Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 19th, 2011, 03:20 AM

Big dog in apartment?

Are there any breeds of dog that can live in an apartment? Ive heard that Samoyeds can live in apartments as long as they get a good amount of workout every day. Im just interested in more breeds of big dogs that you can have in apartment.
Old October 19th, 2011, 04:31 AM
Senior Contributor

as long as they get the exercise they need, any large dog can live in an apartment, grey hounds are couch potatoes, so are labs if taken out at least 3 times a day for a good run.
Old October 19th, 2011, 06:57 AM

Danes are also good apartment dogs. They tend to be calm indoors. Going through puppy stage with a large breed in a apartment might be difficult though.
Old October 19th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

I've always wondered at those claims made that some giant breeds are good for apartments, (Newfs, Danes, Saints) because their exercise requirements are relatively low. They still have to go out to bathroom. And they do need some exercise.

So isn't it just that once you get them out they don't need to be out as long or go at it as hard as say a Lab? But they still need out. So to my mind it boils down to how much time the owner has to spend exercising and working with the dog and not how many times up and down the stairs or elevator to get out, it's how long you stay out that counts and that is not a factor of being in an apartment? Comments?
Old October 19th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

exactly longblades as I was saying, doesn't matter where they lay their heads....umm bodies*L* as long as all their exercise requirement are met, and that is up to the owner.
Old October 19th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

House or apartment you need to take your dogs out to exercise them. As much as possible. Especially younger dogs. Large dogs can be very active - such as Malamutes, labs, etc., other large breeds are very content to be a couch potato (labs can fall into both categories). But regardless of them being "content" to sit in the apartment, they still need the mental and physical stimulation of outside training, socialization, exercise, etc. A tired dog is a good dog.
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
I've always wondered at those claims made that some giant breeds are good for apartments, (Newfs, Danes, Saints) because their exercise requirements are relatively low. They still have to go out to bathroom. And they do need some exercise.

So isn't it just that once you get them out they don't need to be out as long or go at it as hard as say a Lab? But they still need out. So to my mind it boils down to how much time the owner has to spend exercising and working with the dog and not how many times up and down the stairs or elevator to get out, it's how long you stay out that counts and that is not a factor of being in an apartment? Comments?

+1 - 100% agree.

The only additional points i have to make is that...
1 - the temperature of the apartment might make a difference to a samoyed. We all know hot air rises so if there isn't any AC, your Samoyed may be very warm at certain times of the year. If this is the case, then a house with a basement would be better imo for dogs that love the cold.
2 - If the apartment has a lot of clutter OR has antique-like valuables lying around and you are very concerned about damage...a big breed (especially ones with very active tails and especially if they are active puppies and you are out all day long ) might not be best in that case.

As mentioned several times in this thread, apartment living in no way should imply reduced exercise.

Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Taking it a step further, IF an apartment dweller does not have the yard care responsibilities a homeowner does, no grass cutting, snow blowing to mention only the two biggies. THEN that owner has more time to spend with their dog so is actually in a better position due to having more time to devote to exercise.

Ok, I'm being silly. But, hey, I did take Logic 101 at University. If p then q.
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
+1 - 100% agree.

The only additional points i have to make is that...
1 - the temperature of the apartment might make a difference to a samoyed. We all know hot air rises so if there isn't any AC, your Samoyed may be very warm at certain times of the year. If this is the case, then a house with a basement would be better imo for dogs that love the cold.
I have to disagree with this one, both my dogs (actually all my dogs) love the cold, and even though in the winter the house is warm for us humans or in the summer where the house is still very hot and humid my dogs never go down into the basement where it's cooler.
Old November 5th, 2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanjaBelieve View Post
Are there any breeds of dog that can live in an apartment? Ive heard that Samoyeds can live in apartments as long as they get a good amount of workout every day. Im just interested in more breeds of big dogs that you can have in apartment.
Is this for yourself ? In an earlier thread you mentioned moving to a big house out in the country and you already had a German shepherd?
Old November 8th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I agree with BenMax, it is not about the breed, it is about the individual dog. Keeping neighbours and the landlord happy is a must in condo/apt living, so having a dog that is not a barker or gets anxious when the owners are at work is so very important.

Dogs will adapt to a routine, so having 5000 sq ft or 500 sq ft is of no difference to a dog.

Love you suggestions of going to a rescue that has fostered dogs, BenMax. They will be able to match you up with a dog that meets your needs

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 8th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Love you suggestions of going to a rescue that has fostered dogs, BenMax. They will be able to match you up with a dog that meets your needs
When in doubt, go the rescue route!
Having well over 200 fosters in my lifetime, I knew these animals very well and was able to successfully pass on information about the dog (or cat) and advise what is the best for the animal. Granted, I did have large and small dogs that were not for appartment or condo living based on their behaviours and activity level...as well as their vocal communication..
Old November 8th, 2011, 02:16 PM

You can't generalize about the dog's size or even breed being a precursor to if the dog will fit well in apartment living.

I know examples of all sorts of large breeds, GSDs, Pointers, Great Danes, Newfs, where the dog is either a couch potato that would do fine in an apartment with adequate exercise, or ones that are energetic nut balls that would be bouncing off the walls.

Honestly, there really isn't that much of a difference to the dog if he's living in a 1000 sq ft apartment or a 1100 sq ft bungalow with a small yard. It all comes down to the owner's commitment level and available time and energy to keep the dog exercises and entertained. An apartment dweller has no choice but to take the dog out for a walk, some one in the house can easily chuck the dog in the backyard and never walk it. The space you live in is by no means an indication of how dedicated of a dog owner you are.

That aside, would I want to live in a 500 sq ft condo with a large shedding drooling Newf regardless of how lazy it is? No, you would constantly be bumping into the dog, personally it would drive me nuts. Even if the dog is lazy, all dogs get the occasional zoomies or a desire to stretch out a little.

If you do want a near sure bet, the only dogs I can think of would be retired racing greyhounds, and you would be saving a life. Otherwise case by case rescue, where you can fairly evaluate the dog's ability to live in an apartment and be happy. Samoyeds, since they have been mentioned I think of as outdoorsy dogs, not ones that like to sit inside. Plus they can be pretty vocal, some thing that could get you kicked out in an apartment.