Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 20th, 2012, 08:23 AM

Help in finding a home

I have taken in a small dog that needs a home. She is a 11month old spayed shihtzu pomeranian cross. Her owners are elderly and in bad health and can no longer care for her properly. (yes I know they should never have gotten a puppy at their age) She is very sweet and friendly but needs some training and continued socialization as she didn't get out as much as she should have. I am very concerned in finding her a great forever home. It's been giving me great anxiety, I am not in a position to give her a committment for life but I want to ensure the home she goes to is a good one.

I have thought of a rescue but I want to have control of where she goes and in light of some of the reports of questionable rescues, I am hoping that perhaps recommendations might be posted in case I go that way. So if anyone has any please advise. I''m in southern ontario.

In the meantime I intend to be totally upfront about any her habits etc. I will ask many questions about the home she is going to and would like to visit where she would be living. I would want her to go on a trial to make sure she fits in. And would want updates on how she is doing. I'm asking for a donation to an animal shelter in lieu of an adoption fee. Is there any other suggestions on whatelse I should consider?

By the way she is very cute about 15 pounds, blonde in colour with beautiful big eyes and a underbite. She loves people and other dogs, very playful, is getting better about walking nicely on a leash. Still learning about commands such as off, come etc. The car ride still causes her to drool a fair amount. She sleeps in her crate at night, still needs to be supervised as she likes to chew shoes and kleenex. You can't totally trust her with toilet habits, she is pretty good but she needs to go out at regular intervals and after drinking, eating. She needs exercise a walk in the morning and evening to help her deal with her energy. She is up to date with shots and is spayed.
Wish me luck.

Last edited by pip; July 20th, 2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: completing post
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

The best course of action is infact seeking out a reputable rescue. They will do an initial screening, background check (which you may not be able to execute), home visit and of course follow up after adoption. Contracts are binding and if there is a reason that these adopters cannot further care for the dog for whatever reason, they go back to the rescue.

Over time you will loose control on what happens to the dog. At the very least with a rescue they have a point of reference if for whatever reason years down the road the dog requires re-homing.

There are actually more great rescues then not. Of course, the people who surrender have no hands in to where the dog is placed once in the rescue, but you must understand why.

There are plenty of people here that can provide you with reputable rescue contacts. Some are rescues themselves.

Just my 2 cents.
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

pip, BenMax is giving you very good advice. As she said rescues are far more likely to be good than bad, and many people on this board are heavily involved in rescue. BenMax is one of them. If you want to go that route I'm sure she can point you in the direction of a trust worthy rescue. Even though you may not have control over where the dog goes, the rescue has more resorces than you would. Thank you for caring for this pup in the meanwhile.
Old July 21st, 2012, 08:51 AM

Please.. some recommendations for reputatble rescues in southern ontario
Old July 21st, 2012, 11:21 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/ON104.html

best of luck
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 21st, 2012, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

When you say Southern Ontario can you be more specific?
I network with many Ontario rescues but I am in Quebec so geography is not my strong suit. If you can tell me what major city you are near, I can help you.
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
I have taken in a small dog that needs a home. She is a 11month old spayed shihtzu pomeranian cross. Her owners are elderly and in bad health and can no longer care for her properly. (yes I know they should never have gotten a puppy at their age) She is very sweet and friendly but needs some training and continued socialization as she didn't get out as much as she should have. I am very concerned in finding her a great forever home. It's been giving me great anxiety, I am not in a position to give her a committment for life but I want to ensure the home she goes to is a good one.

I have thought of a rescue but I want to have control of where she goes and in light of some of the reports of questionable rescues, I am hoping that perhaps recommendations might be posted in case I go that way. So if anyone has any please advise. I''m in southern ontario.

In the meantime I intend to be totally upfront about any her habits etc. I will ask many questions about the home she is going to and would like to visit where she would be living. I would want her to go on a trial to make sure she fits in. And would want updates on how she is doing. I'm asking for a donation to an animal shelter in lieu of an adoption fee. Is there any other suggestions on whatelse I should consider?

By the way she is very cute about 15 pounds, blonde in colour with beautiful big eyes and a underbite. She loves people and other dogs, very playful, is getting better about walking nicely on a leash. Still learning about commands such as off, come etc. The car ride still causes her to drool a fair amount. She sleeps in her crate at night, still needs to be supervised as she likes to chew shoes and kleenex. You can't totally trust her with toilet habits, she is pretty good but she needs to go out at regular intervals and after drinking, eating. She needs exercise a walk in the morning and evening to help her deal with her energy. She is up to date with shots and is spayed.
Wish me luck.
How about asking a vet , they may know of someone that just lost their dog and are going to be getting another one. I was just talking to someone one today about giving pets as gifts to older people could be a bad idea.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 06:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Well my offer is there. Take it or leave it. To be honest there are many shelter dogs that needs spots with rescue and room is taken very quickly. Act quick and you have a spot. Take your time, and I am getting another dog in it.
PM me and I will give you rescue contacts.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I don't think pip has seen your posts, yet, BM. They haven't logged on since yesterday morning.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:51 AM

Help in finding a home

Thanks for your suggestion Winston and I will ask my vet. Benmax I am not in a rush to get rid of her. I'm not interested in getting rid of her just to not to have to look after her. I won't be pressured. As I've stated my only interest is the best possible home for her. Thanks for your offer but Quebec is too far away. I'm in Clarington township which is part of Durham region about an hour east of Toronto.
Old July 24th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Not pressuring you but offering you assistance. I network dogs in Ontario actually, not Quebec.
Good luck with the dog. I wish you the best.