Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old January 19th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

11 dogs/Desperate!/MTL!!!!

Just got this email! IF anyone has been thinking about adopting a dog, here are some in desperate need!!
-----------------------------
Please crosspost, spread the news everywhere - all these dogs need our help

These dogs would have been shot next week - but this amazing guy Bram is bringing some with him

The number to call is (418-923-2359) and you need to say which dog you can help/take in - Please call, most of these dogs are puppies

CHANGE IN SCHEDULE!

I will be coming in tomorrow night to Ville Saint-Laurent, Place Vertu shopping center, just north on Cavendish off the TransCanada. I should be in around 9pm.

Hello all,

There has been such an out pour of support to help these dogs and I would like to thank you all now. Those of you who have even volunteered to help out in Toronto and Ottawa I would like to thank you now, but I think we’ll be able to help this group of dogs just with the rescues in Montreal and the surrounding area.

’m not sure of the best way to do this, but I think the best thing to do is to show you all the pictures and then you can call (418-923-2359) me to let me know which dogs you would like to help. I am taking eleven dogs and leaving eight – please don’t call begging me to take the others, I just don’t have room in my car, but this will be going on for another two weeks so if any of you are interested in driving up and maybe forming a convoy with some of the others on this list, I am eight hours north of Montreal and the community has greed to provide lodging at the hotel for you.

By the way, I didn’t put the sex of the dogs in the description if I didn’t know because they were so frightened when I got there that I didn’t want to harm them in picking them up to check. Also, I’m really bad with age so I put what I thought the age was and Marlene, a vet technician, helped but we could be off a bit.

Old January 19th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

OMG they are so beautiful.
What is the story on them, do you know, have the ever been inside (will there be house training involved?) Just wanted to know a little background, so I can let all my pet lover friends know (because I know they will be asking these questions).

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 19th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Owned by goldens

Rescue dogs

I received an e-mail about these dogs. They are strays. They are from up north and have been rounded up. If not claimed they will be euthanized.
Old January 19th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

when you say claimed do you mean by the owner, or a prospective adoptee?
How long do they have ??

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:24 PM

I wish there was more information...like...would these dogs do better in experienced pet homes?
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Two more:

Old January 19th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

we've taken

We have taken 1, possibly two. Rosie's Animal Adoption has taken 3, possibly 4. That leaves at least 5-7 that need help. The original poster of this plea lives up in the area. He knows many of these dogs as he has seen them around town, some even living by his home in order to get fed. It's a roundup and the dogs that are left go to the dump to receive a 5 cent bullet. If you think you can take one, be assured that Bram will not put a viscious dog in his vehicle and transport it that distance. He has a passion for the dogs but he also has a good dog sense. If you need further information, don't hesitate to call him. He's a good guy and the more dogs he saves the better.
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

sorry, should have said.... as well

so far, Dachsund is safe, two yellow labs are safe, pomeranian is safe, black dog bottom photo, (also same dog with yellow labs) is safe. So look closely at the others and think about helping one please n thanks.
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

golden

I will foster the golden. Will call him now
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

goldengirl

Was just trying to reach you by phone to ask you that! Thanks a bunch. I thought you would. I will be meeting Bram at the Sears at Cote Vertu, is there some way I can help you if you don't have a means to get there? Call me and let me know.
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Please tell me how many dogs are left and what breed...maybe I can find a foster home or two.
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

from all the emails, etc..

Have been able to gather that no one has offered to help the grey/white husky pup.
Old January 20th, 2005, 08:49 AM
<-----nut ball

I wish I could help, but I'm a little far away and no car.
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Formerly MomtoJimShelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
Have been able to gather that no one has offered to help the grey/white husky pup.
Where is the husky pup now? Do you have any info (age, fixed, housetrained, etc.)??
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor

You guys/girls are amazing,true heroes This is a story that should hit the news...like everyone else,I wish I could help :sad:
Old January 20th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow you guys in Montreal rock how fast you got it together Big Hug. The husky if you could find any info I might know a forever home for him, with Husky experience. I will call and see if they are still looking. They would drive to get him I'm sure.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Apparently there are 3 dogs who need refuge - two yellow Labs and the husky pup. If anyone can help please call!!! I would say many are not housetrained, but adult dogs and older puppies are much easier to train than tiny babies.

Mastifflover, if someone wants the husky, I'm sure between us here we can arrange some transport!!

Here is the whole story on these dogs:
---------------------------------------------------

"Well, the time has come for the dog clean-up here in Mistissini. As I mentioned in our last discussion this is the time of years that all the loose dogs are rounded up and if not claimed are shot. This is done to help control the dog population here, seeing how spay/neutering is not a common thing. These dogs are sweet affectionate animals who have had the misfortune of being born here on a native reserve and have been neglected for all of their lives. The dogs that are rounded up range from everything from 4 week old pups to 9 year old dogs and range in breeds from Chihuahua to German Shepards; although the majority are Labrador mixes."
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Hello

Remember that I'm driving from Montreal to Ottawa on Sunday night. If ever that helps one of these dogs...

Lyne
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:01 AM
banned user

We will be taking in the Mommy and also the husky pup.

We will also be meeting tonight to pick up the dogs.

I think all have now been helped. If anyone knows of anymore that are still awaiting help. let us know.
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:02 AM

Definitely post if there are legs of trips that need assistance so we can ask around for help!
Old January 20th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Well I am sorry but the couple I was thinking of just adopted 2 huskies that were from a breeder (puppymill) and had been bred way too much. They would have loved to help but they have there work cut out for them with these 2 that have never been inside.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 20th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Mesaana

If you could transport the pom for us on Sunday that would be great. It saves us an Ottawa trip. I think all the dogs have been assigned. Rosie Animal Adoption is taking several, we are taking 3 and Little Angels are taking a few too.
Old January 20th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I think I have someone in Ottawa who pay for vaccs and spay/neuter for one dog. She feels bad she can't foster but wants to help.

As soon as I have the contact info I'll send it.

Which dog? The pom mix in the last two set of pics I posted?

Debbie Raymond made a great suggestion - someone should notify the media about this. Having them there taking pics would really ensure they all get great homes!
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

positive thoughts

The media has been notified and should be there tonight. Everyone, please remember to be positive about this. The community has come together to send these animals to be re-homed. If they come out of this looking bad, we will not get any more dogs from them. They are offering accomodations to anyone wanting to drive up to pick up more dogs, and I believe the local air service has offered to fly out one or two dogs for free.

So, everyone, remember the positive side of this.

We have received word that Bram is on the road with the dogs and everyone is sleeping quietly
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Mesaana

Thanks for the help but the Pom was reclaimed which is a good thing!
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad to hear about the Pom. If any other dog needs spay/neuter and if someone can get it to Ottawa let me know and I'll pass it on!

Great that the media will be there!!!
Old January 20th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

mom lab...

perhaps Little Angels would appreciate the offer for the mom Lab as she will be in Ottawa area.
Old January 20th, 2005, 03:16 PM
banned user

thank you so much for the offer. However all has already been taken care of for the mom lab.
Old January 20th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

LR - generous offer

Well, if the lady is willing to help out we would be more than happy with any assistance for veterinary care on either the husky or the blue eyed pup. So if you would be so kind as to pass our information along that would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 20th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Thanks for trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
Well I am sorry but the couple I was thinking of just adopted 2 huskies that were from a breeder (puppymill) and had been bred way too much. They would have loved to help but they have there work cut out for them with these 2 that have never been inside.
Thanks very much for trying Mastifflover. At least they ended up helping other dogs who needed it so much.