Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old December 16th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Letting neighbor's cat in - Problem?

Hi peeps!

Just curious as to your opinion.

2 cats from 2 different neighbours come to visit us daily. They don't do much, they just sniff aorund and hang out for a bit. Oh yeah...carmy and I feed them lol. They both seem to ignore Twiggy our cat, who is not bothered by them in the least. They both purr for us now and feel pretty comfortable.... usually we kick them out after 10-30 minutes.

here's a pic...lol.

Is there a problem with this?
Attached Images

Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 16th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hey Marko! what a pretty kitty. Its nice to hear Twiggy isnt bothered by it

Here is what I see as an issue. They are outdoor cats that come into your home and you dont know what they are bringing with them. Fleas, parasites or even things like Upper Respiratory infections and possibly FLV.

Maybe you could talk to the owners to ensure they are healthy....you may want to let the owners know what your feeding too in case they have an issue with it.

Otherwise this kitty looks quite content...

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 16th, 2017, 08:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Ditto the health issues. However I wonder if they are fairly moot if the cats visit in summer when you have windows open and they can meet your own through the screen?

As someone who has only had inside/outside cats till recently (and still have one such) I bring my cats in when I leave the house, and at night. So if I was to want to leave and could not find my cat I'd be worried. It is nice to have neighbours who like your cats.
Old December 16th, 2017, 08:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with what Winston said, as I was thinking same about the cats bringing in unwanted guests. I am also concerned if the cats are on a restricted diets for any health reasons. I had a cat that would come back home smelling like he been sitting next to fireplace and sure enough that just want he been doing ! A neighbor was letting him in her house and feeding him too , I had to tell her not to feed him b/c I had no idea how much food she was giving him or what kind of food it was . I didn't want my cat getting too fat or sick from eating the wrong kind of food. I know marko know better than to feed the cats the wrong kind of food ,my neighbor had no pets and was feeding my cat people food.

It's a beautiful cat and I would be tempting to want to keep it !
Old December 16th, 2017, 10:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I think it's sweet that Twiggy has friends who come to call

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 17th, 2017, 09:22 AM

thanks for all the opinions!

One cat (big boy - in this pic) doesn't even have a collar and is unneutered..... he smells of fleecy all the time.

The other cat does have a collar - is neutered and smells of cigarettes all the time....

I too was/am a bit concerned over diseases....but they never even touch Twiggy.

I do not know who the owners are....

Could she still get something airborne? how common is this?

Thank again!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 17th, 2017, 04:00 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Marko do you vaccinate Twiggy. I wasnt sure as alot of folks tend to cut back as much as possible on vaccines especially as our kitties age.

Have a quick conversation with your vet to ensure Twiggy is covered. Upper Rhesp is very common and airborn. Realistically Twiggy could catch this just from sitting in an open window with a cat near with URI. Feline Leukemia is also contagious to cats that have immune system issues.

Do these cats stay outside a lot. If they do I would definatley be careful.

Its amazing Twiggy has no response to them. Do you have an area where they could come in and somewhere where Twiggy doesnt go to. Like a seperate room. Not sure if your in a house or apt.

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 17th, 2017, 05:05 PM

Thx Cindy - Twiggy is so weird and makes weird noises...usually they approach and then step back lol.

we do not vaccinate twiggy...as she is 100% indoors. I guess that increases the risk...doh.

cats come in from backdoor...twiggy hangs out at the front window on her perch...

gotta chat w/the vet. thx!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 17th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Marko
I would say if they are completely in different rooms and you could keep it that way it could work I think.
We were the same way with Tabitha and Bomber where they were completely indoors so after the initial vaccines we were good with not subjecting them to them, also having an understanding vet helped too.
Its a bit of a risk. Maybe finding the owners and having a chat about health but that may be unrealistic.
You could make an outside shelter for them and visit outdoors...easy to do when its cold if they are outdoors.
Gets you out of the house to visit too...
Tough call wouldnt want to be in your shoes....especially since kitty looks so content.
Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old December 17th, 2017, 07:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Could you put notes on their collars? Put a collar on the one who doesn't have one? You've heard the story about the dog who visits someone once a day, enters the house and has a sleep? Maybe you would get a note back too..

http://www.reshareworthy.com/dog-tired/

I know, I know, how to tell if that story is true. But you could try a note. Maybe there's a better story.