Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 29th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Animal Nut!

HELP. UTI back for the 3rd time

Hi, Lexie's UTI is back for the third time in two months. At the moment I cant get into the vets as they are shut, I called the vet who said "wait till the morning" but the poor cat is walking around the house, squatting and trying to pee. Is there anything I can do to help her.

Pam and lexie

R.I.P. Cassie, one of my greatest LOVES. My Rotti.(The Gentle Giant).

We all seek the same in life, friendship, love, companionship and faithfulness, all this we can get unconditionally from an animal. Makes you wonder why we humans think we're so bloody special!
Old April 29th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Pam,Sorry to hear that,poor Lexie:sad:
I have no advice to give,hopefully someone else does is there no vet open on Sunday??
Then again,I believe you are about 14 hours ahead/behind? us,so it will soon be Monday morning,right?
Old April 29th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Animal Nut!

Thanks Chico. Its actually 12.30am on monday morning here in NZ, and I should be asleep.

Shes actually decided to go to bed, so she's stopped trying to pee on everything in the house (my poor baby).

One good thing about Lexie is that she seems to be getting a little more regulated with her diabetes. Her pre shot number this evening was low enough for me to skip the insulin tonight!!!!! yay!

I'd better get some sleep so I can get her to the vet first thing.
Thanks for the well wishes.
Pam, Lexie and Quin

We all seek the same in life, friendship, love, companionship and faithfulness, all this we can get unconditionally from an animal. Makes you wonder why we humans think we're so bloody special!
Old April 29th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Senior Contributor

That's what I thought,hopefully the vet can help her get rid of this one thing for all.
I am glad about her diabetes beeing under control,I too had a cat(Peppi) who needed insulin,he lived to be 17yrs old,when he was stricken with cancer:sad:
Good Luck today!!
Old April 29th, 2007, 07:12 PM

A friend of mine has had good luck with this stuff in treating recurrent UTI's:

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...ce/140041.aspx
Old April 29th, 2007, 09:31 PM
-

How is Lexi today?
Old April 30th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Animal Nut!

Gosh, sorry I thought I had posted a reply Rainbow.

Lex seems to be fine. She had a dose of Morphine, (apparently its hard to find a pain med for diabetic cats).

She has had one small pee. She is only eating raw fish, seems she has gone off all red meat.
I will try and get a sterile urine sample to the vet (her bladder was totally empty today as she peed in the cat cage on the way to the vet) so he said it was a waste of time doing the needle thing as when he squeezed her bladder nothing came out.

He gave her 3 weeks worth or antibiotics (baytrill) she was on that before but only for 2 weeks, so im hoping that the 3wk dose will knock this on the head. I have been told by several ppl that it could be something else... is that possible when the antibiotics seem to be working???

anyway, on a more positive note... as you all know Lexie is diabetic, and last night her glucose numbers were low enough for me NOT to give her any insulin, and this morning they were low enough for me to give only 1/4 of her regular dose! atleast something is looking up for us!

thanks to all who have asked after her. It is appreciated.
Pam and lexie

Last edited by Quins-mum; April 30th, 2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:55 PM
-

Glad to hear that Lexie's diabetes is under control. Baytil is a good antibiotic and, hopefully, it will get rid of the UTI once and for all this time.
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:43 PM
Animal Nut!

Thanks Rainbow.
We had another incident last night, where she vomited red (blood stained) bile with red flecks thru it.

She did have some hamburger meat at lunchtime, So im hoping it was the blood from that which caused the discolouration.

I called the emergency vet, who said to keep an eye on her, and if she didnt eat then I was to take her in.

Well she has been eating (quite a bit actually) and purring and grooming herself. Her tummy doesnt seem sore to touch.

Im watching her today, for vomit, and to see what colour her stools are. (I would think that if she is bleeding internally, her stools may be black.

Its so frustrating and very heartbreaking.

Thanks once again for your warm wishes, sometimes its that which keeps me sane
Pam

Old May 1st, 2007, 05:46 PM

Does she actually pee or just make the gesture to pee? Did the vet consider stones or crystals?
Has she had any blood tests to make sure her kidneys are ok?

I hope she's ok.
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:55 PM
Animal Nut!

Hi Prin,
Yes the vet did suggest stones or crystals, but he couldnt get a sample from her (we were going to do the C+S test).

The blood has gone from her urine, and she seems to be alot better with regards to the UTI. (no straining or squatting every 5 seconds)

Full bloods were done just over 2 months ago...or maybe even less. They showed high liver enzymes (prob due to unregulated diabetes) and she was slightly dehydrated, everything else was good.

Thanks also your your good wishes.
Pam

Old May 1st, 2007, 08:42 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

your way for Lexie. Is there a different broad spectrum antibiotic the vet could try rather than Baytrill? I know with us humans, if one type (like the penicillin family) stops working, the next step is a different type (like the Sulfa drugs). It has to be so tough getting her medicated with her diabetes, and not having anything coming out, you can't get a read on crystals or not :/ Good luck, I so hope this time the antibiotics work fully

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:59 PM
Animal Nut!

Thanks Jawert.

I think if this course of antibiotics dont work I will definatly need to do the c+s and other tests.

Thanks for the I can feel them already.

Pam and Lexie

Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:30 AM

Poor Lexie that your baby feels better soon. Glad to hear that her diabetes is getting better-ish though!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Pam hugs to you and Lexie and thank's for not giving up on her
Rocky had to have a urine-test and the vet kept him for the day,I am not sure what they did,but they got urine to test..
With my diabetic cat Peppi,I just followed him to the litterbox and put a little paper-cup under him to catch the pee,he gave me some weird looks,but it worked
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:05 PM
Animal Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Pam hugs to you and Lexie and thank's for not giving up on her
Rocky had to have a urine-test and the vet kept him for the day,I am not sure what they did,but they got urine to test..
With my diabetic cat Peppi,I just followed him to the litterbox and put a little paper-cup under him to catch the pee,he gave me some weird looks,but it worked
That sounds like what i do for lexie. The vet is always impressed at the amount of urine I take in to him!

I could never give up on any of my furies Chico. Sometimes, with all the issues that lexie has, I feel overwhelmed, (and financially drained), but all i have to do is look at her and my heart melts...Im her mum and shes my "baby-doll".

Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Lexie is one lucky kitty,my diabetic cat Peppi was doing well,until at about 17yrs old,the big bad ugly cancer hit him.
Then we had to give up:sad: it's a long time ago,but this gentle wonderful cat will always be in my heart.
Here is a pic of Peppi and baby Rocky
Attached Images

Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:01 PM
Animal Nut!

Peppi's white! how beautiful! and Rocky looks like a little mountain lion!They look so sweet. Its sad when the big bad Cancer gets them.

Old May 4th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Quinsmom,yes Peppi was white,not to be confused with my now 5yr old Vinnie in my avatar,who's also white..very much alive
Hopefully we'll have some good news about Lexie soon
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quins-mum
I have been told by several ppl that it could be something else... is that possible when the antibiotics seem to be working???
I think that is possible because when my kitty was being treated for a bladder infection it was shortly after that the big problem was discovered to be cancer, every situation is different of course. I guess his health was just compromised all around so the first obvious sign was the bladder infection and diabetes. If her bloodwork was fine two months ago you probably don't have to worry about cancer though. Anyway I just thought I'd mention that if she is not on probiotics I think it is probably a good idea since shes been on so many antibiotics. Hope things improve for her from here.