Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 19th, 2006, 08:28 PM

Question about a dogs behavior...

hey guys!
well theres a pit bull 2 doors down that is the most adorable doggie ive ever seen... i dont know a lot about dogs... ive only had dogs when i was little but i dont even remember having them.
ok down to business... the dog well she/he looks well trained and everything but when anoth dog comes around and she/he is outside she/he goes CRAZY growling and barky and lunging for the dog about 30 minutes ago i saw the pit bull doing that to a tiny little dog like a weener dog... now she/he was tied up so she/he couldnt get to the little walk that was being walked but there have been 2 times in the past 3 weeks that ive seen the owner chasing after her/him because it got loose.. should i be worried about this dog? i mean is it a potential danger seeing as how the dog reacts with other dogs around? the sun is coming out its getting warmer theres a dog park about 10 blocks down so theres dogs all over the place around here... should i be worried this dog if it gets loose will go after another dog? i dont want any animals getting hurt and honestly i dont think the dog would hurt a human but i havent seen anyone but the owners pet her/him so i dunno.
any advice?

-Sarah
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Pit bulls are typically very loving to all people, but can be aggressive towards other dogs, some more than others. BUT they can be trained to behave themselves in public, and should be.

Being aggressive to other dogs has nothing to do with being aggressive to people, which pit bulls should never be.

NO responsible pit bull owner allows their dog to get loose, leaves it tied up where other dogs may approach it, or takes it to a dog park. This is very irresponsible and these people are who are causing these dogs to be banned.

So yes, if this dog is getting loose it can be a danger to other dogs and the owner needs to be more responsible.
Old April 20th, 2006, 01:34 AM

thank you for your reply...
i will deffinetly keep an eye out for the dog if it gets loose again... it seems to be a loving and happy dog since whenever i see it its got this huge grin on its face with its tongue hanging out lol...
when the dog is outside hes out there with it hanging out in the garage and the dog is tied to something between the 2 cars in the driveway and its for a couple hours on the nice days... if i continue to see the dog getting loose what should i do... and should i do something about the fact that the guy isnt doing anything about his dog trying its hardest to go after other dogs?.. he has children and they are all perfectly happy with the dog so i think its only agressive towards other dogs but then again i didnt see if the owner was afraid to go up to the dog when it was growling but i heard him trying to talk loud to the dog to calm it(he had to yell because the dog was being SO loud.. it was so loud it scared my cat baby under the bed)
Old April 20th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Senior Contributor

question

To avoid a future disaster let animal control know what you've witnessed and they'll probably talk to the guy about keeping better control of the dog and security issues.
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:05 AM

okies thank you for your advice i will surely call them in the morning.