Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 26th, 2019, 11:26 AM
3 year old rescue poodle

Newly adopted adult dog refuses to eliminate in the rain

Hi there,

I recently adopted a miniature poodle from Korea. Things have been going pretty smoothly but yesterday and today we have come across a big hiccup. My dog hates being out in the rain and won’t even potty. I am having to drag him to his peeing area and waiting for him for what seems like forever. He will just stand there and stare into space. After forcing him to walk a tiny bit, he will eventually have one quick squirt before he tries to rush back inside. This is frustrating cuz we live in Vancouver and as you all know, it rains a lot here!! I’ve also been trying to teach him to go on command and I don’t know if this rain is helping or making things worse.
Anyway, any help would be much appreciated.

This is my first post and I look forward to getting to know you all .
Mary
Old March 26th, 2019, 11:53 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, I feel your pain, Mary! None of our dogs likes to be wet, so it can be a struggle to get them to go. About the only thing you can do is stick with it and eventually, your consistency will pay off.

Not sure how much dog experience you have, so I'll just start with basic suggestions.

Buy a good raincoat if you don't have one! But seriously, when it's time for a potty trip, your patience will last much longer if you're comfortable out there. You want to make sure you can out-wait your fella. He'll figure out that the faster he goes, the faster he gets to go back inside where it's dry.

Is he housebroken on dry days or is this his first experience with elimination training? If this is his first experience, then treat him just like a pup. Take him out frequently and don't forget to praise him when he goes outside.

As for teaching him to go on command, does he know, yet, what the command means? Timing is everything--if you give the command and then wait for the act, it'll take a lot longer than if you wait for him to go by himself, and repeat your command while he's in the act. Of course, in the early days, waiting for the act is more frustrating for the humans, since we'd like them to just go and get it over with, already! But it's easier for them to grasp the command if they hear it at the right moment.

What's your pup's name? I hope you share some pics with us when you have time! And welcome to the board!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 26th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

When your does go outside give a treat or praise him. I had a hearing dog and was
told to give a treat after he went . The command I was given is "You better go now" and I kept saying it until he went. I did this with
another dog while he was peeing so he knew
What I want to do . He caught on pretty fast and went on command. This helps a lot living in New England. Welcome and I would 💘 to see photos of your 🐕
Old March 26th, 2019, 05:57 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Agree with everyone
Our command is pee pee or go do your business
Would love to see some pics...
Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 26th, 2019, 10:30 PM
3 year old rescue poodle

thanks for your replies, everyone!

so, Melo came to me just over a week ago from a foster mom who used pee pads as well as going outside. I understand why she did it...she lives in a high rise and has 4 dogs so it's not that easy to take the dogs out. also Melo was marking quite a bit in her apartment so she used the pee pads and also used belly bands.
when he came to my house, I decided that I wanted him to be trained to go outside ONLY. I have basically been treating him like a puppy and taking him out every hour or so and keeping him in just the kitchen/family room area. so far he has had very few accidents.
I really don't know much about his history (eg if he was housebroken etc). all I know is that he was used as a sire for a backyard breeder. as a result, he was neutered very late (about a month and a half ago) and maybe that is the reason why he marks so much inside and outside.
since I decided to try to make him eliminate on command,i have tried to do what all the youtube videos say to do. stay in a small area, put him on a leash, say the magic words ("Go Peepee" is what I say) and then praise and reward him when he's done. so far it hasn't worked. haha...
the one thing that confuses me about this whole process is do you keep saying go peepee again and again until he pees or do you wait till he lifts his legs and starts peeing? there seems to be two different methods used here. also do you only do this when you take him out just to eliminate or do you use the command even when you take him on a walk and he starts to pee? finally what do you do if your dog never pees everything out at once and pees in small increments cuz he is a marker?
anyway, I really don't mind standing out there for 10-15 mins if I have to on a nice clear night but it really sucks to do it on a rainy night or early morning when he is just standing there doing nothing or tugging on his leash to try to get back inside the house without peeing.
I will keep at it and see how it goes.

this is the first dog I have owned in about 10 years. my last dog was a teacup yorkie who only went on paper. we trained him to do so when he was a puppy so he was a pro at it. all the other dogs I've taken care of were already trained and did their business quickly when let out.

thank again for your replies.
Attached Images

Old March 27th, 2019, 03:46 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

What a handsome boy

We use the same words for potty training!! My opinion and what has worked for me is this you keep saying go peepee again and again until he pees then reward and make a big deal about it...Jump up and down if you have to or yes good boy!! whatever works for him to understand that is what you want him to do. Any time his nose goes to the ground and he starts to go yes praise praise and praise. I also used to start talking as soon as they let me know to go outside...I would say do you have to go pee pee or do your business...and mine eventually got excited as I was asking and then they would go and and I would praise...
On a walk if they havent gone pretty quickly I begin talking and asking do you have to go pee pee and so on....he will get it eventually just time and yes patience LOL

I also used bells on the door knob once my girl had the basics down so she could tell me when she needed to go outside. It works too...My Sophie was funny though she started ringing the bells quite frequently just so she could go outside and play LOL

Best of luck
Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 27th, 2019, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Once my dog started peeing I said good boy and gave him a treat . He was very well
trained being a service dog. The dog I got afterwards took his time peeing I think he was
trying to stay outside longer. He was part poodle. They are so smart so your dog may know what you want him to do but just want to go back inside 😊 your dog is good looking
Old March 27th, 2019, 09:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, my! He's so handsome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo View Post
I have basically been treating him like a puppy and taking him out every hour or so and keeping him in just the kitchen/family room area. so far he has had very few accidents.
Perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo View Post
the one thing that confuses me about this whole process is do you keep saying go peepee again and again until he pees or do you wait till he lifts his legs and starts peeing? there seems to be two different methods used here. also do you only do this when you take him out just to eliminate or do you use the command even when you take him on a walk and he starts to pee? finally what do you do if your dog never pees everything out at once and pees in small increments cuz he is a marker?
Generally, if we're out the very first time in the morning, I'll give the command once right away, since it's a pretty good bet that there's a full bladder in play. Then, once the dog is peeing, give the command again as part of the praise ("Go peepee, good job!") The rest of the time, I'll watch for the signals that the dog gives off when there's a full bladder or a poopy imminent, get them outside when I see the signals, then praise the same way, using the command in the praise phrase, while they're eliminating. If you're on a walk, use the same technique. Once he's sort of caught on to the command cue, you can start taking him out and using the command to inspire him to do his job.

As for the marking, praise him no matter how big or small the squirt.

Just be consistent, and patient, and it'll happen

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 28th, 2019, 07:50 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I just want to say welcome Melo! - What a handsome dooger!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 29th, 2019, 12:13 AM
3 year old rescue poodle

thank you everyone for your help. I will keep trying and let you know how things go. since I posted my question, it hasn't rained again ... hopefully we will get this eliminating on command thing mastered before the rain comes back (not holding my breath...it is Vancouver we're talking about after all!) .

also thanks for your sweet compliments. yes, I think he's pretty darn cute too.
Old March 29th, 2019, 04:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Maybe it will be a drier than normal spring

Tags
pee on command, potty training, rain