They don't have any mats either. They also get supplemented with canned food morning and night. The dry is left out 24/7.
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

i have mine on innova reg adult and they do wonderful on it. i tried switching to evo but they didnt like it as much, but i do like the evo products its what my dog gets. i would suggest giving your cat some time on reg innova to settle in with it before you switch and give her time to get used to all of the changes in her life
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Senior Contributor

All my cats are on Evo, and they all love it. They have been on it for about 1 year and you do see a big difference in shedding.
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Have three cats on Evo

You could also try adding just abit of the evo to the regular innova and as that bag runs out, feed less & less until they just get the evo. Just an idea.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:04 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm going to keep an eye on her and try to brush out her mats to see if they come back. It probably is just a change in her coat and she needs to adjust. I'll keep them on the Innova Adult Cat for a while and then slowly change them to the Evo once they've adjusted.