Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:43 AM

Anemia?

Has anyone else dealt with canine Anemia, before?

Sorry I haven't posted back, it's been along couple of days with Roxie.

We're still not sure what's wrong with Roxie, today is a wait and see kind of day. What we do know is that it has NOTHING to do with being bred or her being an intace female. Some of the blood work came back showing that she's anemic, not severly, but enough that she needs to go on some vitamins and be rechecked in a few weeks. The vet said that this would not cause her current issues, were still waiting on a couple tests, but it is the only outstanding thing in her blood work. The rest, is boarderline for an infection, but they said, it doesn't mean she has one. They gave her some shots when we were there the other day. They are supposed to wear off today. She's sill quite, although a great deal better. However once the shots wear off if she starts to go back downhill we have to go back for meds and they'll try first to battle infection and run additional tests.

I"m wondering what causes this? Is it poor diet (we feed Solid Gold, so I don't know why that would cause it, but still...)? Is it genetic? The breeder has been breeding for over 30 years and has never had this come up in her lines before. I spoke with her yesterday and she's going to speak with her vet. She wants to have Roxie examined there as well, but she doesn't have much information to offer as she's never delt with this.

Has anyone delt with this before? What happened? Other than pills is there something I can add to her diet to eliminate the anemia?
Old April 2nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sorry I don't have any advice, but do want to send some to Roxie.

Hope you find out what is wrong soon.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:17 PM

Thanks Love me too. It's been suck a hard year lossig my mom (in august), my pops (2 weeks ago) and now this with Roxie. I'm so worried about her and I'm bitting my nails to stubbs.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:15 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Any news yet?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:41 AM

I went to pick up the suplements they suggested at the vest last night and I was asking them about it. Why she needs it, is it for life, what's causing it etc. They just said it's for life, and that's it they wouldn't anser the rest of my questions. I'm not impressed. It cost almost $50 a month!? That's horrid for VITAMINS. We're still waiting on a test to come back, so when the vet calls about it I'm going to pressure her for answers, because I really need to know what's going on with my dog so I can make some descisions about her continued care. If the anemia is bad enough for her to need supplements for the rest of her life, then they need to find out what's causing it and see if there is something we can do to cure it. If not, and she has to be on it, I have to find a way to get the supplements for less, maybe there's a generic brand or something. I't soo frustrating when they don't give you information.

My breeder wants to get her vets opinion. So I"m going to try to get copies of the results of her last test results. Hopefully he will be more forth coming. One can hope.
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:37 AM

ive been dealing with it for almost a year now,

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42910

http://143sway.blogspot.com/

also...there is a forum dedicated strictly to AIHA that you might want to check out,

http://www.vetnet.eu/cgi-bin/gen5?ru...list&subject=7