Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 4th, 2011, 06:01 PM

Dogs Policing the Cat Kingdom

For the most part, my dogs do not bother 2 of my cats. They are pretty laid back kitties so don't run and excite the dogs. Other cat, the tortie, is a little on the crazy side and spends most of her time up on various counters and perches.

The problem is, when there is "discord" in the cat world ie. hissing, little spats over territory, the dogs immediately jump into action to police the situation.
I suppose they just find the excitement in the cat kingdom to be too stimulating to resist but I always have to go break up the cat showdown and calm the dogs down at the same time.

Up until a couple of years ago when we moved, there were never any cat fights, the female tortie was the top of the heap. Then the males staged a coup and now we have cat spats at least once a week. No wonder she's a little high strung, she has to watch her step around the dogs AND the other cats.

I've tried redirecting the dogs but i'm not always successful.

People who have cats and dogs - how do you keep order?
Old December 31st, 2011, 02:23 PM

Dog policing cats

I know this isn't an inspired reply, but this is what I do.

Have three cats. Sometimes they play, so times they fight, briefly.

Have two dogs, one of which is a puppy.

Whenever my cats try to play at anything my dogs will jump right in and take over. My six year old dog, who is very well behaved has one fault.....Getting involved in the cats. The excitement of the dogs makes the cats get out of there.

I tell the dogs to leave, physically getting in between them and the cats. They have to go the other other end of room and either sit or lay down.

When the cats start going at each other, I stand up and tell them in a very stern voice to "quit it" and they do.

I have always had this dynamic with dogs and cats that I have been lucky enough to have in my life. I just figure its a part of owning cats and dogs.

One last thing, my cats and dogs do get along when there is not a lot of excitement. They will groom and sleep in the same place with each other.

Know this probably hasn't been a great help, but just know it is pretty normal behavior. Good Luck

Jackie