Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 29th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillonmama View Post
I sent them an e-mail, I hope I get approved, I can only foster right now, but maybe she'll be the one! Cross some fingers and toes for me.

Ooooh keeping our fingers & paws crossed that it works out!
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillonmama View Post
Ok, I can't stand it. I'm gonna ask hubby if I can foster her....

Maybe he'll get attached.
awwww, papillonmama you've just made my day Please keep us posted! Isn't she just the cutest? Those EARS, I can barely stand it

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."

Last edited by meb999; October 29th, 2006 at 11:23 AM.
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

greaterdane -- you are an , I can't wait to see more pics of Adonis. He's going to be just the most handsome pooch in the world once he gets the luvin' he deserves. Good for you

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
he's beautiful... looks like a proper dobie (minus the color of course), good ear crop, nice feet... how can a "rare" animal like that end up in the hands of such criminals? was he rescued from a bad situation, or dumped, or surrendered, or... what is his story? to you for giving him the forever home he deserves

This boy was eventually taken to a high kill shelter. Apparently purchased from a breeder (great breeder ) They decided not to feed him, keep him outside with the snakes and put out their cigars on him.

His foster mom picked him up as skin and bones, covered in burns, the snake bite and full of worms.

She has since then been in and out of the vet. Cleared up the worms, fixed the snake bite, added 30+ lbs to his frame and he has healed without scars.

I dont have updated pictures yet, but he is being picked up today, so I will post when they are sent to me

He does have a bit of seperation anxiety that he is working on. She believes it is because he is so afraid of being left and starved. I work from home, so he won't have to go through this.

He loves other dogs, and does well with small children. Shes tried leaving him for up to 6 hours and he did very well in his crate.

He dosent seem to have any skin issues, and has great hearing and eyes. I am just shocked that someone could do that to him. He definatley deserves only the best.

I will post pictures as soon as I get them I should get a phone call soon that he has been picked up and on his way to Indiana

Woohoo
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:48 AM

I saw on the news today that Toronto Humane Society is holding free adoption days this weekend, but a donation would be of great help, how can they do this? What kind of freaks will it bring out?
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyP View Post
I saw on the news today that Toronto Humane Society is holding free adoption days this weekend, but a donation would be of great help, how can they do this? What kind of freaks will it bring out?
Apparently they dont require adoption fees at all anymore. They just request a donation if you adopt. We were there visiting when we were in TO two weeks ago. I was surprised.
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

I dont know how they are going to control who adopts a dog that way?? I have been keeping a close eye on one of the Pitbulls there, I just love her. But she is not good with other dogs or cats so... :sad:

I cant have another dog right now anyway, but who may adopt her?? If she is " free to good home"
It makes me nervous!
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:19 AM

I was just going to say that greaterdane, see number 5 payment http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/...ionprocess.asp

I'm not really surprised, I don't want to get too off topic, so I'll just say, that because they don't euthanize very many of their animals, a mere 9%, they have an over-crowded shelter, and they seem to have these free clinics more and more often. Some of the people who worked there are still on strike over the issue.
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Never mind the link isnt working

But there is this guy too, http://petsave.ca/dogs.htm Smokey....

Been keeping an eye on him too. Not sure if he really is Pit though!?!?!

Last edited by erykah1310; October 29th, 2006 at 11:26 AM.
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
I dont know how they are going to control who adopts a dog that way?? I have been keeping a close eye on one of the Pitbulls there, I just love her. But she is not good with other dogs or cats so... :sad:

I cant have another dog right now anyway, but who may adopt her?? If she is " free to good home"
It makes me nervous!

She probably will still be there after this weekend, many of the pitbulls have been there for months already, and have little hope for adoption, they might live the rest of their lives in the cages there:sad: , which could be sped up because of the over crowding, apparantly illness spreads quicker these days, and that's where the 9% fit in.

I already know they won't give me a pitbull, I have my little kids and the cats. There were a couple there that needed a country home. Check out Rupert.... http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/...tiononline.asp
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

awwwwww, Scooby -- I :love: you
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6327165
Attached Images

Old October 29th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Rottie owner and lover

If anyone( lavendar rott) has followed the story of sugar.( a young female rottweiler almost beaten to death) skull so damaged that her tongue will forever hang outside her mouth. She was my dream rescue. Her story is too horrible to repeat without tearing up.
I am very happy to tell you, she was saved by a great man with a huge heart.
So sugars story has a great ending
If you google sugar rottweiler you will see lovely pics of this girl. I just can not post the ones I have seen. They are privately owned.....

Last edited by Rottielover; October 29th, 2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old October 29th, 2006, 12:21 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

ok this thread's too brutal ... reality does suk

Greaterdane - good luck with Adonis and thank you for rescuing this beautiful boy ... his story is just awful like all the others

Papillonmama - so wonderful you wanting to foster Freedom - I hope your approved

Just reading about free adoption clinic and all those dogs that will be going gawd knows where not N/S :sad:
Old October 29th, 2006, 12:34 PM

I got in a loooot of trouble this morning... Hank was already adopted, but my man is afraid I'm gonna find one that he can't say no to.

I love Scooby too!
Old October 29th, 2006, 02:14 PM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
I got in a loooot of trouble this morning... Hank was already adopted, but my man is afraid I'm gonna find one that he can't say no to.

I love Scooby too!
YES!! progress.
Men are softies too, and the more the deny it the more we know they're very close to caving in. MWHAHHAHAHA
I say you get ready to buy yoru puppy crate!
Old October 29th, 2006, 02:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post

I love Scooby too!
I don't mean to rain on your parade Prin but are you allowd to own 3 dogs in Laval ? If not you would be taking a BIG chance. If anyone place a complaint to the city,they will make you get rid of one dog. Or else you have to move and I don't know too many city that allows 3 dogs .... and even then,the city won't give you time to sell.

Last edited by Frenchy; October 29th, 2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old October 29th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I don't mean to rain on your parade Prin but are you allowd to own 3 dogs in Laval ? If not you would be taking a BIG chance. If anyone place a complaint to the city,they will make you get rid of one dog. Or else you have to move and I don't know too many city that allows 3 dogs .... and even then,the city won't give you time to sell.

Check how the bylaws are written, is the limit 2 dog on a property or just ownership of 2 dogs, if just ownership then up just need to find someone willing to register the dog in their name and if someone complains the your are just caring for it.
Old October 29th, 2006, 09:46 PM

Not likely that anybody is going to file a complaint here... This is dog street. The people in front have at least 4 dogs (those are the ones I've seen) and every house except one has at least one dog. Plus I'm the dog bringer-backer. If they get on my bad side, I'm not sure their dogs will make it straight home. Just kidding. But seriously, everybody here is very blasé about the dog situation. Everybody's dogs run away once in a while and nobody gets upset. It's also very quiet though, nobody lets their dogs bark forever here.

Anyway, nuff defending my neighborhood... I'm not worried. Oh, and we also know the dog enforcer up here.

And I mean, most people think Jemma and Boo are the same dog.

But yeah, I know what you mean. And I'll be careful.
Old October 29th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Honest Contributor

hubby and i so badly want to rescue my stupid brother's poor pyrenees... if only we had a real house and no by-laws, that dog would come home tomorrow and finally have a good life. sigh.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old October 29th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Limits on the number of dogs you can own is exactly why i moved out of the sudbury area. I dont remember the actual ratio of cats and dogs you can have but I was out of range at the time. ( Meik, Kita and Keira) when i found this house the first thing I did was inquire with West Nippissing about their bylaws and there was none.... Just the normal licence laws.
Although I register my dogs with the Sudbury east office ( closest town) the licences are 1/3 the price, and when WN went around checking for licences they had no problems with the dogs being registered in another township... their reasoning for not worrying was " it would most likely be that dog catcher who would end up picking them up if they did run off"
I scored there. SE has never bothered me either, they raised an eyebrow the first time I went in for 3 licences but when i said I technically lived in WN ( by a whopping 1/2 km) there was no prob.

Phew!
Old October 29th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Sorry for the major thread jack :sad: ( really going for the embarassed smilie)
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:10 PM

Embarrassed is : o (without the space).

Oh, and the bylaws are why I really should get a senior (permanent ) foster instead of a puppy, even if a puppy does pull at my heartstrings once in a while.

I tried to get a really old dane last winter, and my man agreed to it. I don't know if it's a terrible idea, but I kind of want him to go through the death of a dog that is not Jemma or Boo, just to prepare him a bit more. He doesn't know that he'll get so attached to the old dog (I know he will), but I still think it would be less devastating than losing his first pets without having gone through it before ever.

I also know that it's a one in a million dog that my man will say yes to, so the odds of the bylaws actually being a problem are pretty slim since I have to cross so many hurdles before getting any 3rd doggy anyway (so many that it's not likely to happen at all ).

It's fun to dream.
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Does anyone know by chance what the limit is in Toronto? I'm under the impression that it's 3.
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:28 PM

I don't know, but I think if you call the numbers at the bottom of page two here: http://www.toronto.ca/forms/pdf/cns_ph_petid.pdf they might help you.

Hey, I was looking at that and a license for an unaltered dog is $60 and for altered is $25. It would SO rock if they would do that here. I know in some municipalities they do, but in Montreal and Laval, they don't. We should all protest.
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Can I post a dream cat - Joey isnt always good with dogs but he loves cats - he has never once growled at one or chased one - and will let them come right up to him and just wag is tail with glee. The cat at the corner has been coming over to visit Joey and the romp around the back yard together - sometimes he is even at our back door waiting for Joey. Hubby says when we move - he may let us have a cat

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6899082

we would probably wait until we made the move though before doing anything

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:50 PM

Cute kitty!
But if it's a dream, can't we dream that Joey's friendly with dogs?
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Sure he is friendly with some dogs - he would be friendly with Jemma and Boo to but he would just have to meet them about 15 or 20 times first

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:22 PM

Oh that'll be easy when you move out east.
Old October 29th, 2006, 11:48 PM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey.E.CockersMommy View Post
awwwwww a kitty

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=4748671
he looks like my first piggy BEn, except ben had long hair and he was all spiky
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Honest Contributor

OH my GAWD this poor, poor boy... :sad:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=7228696

i would spend every dime i have rehabilitating him... he was found wandering with a collar imbedded in his neck, his joints are malformed due to extremely poor nutrition as a puppy, and is battleing severe demodex... and his ears sport an awful "home crop"... why oh why do people do this to animals???

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:

Last edited by technodoll; October 30th, 2006 at 01:00 PM.