Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 3rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Whoot! Whoot!! Way to go, Winston! Keep up the good work, buddy--you're making your mom very happy!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:01 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I'm so happy to see he is doing better on the meds
Hopefully he will have many more good days with his mom!
Big hugs to you both and er's for continued success with the meds!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 3rd, 2011, 02:30 PM
Chum Mum

So glad Winston is showing improvement... Chum and I sends hugs and positive energy your way
R.I.P. Boog,Pootie, Bud & Tarkha
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I look into your soft brown eyes,
Where love and loyal homage shine,
And wonder where the difference lies
Between your soul and mine!
Old September 4th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Willing cat servant

I'm so glad to hear he's feeling better
Old September 4th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Winston had enough energy to go see his pack this week!!! although he didnt do the walk he went for a swim for almost 1 hour!! and then got to have a little meet up with his friends after their walk....he was really good. He is most definately a lab as he loves the water.

He is sleeping quite deep at the moment. His big feet were chasing something for a second or two.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 4th, 2011, 01:18 PM

Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hurrah!

I love watching chasing dreams!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 4th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Winston looked great today. Happy to see everyone and of course he loves his swimming.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old September 4th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Nice to hear Winston had a good day. Here's hoping there lots and lots more on the way. Shadow was chasing something last night too!
Old September 4th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Old September 4th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know whether Winston, or DD's Shadow have any heart issues but our oldie, Perkins, does. He also pants hard and everything seems a big effort for him at times, so my Vet prescribed Aminyllin for him. It's a broncho-dilator/cardiac stimulant. The active constituent is Aminophylline. It has stopped the heart turns Perkins had where he'd choke, then collapse, and just makes things a bit easier.
I give Perkins Metacam but I shall be making enquiries as to whether Previcox is available here seeing it has worked so well for Winston. That's lovely to hear, every day you can buy for them is precious.
Old September 5th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

haven't been around, we've been busy working at the house, I'm glad to see his pain is residing, *hugs* and remember so many of us are thinking of you both and sending good vibes
Old September 5th, 2011, 03:36 PM

I'm so happy to hear that Winston is doing so well!!
Old September 5th, 2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Winston had enough energy to go see his pack this week!!! although he didnt do the walk he went for a swim for almost 1 hour!! and then got to have a little meet up with his friends after their walk....he was really good. He is most definately a lab as he loves the water.

He is sleeping quite deep at the moment. His big feet were chasing something for a second or two.
sounds like you dodged the bullet this time Winston...all the best with many more days for him
Old September 5th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yes thank you he does seem to have more of a spirit! He has had the runs quite a bit. I am thinking its from the previcox. So today he had plain ground beef and rice and is looking for more! he doesnt eat that very often so he probably thinks he is real special!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 6th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad to hear that Winston is doing well on the Previcox. Sorry to hear it's given him the runs though. Have you asked the vet if he can take anything with it to help with that? See now that alone is enough to make me afraid to ask about Previcox! We so don't need the runs... I hope you continue to have good nights with him. Hugs to you both, thinking of you.
Old September 6th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston,it's such a relief to read Winston is doing good,I was a little worried opening your post.
Hopefully he'll be ok for many more weeks,months,he is such a sweetheart,as are you
Old September 6th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

DD I dont know what to think about the runs and the cause? To me it seems logical that its from the meds but there are a couple of other factors? Winston is loosing alot of weight and he is not interested in food at the moment so I have to entice him and even that he has snubbed lately?? so my question is are the weight loss, loss of appetite and runs from the pills or the cancer/tumor?

I am going to check in with the vet anyway as we are approaching the 10 day mark pretty soon and see what his thoughts are? Is there something that I can give Winston longer term to help with arthritis/pain or continue with the Previcox?? I dont know because we are only dealing with things on a day by day basis right now ??

Chico he is by far not well but I count every day a blessing and his days have been much improved since last week when I really thought It might have been time??

I know one thing for sure he will not suffer and right now we are having more better days than really bad days so I dont think he is ready to go yet??

Keep all those positive thoughts are prayers coming! we appreciate them all very much. and we are enjoying every day we have!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 9th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hi All

I spoke to the vet today about my concerns with Winston and the diarrea and loss of appetite. The vet said that they could be side effects from the Previcox but he thinks perhaps there may be some underlying condition we are not aware of yet. Maybe something is going on with his liver?? not sure.

We are now putting Winston on a 10 day trial of Metacam. He will get 4ml per day for 10 days and we will see how he does on it. If it helps we will see where we go from there but this will likely be all that we can do from the Vets perspective with Meds.

I will try the Metacam and see what the next few days bring us??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww,Winston,I know the angst you feel when they won't eat,have diarreha and losing weight
I wish I had a magic wand to make Winston his old self again and remove the ugly tumor..
I am thinking of you and Winston all the time and hoping for the best..
Old September 9th, 2011, 05:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Sending for the metacam to help, Winston. I hope you can find something to spur his appetite, too.

Old September 9th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well after several attempts to get the metacam into him it is not happening. He may have gotten a teeny bit because I put some smelly cheese on it and he nibbled for a second or two. I think his tummy is upset. Maybe a little later when he is laying down in a comfy spot I might give him some pepto. He often doesnt like it but it usually works to calm his tummy of upset. The vet had suggested yogurt which Winston gets on his food already but he has snubbed that as well.

Tomorrow I will get some timbits and see if I can get some into him that way.

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:25 PM

My vet advised me not to feed yogurt when a dog has the runs because the probiotics that are in yogurt aren't the ones that are effective against the runs plus dairy products can cause the runs even if they are normally well tolerated by the dog.

Will Winston eat pumpkin? Another thing I have found with Peewee lately when he recently had a bacterial infection in his bowels was to use Oatmeal instead of rice. I was always quick to go to the brown rice and boiled chicken/beef until my vet mentioned oatmeal is ok too. Peewee was on plain rice for a couple days because of bloody/mucus diarrhea which was causing a lot of bile to go through his system real quick. I switched to oatmeal and he was a different dog overnight (ok his turds were different, not him lol). So maybe that might help for Winston too.

Metacam also comes in an injectable form as well which you may want to discuss with your vet.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old September 10th, 2011, 07:21 AM

i rarely stop by these forums anymore, but im very sorry to hear about your dog.

best wishes!
Old September 10th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thanks Kingdano Winston and I appreciate it!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Senior Contributor

That's a big problem, not knowing when Winston is going to eat. See I just squirt Perkin's Metacam onto his food and he eats it. Well .... he eats it best if I hand feed him. I think he has trouble picking up food now. Re the yogurt, instead of that I use a product called Protexin, which is brilliant for upset tums. It's a multi strain probiotic suitable for baby lambs, calves , pups etc.. I don't know whether you'd have it in Canada though. It's in powder form and comes with a tiny scoop and from memory they only get a scoop or two.
Hope your boy starts to feel better again soon.
Old September 12th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yesterday someone mentioned that I should try the Recovery SA products to see if they help Winston out.

I have been using the Sashas Blend but he seems to be snubbing it alot these days. Its also a powder so it makes it more diffucult to give to him if he wont eat.

I found out through petpharm.org today that they make the Recovery SA in chewables now so I am going to pick those up. I ordered them today and they will be ready for me to pick up on Thursday this week. A much better price than the Sashas Blend @ 120 chewables for $42.80.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston, thinking of you and your boy every day. I was using the Recovery SA for Halo, but I could only get the extra strength in powder and she wouldn't eat it well (even mixed on her food). I need to buy the regular one in pills for her.

When you give Winston pepto do you use the pill form? Those you could push down his throat without him actually having to eat.

Shadow did well enough on the Metacam for a while, no runs from it. I sure hope things improve for Winston, just having the runs would make him feel awful I'm sure. I think you need to bbq him a steak! Rib Eye preferrably. Don't laugh, Shadow loves loves loves it - but why wouldn't she??

Good luck - stay the course. I know I'm going through the same day to day thing, wondering if I'm doing the right thing by Shadow. My heart breaks for you and all the others (Sylvie, thinking of you too) who are dealing with these issues right now. It's so not easy...
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

DD when I give him the pepto I use a sryinge that I had for some other medication. Its the only way to ensure he gets it in his mouth because it makes him foam a bit. Once he has swallowed it he is fine.

Did the Recovery work for Halo?

I ordered the Recovery SA via Petpharm.org and the nice thing is there location is in Hamilton so I am able to walk across from work and pick it up. Otherwise its shipped directly to your home. I know I will have no problem with the tablets/capsules.

Thankyou for thinking of us and be sure to know that we have been thinking of you as well. Its horrible going through this. I have found that it is a emotional roller coaster ride.

How is Shadow today?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old September 12th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

when I had to make Daisy's food, I put in 3 pepto tablets and 3 tums before I added the rice etc, it was great for her tummy