Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old August 17th, 2016, 12:24 PM

Hi persian fans

Hi
I have a persian cat which has a real issue being combed, it doesnt seem to mind its back, its just its stomach it does not like.
Can anyone advise how long i should comb it for or how i should approach combing his stomach.
He is normally quite placid until he is combed.
Old August 18th, 2016, 12:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

As a first time cat owner who lucked into a cat that loves to be brushed, I'm afraid I have little experience with your issue, but I wonder if a grooming mitt might be helpful? At the very least, if your cat gets reactive, your hand is a bit more protected?

Btw, would love to see a picture of your persian if you have one to share. And welcome to the board!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 18th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

this show how to comb a Persian cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNsujtI5V8g
Old August 18th, 2016, 03:39 PM

Thanks

Thank you for your advice, I have bought something called the furminator which is a type of comb. It is good for his thick back, but not for his stomach.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  216.7 KB
Old August 18th, 2016, 03:48 PM

Persian

His name is Felix, he is a lovely cat, but where I live he would get stolen, so I take him out for walks on his lead which he loves unless he sees a dog, then he sees me as a sort of makeshift ladder and climbs up me.
Old August 18th, 2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
this show how to comb a Persian cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNsujtI5V8g
Thanks but I am ok combing him it is just his stomach he does not like as there is not much fur, it is mostly pink.
If you comb his stomach he likes to clamp on to your hand with his feet and paws and kick.
Old August 18th, 2016, 04:28 PM

Persian picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
As a first time cat owner who lucked into a cat that loves to be brushed, I'm afraid I have little experience with your issue, but I wonder if a grooming mitt might be helpful? At the very least, if your cat gets reactive, your hand is a bit more protected?

Btw, would love to see a picture of your persian if you have one to share. And welcome to the board!
Here is a better one, I am not very computer friendly so i am not sure how to adjust pictures from landscape to portrait so apologies if the picture is on its side.[ATTACH]81136
Attached Images

Old August 18th, 2016, 10:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, my goodness, what a dignified little fella! Such a beautiful cat!

Ticklish tummy, eh? Is there someone available to hold him while you comb? Maybe stand him up on the table and hold him standing on his hind legs--then comb the tummy?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 19th, 2016, 02:40 AM

Thanks

He is a nice cat, he likes to dress up, with him though if you comb his stomach he likes it for so long then he will clamp on with his four paws and kick until you let go.
Old August 19th, 2016, 03:15 AM

Combing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Oh, my goodness, what a dignified little fella! Such a beautiful cat!

Ticklish tummy, eh? Is there someone available to hold him while you comb? Maybe stand him up on the table and hold him standing on his hind legs--then comb the tummy?
I am not married and have no girlfriend, I live at home with my mother, she is quite old and would have difficulty holding him if he really wanted to go.
When he does not want his tummy combing he starts off with a polite mieow then becomes very physical grabbing hold with his paws and kicking.
Old August 19th, 2016, 07:53 AM

He's a stunner for sure

How about distracting him while you brush his belly? I have difficulty clipping my cats nails if I don't distract him with a tube of yummy Hairball Meds. . I squeeze some out on the counter and while he licks it up I get busy with the clippers.

My cat would definitely bunny kick and bite if I attempted to brush his belly. I'm pretty sure it's instinctual for them to protect their belly from potential attack even if it is just from a brush I'm not even permitted to pet his belly
Old August 19th, 2016, 12:21 PM

Thanks,
Bunny kicking is probably one of his favorite moves, the only trouble is you get no warning, when he has had enough , claws out & kicking.
I used to have a tabby that died last year, but they did not like each other, my vet said a lot of cats dont like pedigree cats.
He is quite funny, he loves his biscuits and will only eat organic cat food, also loves human food anything ice cream, cake, tomatoes, we have to put him away when we are eating as if you do not share your food he will hit you with his paw to knock the food off.
Old August 19th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonx View Post
Thanks but I am ok combing him it is just his stomach he does not like as there is not much fur, it is mostly pink.
If you comb his stomach he likes to clamp on to your hand with his feet and paws and kick.
Oh I didn't watch the who utube and thought it would show how to comb out the stomach too. That is a tender place to comb or bush. It's very matted you may have a groomer shave it. When the fur start to grow back comb it every day to keep it from getting matted again. It won't hurt to comb out as long as the fur not matted and you get the job done faster.
Old August 19th, 2016, 04:51 PM

Lower down he is very pink and short fur, the matting problem is his front paws if you dont comb between his front paws he becomes matted, but if you do he tends to bunny kick you.