Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 17th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Bomber is sick again

Well I know I havent been on much lately but we have been having a rough go of it for a few weeks. Bomber has been urinating outside the box pretty regularily and I have tried everything I can think of to make it better but we are off to the vets in am for them to figure out whats happening to my boy.

A couple of days ago he ws sitting on the top of the stairs he just stood there, didnt even crouch down just pee'd...and what drew my attention to him was that his whole body began to shake...because we startled him he ran away. I have not caught him shaking since?? I started him back on the metacam the other day just in case he is in pain..not sure what were in for tomorow but I am hoping we can get to the bottom of it.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Catlover2

Sorry to hear about "Bomber". Has the urinating outside the box just started in the past few weeks, or is this a "regular" thing with him? Just hope it's something easier, like a UTI that can be fixed fairly easily.
Old June 17th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well its been more often than it should be lately! He has ideopathich cystitus. Last vet visit we gave him metacam for pain so I have resarteds that. last night I replaced the litter boxes yet again...he has also been difficult to get sample from so he will be staying for a bit tomorrow until they can get what they need. I will be asking fro a blood panel this time to see whats up. Last year Bomber had issues where his urine was too diluted and that also worrying me. Right now there is little color to the urine and it doesnt have an odour?? Thanks for the well wishes!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown

Last edited by Winston; June 17th, 2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old June 17th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston,good luck with Bomber,hopefully you'll get answers as to why he's doing this
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

:goodv ibes: for Bomber and a HUGE for you.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 17th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Kitty pimp

good luck bomber and W
Old June 17th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope Bomber is feeling better good vibes coming your way
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 17th, 2010, 10:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, no, Winston! Now Bomber is under the weather? When it rains it pours...

the vet visit tomorrow turns up something easily treated!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Good luck at the vets! Make sure they get the urine sample via cystocentisis, and that it gets sent out for a culture and sensitivity.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:36 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sending lots of today. I hope you find something to help Bomber. He is such a sweet boy.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 18th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Sending lots of positive thoughts Bombers way.

I can't recall, but have you tried having him on Cosequin and possibly using Prozac? Oksana has suffered from Idiopathic Cystitis as well, and so far (knock on wood) the Cosequin seems to be helping.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well no real updates yet. Bomber went in at 8:30 and they were unable to get enough urine until 3pm. They drew blood as well and sent that out today. Hopefully we have more info tomorrow.

My poor boy must have been starving. He came home, ran dwonstairs to the food bowls and began chomping away as fast as he could! I have never seen him be so food motivated before!

The fact that it took so long for them to get urine was kind of scarey but she said if they had to they would give him some sub q fluids to help but I guess he didnt need that after all.

Thanks for the positive vibes...for some reason I feel I am going to need all of them...Bomber is really not himself...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:06 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Aw, sorry you are going through this. There is nothing worse than when the furkids are sick and that helpless feeling of not being able to do anything.
for some positive answers soon.

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old June 19th, 2010, 09:03 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope you get good results today, Winston!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I need to rant! as I mentioned Bomber spent the day at the vet. I had arranged an early morning drop off & check for urine...he stayed all day and the girl origionally told me they had only a 2:15 appointment. Long story short I arrive at 2pm yesterday to pick him up because that is what they told me. I did not see the vet when I pick him up. The girl comes out and says okay you can take him and we will put everything together and go over it all at once tomorrow. I was a little taken back because ultimately I wanted to ask the vet about the shaking episode and also at the very least see what he thinks? regardless I paid the bill and left a little annoyed. Not even thinking that today is Saturday and they are closed until Monday????? The girl never said anything and I didnt think.

What pisses me off is that if he has a UTI he has to wait all weekend and then maybe until Monday evening before I can get back to them. It could have taken them 10 minutes to check the urine as they have done previously and waited? at the very least to get the meds in him if he needs something.

I am giving him metacam. I decided a couple of days ago that since he cant tell me I am going to assume that this is why he is urinating outside the box. I caught him again this morning when I came home from a class trying to urinate in Winston's crate. I know I should block it off and I do but its been so hot here and he loves to lay in the crate in the basement when its cool, but the moment he leaves Bomber is down there peeing! so Winston doesnt always have the liberty to go and lay in there when he wants. frustrating!

I know something is up because he is meowing alot today, although he is a vocal kitty it seems to me to be more? maybe I am just imagining it I dont know. Tabitha and him have been fighting since he came home yesterday. Likely because when they took the urine they said the pee went on him too! and they tried to clean him up but Tabitha can obviously smell it. I cant bath him either right now because he is already a scared kitty (has been all his life!) but it would be too tramatic for him.

Okay I am done ranting........
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Catlover2

Sorry to hear of all the aggravation with the vet and the trouble you're having. Anyway, an alternative to bathing to freshen his coat to remove the urine smell, if you have a sani-wipe or, use some rubbing alcohol on a cotton pad and rub all over the coat, then take a washcloth, wet it in hot water, wring out and rub it all over his coat very well---do it a couple of times. The alcohol will get rid of the smell of urine, and you don't want him licking the rubbing alcohol, so that's why you have to wipe him thoroughly, and then towel-dry him, or blow dry on low if he'll tolerate that. Hopefully Tabitha will like him better.
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You rant away, you have reason to!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:33 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It would be wonderful if all vets actually cared about their patients. But sadly it seems they are few and far between. If you manage to find one then hang on tight.
Is he still pooping ok? Maybe it's got something to do with that too.
Still keeping my and sending lots of your way.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 19th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

No the pooping was Winston and he is A okay now! I am darn sure it was a bad bag of food!

Ill try wiping him down...he is still mad at me though! cause I caught him in the act!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 19th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston,I am sorry you and Bomber are having such a hard time,it is so very important,to have a vet who will talk to you when you worry.
Before I switched vets,I had the kind of vets,that would charge me $45 just to talk.
My current vet will talk to me any time,he is wonderful,really cares.
I thought a urine-test is checked right at the vets,with instant results
I would imagine UTI is painful for him,but easily treated,right?
Old June 19th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

It should be Chico....if thats what it is ...Bomber has had reocurring problems where his urine is too diluted and that is worrying me...we will see what happens Monday.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 19th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
It could have taken them 10 minutes to check the urine as they have done previously and waited?
If they're doing a proper culture and sensitivity, as they should be at this point, then the urine has to be sent out to a lab where it usually takes 72 hrs to get the results. I think the fact that they haven't done this in the past is part of the problem.

Quote:
Likely because when they took the urine they said the pee went on him too!
How exactly did they get the urine sample??? Please don't tell me they expressed his bladder.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 19th, 2010, 01:51 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
No the pooping was Winston and he is A okay now! I am darn sure it was a bad bag of food!

Ill try wiping him down...he is still mad at me though! cause I caught him in the act!

I know the last pooping issue was Winston. I just thought maybe part of Bomber's problems may be that as well as the peeing.
If you don't want to use the rubbing alcohol just use warm water and do the best you can. Then do your baby powder trick with them. Hopefully Tabitha will figure it out soon.

Old June 19th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston, I'm so sorry Bomber is still not feeling well. I do hope when you get to the vet on Monday you have a few choice words for the girl you spoke to.

I wonder if it might be safe to give him a bit of cranberry.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 19th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

SCM I am not sure how they did it and I havent talked to anyone. I hope they did it the correct way?? Makes sense though if he pee'd on himself that they may have expressed the bladder? is that painful?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 19th, 2010, 05:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I don't think it's necessarily painful, Winston, but it won't get them the sterile sample they'd need to send out for culture and sensitivity tests

I hope you get some answers on Monday...

Old June 21st, 2010, 11:15 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I waited patiently all morning for a phone call and nothing! I guess they are not too concerned! I gave in and called them and the response I got was "its been a zoo in here today" and the vet and assistant are out for lunch until after 1:30pm??? WTF?

They saw Bomber at 8:30 am on Friday and I am still waiting to hear what they think? I guess its good I have some metacam for pain!

I guess I am still waiting!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:32 PM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

Um, if it's a zoo, why are the vet and assistant out for lunch??? I'm just sayin'!

Good luck - I hate that kind of waiting. I hope the vet enjoys her lunch and gets back to you soon!
Old June 21st, 2010, 02:40 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I called back again at 3:10 to see whats going on! (boy they must have had a good lunch!)

This is what they told me...Bomber has a UTI...silence...okay so what are we going to do? he prescribed a medication you can pick up.

So then I ask about the bloodwork...her reply...kidney disease...silence and nothing more...I said okay I need to talk to the vet about this right?

Hang on hold again

She comes back and says he can call you or you can speak to a technician....WTF?????? am I wrong here or should he be having a serious discussion with me??? please tell me I am not overreacting?? I told her to have the vet call me..

Now I am even more pissed to klnow he probably suffered all weekend with the UTI and when the heck were they gonna call me after they close so I wont have a chance until tomorrow night to get meds into him????
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 21st, 2010, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston, you NEED to find a new vet. For Bomber's sake. I'm wondering how long he's had kidney issues, since this vet had never previously made any attempt to get to the bottom of his dilute urine, which earlier blood tests may have helped narrow down. If this is how bad they are with diagnostics and customer service, then what makes you think they'll have any more concern for Bomber's actual treatment?

Just make sure you get a copy of Bomber's files for the new vet, so they don't have to run all the tests again.