Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old March 19th, 2013, 09:46 AM

look at that cute face

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

So here the thing for today, when I leave for work in the morning DH is still in bed ( that's actually my I'm jealous face....) so the pups go out on the back porch with a carrot each and some toys to spend some time until daddy gets up. They love being outside for the most part, so it's not a big deal.

The "thing" comes in the form of a very nice lady who lives a block away who walks past the house, and she lets herself into the yard and up onto the deck to say hello to the puppies. She's very cautious about making sure they don't get out, she has a very old dog of her own that is not usually with her because she goes for a long walk in the mornings. So I'm not worried about her intentions, or about her letting the pups out by mistake, but when she leaves they get all upset and fussy and that wakes DH.

Of course part of me doesn't care if he gets woken up because it's already normally at least 3 hours after I've been woken up.... argh.... Should I just politely ask her not to come in because it upsets the pups when she leaves? I know I should tell her, but the thought of it makes me feel bad. She just adores them. Well she's super nice to us too!
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I would tell her not to come into your yard, the puppies will be getting bigger and stronger and they could escape from your yard.
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

DD, she's just ADORABLE!!!!
At first, she looked as though she was going to be silver, but she's actually a sable!!!! That's mine and Shaun's favorite color
It's so hard to tell when they're babies.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old March 19th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Rgeurts, yes her colouring has changed quite dramatically in the last couple weeks actually. She's gotten much more sable on the head and chest and much darker on her back. For the longest time she had a real wooly type of coat with very few long hairs, now the long hairs are back but very dark.

This is a picture of her parents.
Attached Images

Old March 19th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Her parents are gorgeous! The one walking looks very proud, is that the dad?
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes that is Jaxx the dad and Mylie laying down is the mom.
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oooo...that's a toughie with the neighbor. I suppose you could tell her that you've heard stories of dogs getting stolen, so you've decided to put a padlock on the gate and apologize to her because she'll no longer be able to come in the yard to say "hi". That way, she can still stop by and make nice-nice through the fence, but maybe not get them so upset when she leaves that they wake up DH? And even if they still wake him up, at least the pups are a little safer and less likely to bowl her over when they get bigger and make a great escape!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 19th, 2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Oooo...that's a toughie with the neighbor. I suppose you could tell her that you've heard stories of dogs getting stolen, so you've decided to put a padlock on the gate and apologize to her because she'll no longer be able to come in the yard to say "hi". That way, she can still stop by and make nice-nice through the fence, but maybe not get them so upset when she leaves that they wake up DH? And even if they still wake him up, at least the pups are a little safer and less likely to bowl her over when they get bigger and make a great escape!
I think that is a great idea! I honestly couldn't think of how I would handle it, but that is a good idea. You could also say they are getting big and will be even bigger so for her own safety too, the gate will be locked now.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old March 19th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I recently spoke to DH about putting a lock on the gates because the plan is to let the dogs stay outside when nobody is home. I told him that I worry that someone would steal them. He thinks I'm an idiot basically. That's never going to happen.... Besides they have chips and we can tattoo them.... I explained that if they got stolen you would have to actually find them again before you could prove the chip or tattoo made them yours. He doesn't want to put locks on the gates. I explained how them being purebreds, male and female, young, they would be prime targets for theft. He still thinks I'm nuts.
Old March 19th, 2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
I recently spoke to DH about putting a lock on the gates because the plan is to let the dogs stay outside when nobody is home. I told him that I worry that someone would steal them. He thinks I'm an idiot basically. That's never going to happen.... Besides they have chips and we can tattoo them.... I explained that if they got stolen you would have to actually find them again before you could prove the chip or tattoo made them yours. He doesn't want to put locks on the gates. I explained how them being purebreds, male and female, young, they would be prime targets for theft. He still thinks I'm nuts.
I think these days you just can't be careful enough! I would even think of the darn teenagers that have nothing better to do with their time and could go and open the gate and let them out! oi! I would just be so paranoid, I think a lock is good. My little ones are always inside, and I still worry about them when I am gone and they are alone, and I always make sure the alarm is on!

Old March 19th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Yes that is Jaxx the dad and Mylie laying down is the mom.
I knew it ! Jaxx looked so 'male' to me the way he carry himself.
Old March 19th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

gorgeous mom and dad!! I would be sooo paranoid about leaving them out!! I'd be putting locks on everything!! Even with a run I'd be nervous. Mind you Bayley barks and stays away from people she doesn't know.
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I knew of people that had some husky that where so friendly the owners got a watch dog to keep people from stealing them. The cops been warning people where I live to not leave their dogs outside or in a car alone as there has people stealing dogs to sell to labs for drug money . I never leave my dogs outside after I had my Samoyed stolen and chips where not around then.
Old March 20th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

See my feeling is even with a chip, it won't find your dog, it will only prove it's your dog - if the dog is stolen that is. If it's lost and turned in to the pound then yes your dog may come home.
Old March 20th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

DD I think a chip is still worth its weight! If your pup gets loose and looses its collar and someone picks him up they can at least identify who it belongs too! The other side of the coin is that if your dog is stolen and the person does take it to a vet then there is a chance of them scanning for a chip and finding a different owner?? To me that is worth it.

DD the pups look so awesome! their growing like weeds...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 20th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
See my feeling is even with a chip, it won't find your dog, it will only prove it's your dog - if the dog is stolen that is. If it's lost and turned in to the pound then yes your dog may come home.
http://www.animalhumanesociety.org/s...ipsaveslostdog

This web site said having your dog microchip increase the chances of it being return home.
Old March 20th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

These two have chips already, and we may get them tattoo'd when we spay/neuter them, we'll see. The only thing with the chips and tattoo's is, like I said, the dog still needs to be found first and if they are stolen.... I don't like the idea of leaving them outside, but DH is home 90% of the time. After our experience with Shadow though, outside is a better choice. I do want to work on the crate training with them so they could stay inside also. They don't like staying in the crates during the day, they crate like a dream at night though. Go figure! They have also nearly outgrown their crates, next step is the XL crates. $$$ (x2).
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
These two have chips already, and we may get them tattoo'd when we spay/neuter them, we'll see. The only thing with the chips and tattoo's is, like I said, the dog still needs to be found first and if they are stolen.... I don't like the idea of leaving them outside, but DH is home 90% of the time. After our experience with Shadow though, outside is a better choice. I do want to work on the crate training with them so they could stay inside also. They don't like staying in the crates during the day, they crate like a dream at night though. Go figure! They have also nearly outgrown their crates, next step is the XL crates. $$$ (x2).
If you do get your puppies tattoo I would NOT do it on their ears. When I got my hearing dog I was told the dogs uses to get their ears tattoo, but when the dog was stolen the poor dog ear would be cut off! So the dogs got chips instead. People loves to steal well trained dogs . I know you're very good dog owners , it's the people that steal dogs that have me worried.
Old March 21st, 2013, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

I was thinking more like the groin area for a tattoo, underbelly. Since their ears stick up erect I wouldn't want the tattoo to be visible (just for vanity). Shadow had one in her ear and she had erect ears and you couldn't see it, but why chance it.
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Just a couple of pics from yesterday. It was finally not raining! Lupa was quite enjoying a siesta in the sun.
Attached Images

Old March 25th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Your puppies are so beautiful and they're getting so big. How old are they now?
Old March 25th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Lupa (the grey girl) will be 4 months on April 2, and Nikki will be 4 months on April 7. She's nearing 35 lbs and he's 40. And thank you for the compliment.
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Lupa (the grey girl) will be 4 months on April 2, and Nikki will be 4 months on April 7. She's nearing 35 lbs and he's 40. And thank you for the compliment.
Nikki does have huge paws to grow into. They're going to be really beautiful dogs when they're full grown.

Last edited by Barkingdog; March 26th, 2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:41 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They're getting so big, DD!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 27th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Half Way To Crazy

they are getting bigger every time I see them

Old March 27th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel and Breeze yes they are getting big. Nikki is 40 lbs now! And Lupa is not far behind. I am liking letting them sleep on the back deck now though, we all sleep better, and I kinda get a kick out of me waking them up in the morning!
Old March 27th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Wow look at them grow!! Gorgeous pups!! Nice to see green grass too!! One of the advantages to being in Vancouver.
Old March 27th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I just want to go home and hug those puppies right now....
Old March 27th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

When I had my first girl speyed I got the vet to tatto Ian's initials inside her upper thigh, but stopping them from being stolen is the smart move. Get the lock on the gate, DD. Knew someone here who had a sheltie stolen from her back yard, a dog that was a Grand Ch and also an Obedience Ch. Imagine the bond she would have had with that dog. It would have been heart breaking for her to lose him. If I have to put my dogs in our dog yards and be away for even a day, I put locks on the gates. Your pups are looking splendid.