Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 24th, 2008, 03:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Crazy dog lady needs cat help--seriously...

The dogs treed a kitty.

After 30 minutes of dog wrangling I finally got the nudniks inside and went back out, expecting said kitty to hi-tail it out of the area. Nope. Cat jumped down, came right to me, and when I wouldn't pick him up, he climbed (very carefully, which I appreciated highly ) up my leg till he could get to my arms. He puuuurrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

OMG, I love this kitty!! I wish I could keep him!!!

He's about 4-6 months, I think...green (not blue) eyes...old enough to be on his own. Seems well-fed and not all that put off by the dogs. Loves people. Gray...looks like Monsieur le chat or Paddy! (Frenchy, do you want another one? )

Name:  Camera 002.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  35.6 KB Name:  Camera 006.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  36.4 KB

There's a spot opening up at the Clark County Humane Society tomorrow at 1, so he'll stay overnight. That's where I need the help.

He's out in the shed (heated inside, though right now he's happy as a clam sitting on a chair on the porch ). We have a small pet porter for him to sleep in tonight. I put an old dish pan with dirt in it for a litter box out there. He has some fresh water and I broke up some Innova dog food in a bowl for him. He has towels to snuggle into and a paper shopping bag to play in.

Anything else I should do for him till tomorrow?

I think it's a boy...but what does hazel know about cats. I tried to take a picture of his rear, but he's shy about having that end photographed!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hazel what a beauty! too bad you cant keep him..I think you have it all covered? til tomorrow anyway...looks like he has some goop in his eye so make sure you clean up well...poor boy! GOD he could be Monseur le Chats twin brother!

Cant imagine what he was thinking with all the dogs down below!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

oh goodness he is gorgeous. Are you sure you couldn't squeeze a kitty into your house hold...LOL.

As for the dog food....well I wouldn't feed kitty dog food because its' not made for what kitty needs nutritionally......but it's for overnight. He may not be interested in it anyway......my two avoid dog food like the plague. Do you have any meat you could give him....maybe some tuna, chicken???
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

for answering my panicky cry!!!!!

I have tuna packed in water? Would that be okay to give him?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:42 PM
proud to be a cat slave

The tuna would be perfect for him! What a sweetie

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Do I just use water to clean his eye, Winston? His eyes look pretty good...doesn't seem to have a runny nose, either.

Anyone know if I have to be careful of anything a possibly unvaccinated cat might transmit to the dogs? Can they catch anything off my clothes?

This little guy loves sitting on my shoulder and rubbing against my hair and face! I'm already hooked.

But common sense is telling me that the dogs would have something to say about that.

Old October 24th, 2008, 03:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Our closest neighbors are more than a quarter mile away. The other neighbor is more than half a mile away. I've called them both and left messages. Think I should put up posters, or do you think someone might have just dumped him? How could anyone do that to this little sweetheart!? Especially near a house with 8 dogs, for cryin' out loud!??

Old October 24th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Oh and I must say that for being a dog lady......you picked the perfect cat toy for him. A paper bag........best cat toy money could buy. Second being an empty cardboard box.
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The bag was a suggestion from a friend. I made a panicky call...and caught her in the dentist's chair...

I'm such a pest!

Old October 24th, 2008, 03:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Hmmmm...this can looks pretty big for such a little guy....how much of a 6 oz can of tuna should I put out for him?

Old October 24th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Live well, laugh often

I'd put no more then half the can now and maybe the other half later.

He is very handsome .
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

I think the only thing I would be worried about is fleas. But I really don't know much about what other diseases can be passed on....*reminds myself to get knowledge on this because I do pet outdoor kitties.....but all mine are vetted*

I would put down half a can, he may wolf a whole can and be sick. If he eats it all you could put down the rest of the can later tonight. Cats like to have many small meals through out the day. Mine eat 8 or 9 times a day, just little nibbles here and there.

I was just thinking about the dirt in the litterbox. Hopefully he is an experienced out side kitty and knows what to do. I know once a long time ago I got in a pinch for litter....(laziness on my part, missed the store) and I put some shredded paper in and my cats used that for overnight.
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Teri!

I don't know why I feel so panicky... I guess cuz the little guy risked his life to come into the yard and get treed... Thank Dawg the Pack didn't catch him!

I'm gonna go give him the tuna now. I'll likely come back with more pictures and you all wanted more, didn't you? that hazel...camera happy!

Old October 24th, 2008, 04:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Like shredded newspaper, dogcatharmony? Or do you have to worry about toxicity in the ink?

Old October 24th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

I used shredded newspaper because I was in a pinch, and it was just overnight....they only used the box once each anyways. Long term I would say, no not to use it. But for now I really wouldn't worry. He may not even use the box being in unfamilar surroundings anyway......he may just do his business in a corner....so make sure you have nothing of value that you don't want soiled on.
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Hazel, she's so pretty! Poor little kitty! I guess I should say he/she, LOL! Shredded newspaper and tuna are just fine for one night.
Old October 24th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Senior Contributor

distemper can be caught from one strand of animal hair and rabies from salvia, maybe pee from the cat.

Your dogs all have their shots though I'm sure. That's all that I can think of.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Kitty is sick :sad:

Sneezing; doesn't seem feverish, though. The one eye is weepy just a tad; but he's keeping his nose clean by licking it after he sneezes. Still hasn't eaten--just sleeps (the only time he's not purring up a storm).

He's in the shed and I cranked up the heat, but that will only put it at about 50 (we're supposed to be in the 30s tonight). So I packed the carrier with towels enough to keep him warm and put it + kitty + 'litter box' + food and water + the chair he's taken a shining to into one of the inside dog runs (It's about 4 x 6 feet in area and 6 feet tall...he's a climber, though...if he were feeling inclined, I think he'd climb right out )

Do you think 50, snuggled up in towels, will keep him warm enough? Given that he's sick? Poor guy--last night it was about down to freezing and then he was out in the rain all day today! No wonder he's sick.

I sat out with him till the shed warmed up--he cuddled nicely inside my fleece vest on my chest --and fell asleep. When I brought him into the run, he climbed right up on the chair and nestled into the towels there. Seemed comfy, so I left him and turned out the light. I'll check him again in an hour or so unless you think I should check him more frequently?

Old October 24th, 2008, 07:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
distemper can be caught from one strand of animal hair and rabies from salvia, maybe pee from the cat.

Your dogs all have their shots though I'm sure. That's all that I can think of.
Yep...all vaccinated. I sure hope kitty doesn't have anything serious. He's such a love bug. :sad: I'm so grateful he's here now, though--it's going to be cold again tonight with more rain predicted for tomorrow!

Old October 24th, 2008, 07:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Just a few more pics of our little visitor:

Name:  Kitty 3.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  Kitty 4.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  37.7 KB

And all curled up:
Name:  Kitty 5.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  38.3 KB

Isn't he just a doll? It's hard to get pictures of him because when I get close to him, he insists on cuddling.

Old October 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM
-

He/she is very purrty. I'm sureit will be warm enough with the towels to cuddle in. He/she is going to need some antibiotics though.

Did you hear from your neighbours? I hope it belongs to one of them.
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

He is just so handsome. And you are so kind in putting him up for the night.

I wouldn't worry about the temp, it's warmer than what he was out in. He's got lots to snuggle into, he'll keep himself warm enough. I know two years ago my furnace broke in late October and I had to wait almost two weeks for a new one to be installed....my kitties just curled up in the blankets, the temp in the house was 49 degrees, one morning it was 43 degrees.

And check on him when ever you want to , I be he sure loves the snuggles.
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Haven't heard from the neighbors yet. Probably won't. I don't think anyone around here will claim him. :sad: I just have this feeling he's been dumped.

There was a tick between his shoulder blades, maybe 36-48 hours engorged. So he's probably been out at least that long. If he were out longer than that, I'd expect a lot more ticks, unless cats can groom them out better than dogs can?

There's a spot at the shelter opening up tomorrow afternoon so he'll have vet care, then. I hope it's soon enough. We have antibiotics here, but I wouldn't know what to give or how much.

Old October 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM
-

omg , you're right , looks just like Monsieur le chat but with greener eyes

A cat at Hazel's they sure have a way to find people that they know , will take care of them.

The towels might keep the humidity ? But it's just for one night so I wouldn't worry about that. I think he needs to rest and then he will probably eat. Sounds like he's exhausted and right now he's in heaven and feels secure to stop and sleep for a while. He has everything he needs , you don't have to check up on him too often , I'm sure he's for a while.

So what did the dogs do ?
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:33 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post

The towels might keep the humidity ?
oups , I read too fast , if there's heat in there , no worry !
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatharmony View Post
And check on him when ever you want to , I be he sure loves the snuggles.
He absolutely eats up the snuggles...but I'm a sucker for cuddling....I'm already way too attached.

He's sleeping so soundly, though--first time I went in there I thought he was dead! I had to touch the little guy to wake him up. He must be exhausted.

Old October 24th, 2008, 07:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oy! Auntie Frenchy, the dogs went bejork!!! You should have seen the leaps up the tree trunk! I think Cass was making it up 10 feet!!! Kitty just laughed down at them.

I think Grace may know cats, though. She was the only one not crazed into complete mania. She kept jumping on the other dogs as if to say, "Knock it off!! It's just a cat you nudniks!!!"

Old October 24th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

He's adorable Hazel. It does sound like he's been dumped and mighty happy to have found you. I wouldn't worry too much about the sneezing and the weepy eyes unless you see the gunk has a greenish colour to it. He's likely just having a little trouble adjusting to the cooler weather. As long as he's eating and drinking he's fine.
If you can't keep him yourself, and I totally understand if the pack is not used to cats it would be a huge training effort, then I hope you can find him a wonderful home. You gotta love that face and the fact that he's such a love bug is something a lot of people look for in a kitty.

Cindy
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:43 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Hazel - 50 is fine. But, if you are really worried about the warmth and you have straw available, then give him a bunch of it. It is the absolute best thing for kitties to snuggle down in. They can snuggle down until the straw is around them and it acts as an insulator.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Rats, Geri! No straw :sad: But I did provide him with about a dozen of the old towels we use for the dogs. He likes snuggling in towels on that chair...for some reason he just loves the chair.

Cindy...I wish he were eating and drinking...but from what I've seen he's totally uninterested. :sad: I even put a little between my lips hoping he'd get interested, but he just doesn't seem hungry. It's worrisome.