Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old September 9th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Senior Contributor

So sad--Grace's first day of school

Today was Grace's first day of school, and she was STOKED!! Daddy...not so much. Yes, I'm a big enough man to admit I teared up a bit.

Anyway, I didn't want to threadjack to baby thread, so here's a couple of pictures of her first day of school.

It's kind of neat for me, because there are still those who were around when I announced that Mrs. Schwinn was pregnant with Grace, and have seen her grow up.

So, for you guys...vaklempt with me!
Attached Images

Old September 9th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I also want to brag about the coolest thing I've ever gotten for my bike (and I've got some cool stuff!). The Trail Gator...it's like a tow bar for the kid's bike. The neat thing is, it folds up against my bike for when Grace wants to ride on her own, but if she's tired, or we're going on a long ride, I can hook her up to me. Here we are on Pelee Island where we first used it, and she had a BLAST! She giggled like a maniac, then figured out that she could kind of steer Daddy's bike by throwing her weight. For any of you guys who want to ride with your kids, I can't say enough about it for two reasons--1, she LOVED it, and 2, when I e-mailed the company because I lost the storage bracket, within an hour of hitting send, they were mailing me a new one for free (I promised I would brag about it...so here I am!)

And yes, that is a kid's size "real" bike shirt she's wearing. Mrs. Schwinn nearly killed me when I brought it home last season. Every time I went patrolling, I'd pick it up in the shop, then put it back, "Nope. Too expensive". Then, on my last patrol day, I walked in, and it was the last one, so I bought it. This may be why Mrs. Schwinn calls me the big marshmellow (complete with annoying song...)
Attached Images

Old September 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM

Awww Grace looked adorable in pink for her first day

I wasn't here when Grace was born but I was when Maddy was and look at her! growing like a weed catching up to big sis. What a pair of cuties

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Your posts made me smile - cute pix!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 10th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the first day of school. Trust me it gets much easier....
Come on first day of school, please come sooner.......
Glad to see that you are enjoying your Tail Gator. We almost bought one this year as well. We have two boys who won't ride bicycles- they are 7 and 5. Seriously, not interested in it at all- we thought this might be a good introduction.
Cheers.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:06 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Maddy looks so envious and Grace looks like she's on the top of the world in that first pic! They are such cuties, Schwinn ...and growing up way too fast (though from what little I can remember, growing up has a big priority and it can't come fast enough when you're at that age... ) Did Grace love her first day?

That bike gizmo is pretty cool. Is it difficult to attach? And how do you carry it on your bike before you need it? I know....it's probably all perfectly obvious, but hazel has never seen anything like that before

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Kitty pimp

the adventure begins
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwww, first day of school is such a big event in a childs life, I hope she had a wonderful day.

As for the biking . Reminds me of my daughter (now 25 years, lol). We bought her a Norco bike when she was 3, then a pink peugot one when she was 5. We biked all over the place (lived in Germany where they have wonderful bike paths and cars respect bikers) and didn't have the "tow bar" like what you had, so any slight uphill DH had to bike beside her and push her back to help her peddle.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I do remember those days. Recently I dropped my child off to university!!! I can so relate to your day as my day was very similiar as another stage of life. My daughter now lives in a different province and though I consider myself as being pretty tough, I did have a 'moment' to see her kiss me good bye and head off in the opposite direction.

Enjoy these days as time moves by so very quickly.
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Aw Schwinn, I remember it all. Grace and Maddy are getting so big!! First day of school. Wow. That seems like forever ago for me now, but I remember that same feeling when my son headed to Australia for a year. Oh man, I couldn't believe my little baby was leaving! It all goes by in such a blur. That is a very cool bike bar you have. We didn't have those when my son was younger. Embrace every emotion and every moment, they grow up too fast.
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Grace loved her first day, and yes, Maddy was upset. We walked to school, and Maddy insisted on wearing her back pack. She was some ticked when she didn't get to go in with Grace! This morning, Grace had a started to cry when she found out she wasn't going today. I take that as a good sign. We'll see how long this lasts! (Hopefully longer than I did!)

And yes, Hazle, it does store on the bike when not in use. There's a bracket attached to the back wheel that holds it so you can ride separately. (That's the part that got lost, and the company is shipping me a new one) Everything is a quick release, so you can quickly hook and unhook. It's also a great work out. Grace wanted to "bike mountain" like Daddy, so I took her up a steep hill, then down the other side. She screamed and giggled all the way down. I, however, sucked wind. When we were leaving the park, I stopped pedaling to catch my breath, and realized we were speeding up! Turned around, and it was Grace "pushing" us. Cool, my own little chauffer! Now if I could just get her to pedal up the hills...
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

You have some beautiful girls!! Those pictures completley choke me up. Our daughter is slowly approaching the 'two' mark, and we're constantly thinking about all those milestones to come. (Bike riding, first day of school, etc.) Thanks for the pictures, they are great!!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:13 PM
-

Wow , she has grown I'm glad she liked her first day

Wait until she gets a bf ..... my nephew actually got married in kindagarden , really , he met a little girl and they decided they were married it actually lasted a couple of years too , better than some adults

he's now 10 yr old , they don't say they're married anymore but they are still friends
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:34 PM
You can call me DOG!

What a great post Schwinn! They're so darn cute especially when the older one goes to school and the younger one is upset that they're leaving. That will all change soon!

It brings back memories of my girls and there 1st days although 1 is in her last year of university and the other is in her last year of high school. :sad:

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old September 12th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Wow , she has grown I'm glad she liked her first day

Wait until she gets a bf ..... my nephew actually got married in kindagarden , really , he met a little girl and they decided they were married it actually lasted a couple of years too , better than some adults

he's now 10 yr old , they don't say they're married anymore but they are still friends
Bf?? I don't know, I think I'll finally be used to the idea when she has her first one AT 30!!

Thanks for the compliments guys. I can't Grace is already at school, and Maddy is chatting up a storm. Mrs. Schwinn said something about a third the other night, but I don't know if it was just mindless musing, or she's really changing her mind about being done. All I know is, if we have another girl, I am screwed!