Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 4th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I'm a softy

A Birth Story....

Well I sm pleased to announce the arrival of three baby kittens, last night from 10:44 pm to 12:13 pm, a calico female, a tortie and white female, and a male red tabby, in great health so far. They have long nails and pretty big as I am sure they are overdue, I was wanting a c-section last week as I am very sure she was stalling her labour because of being nervous, my vet wanted to wait until monday. It was pretty smooth, I am sure this is far from her first litter ( big surprise huh L4H???)

The most amazing thing was Tickles the cat acting as a doula through the entire thing. She never ceases to amaze me with what she does to help me out with these cats and babies but even I was surprised last night. These 2 DO NOT get a along, there have been sone wicked fights, but Tickles made spaz accept her, seriously... and then helped by licking spaz's head and cleaning the babies, when spaz was in labour she would gently reach her paw out and place it on spaz's head, she never left spazs side, I have pics to show of it!! They are on my phone and I will update them asap!!

oh, one neat thing she did, was my lab came into the room, who tickles LOVES, but spaz doesn't, spaz saw the dog and let out a growl, Tickles then growled, jumped out of the box, ran to the dog said reeeeeeeeeeeeeer and swatted the dog, then ran back to purr at spaz's side, uhh that is tickles best friend! but she was keeping the dog away to keep spaz comfortable, I could go on forever about the amazing things I saw last night! pics soon!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG, I was thinking about Spaz last night wondering how she was doing.

Awwwww Dr.Tickles

Nope probably not her first litter

I am glad everything went smoothly, you just never know how things are going to be if momma becomes overly stressed.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR PICS!!!!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

That sounds really amazing! Can't wait to see pictures.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I'm a softy

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just heard her yowl, ran as fast as I could!! AND THERE IS ANOTHER ORANGE KITTEN!!!!
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I'm a softy

oh jeepers! I was wondering if there was another, I was trying to check, but sometimes the swollen uterus and gas fools me so I was not sure, we will be going to the vet tomorrow.
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I'm a softy

it is a male, last night I was half asleep.. I stayed up all night with them, now checking thouroughly.. it is possible that there is a 5th kitten in there still. wow that was a long break between kittens... 10 hours... both cats, spaz and tickles the doula are cleaning it and it is a screamer! Tickles has not left her side, purring, licking the momma, cleaning babies... I think she wants to steal one.. or all of them... she has plans I think..She is a cat that desperately loved being a mother. Her help is invaluable to me.
Old October 4th, 2009, 12:10 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

The most amazing thing was Tickles the cat acting as a doula through the entire thing. She never ceases to amaze me with what she does to help me out with these cats and babies but even I was surprised last night. These 2 DO NOT get a along, there have been sone wicked fights, but Tickles made spaz accept her, seriously... and then helped by licking spaz's head and cleaning the babies, when spaz was in labour she would gently reach her paw out and place it on spaz's head, she never left spazs side, I have pics to show of it!! They are on my phone and I will update them asap!!

And cats don't have the ability to show empathy. Yeah right! Tickles is an amazing kitty. Great job with Spaz. Both you and Tickles!!
10 hours between babies. Zoiks!! That is almost too long. Let's hope she doesn't have another one in there.
It will be neat to see as the babies grow if Tickles stays as close to Spaz. And if Spaz lets her!!
Fantastic job to all!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 4th, 2009, 12:55 PM
-

I'm glad everyone is going great ! And I'm hoping there's not another kitty in there

so those kittens will have 2 mommas ?
Old October 4th, 2009, 01:09 PM
-

WOW, Tickles sounds like one amazing kitty.

Glad all went well and hope the kitties continue to do well. Looking forward to the pics.
Old October 4th, 2009, 03:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, sweet Tickles! Helping out Spaz when she's in need...

Looking forward to seeing the new arrivals...and I hope that's all of them

for the little darlin's!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 4th, 2009, 09:04 PM

How wonderful to have Tickles helping Spaz

that's the last one & for the check up tomorrow, can't wait to see pics

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Senior Contributor

what an amazing story! I can't wait for the pictures
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Kitten pics. I can't wait.

Sounds like the two kitties have everything under control.

clm
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow, that's such a wonderful story! When I hear things like this, it amazes me how people can say animals don't have feelings. Tickles is such a sweet girl for wanting to help Spaz.

I hope everyone is doing well!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:38 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

for the vet visit today, LML!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:35 AM
I'm a softy

we are back from the vet.... minus spaz The vet feels that she has fluid in her lungs, the kittens are home with me.. they will probably be putting her in an oxygen box.. hopefully it is minor and I can pick her up soon.. I will be tickles away from them. It is one thing for their mother to accept tickles and have her around, but I wont do that, don't want to confuse the kittens for her return, it may be frustrating for them too if the are hungry and she has nothing to suck on... oh dear.. they had a feeding from mom a bit ago, if it takes too long, I will give them a feeding if they get restless, but I hope the x rays, and whatever they choose to do, is quick and she returns asap... this sux..... I left the vet with the orders of do absolutely anything you think will make her better, don't care, will worry about cost later...

How many idiots out there have a cat that has kittens and don't get them checked for an infection, retained placenta, retained kitten? ect.. Good lord! I see the effort this takes to try and do it right and I just know that the majority just hope for the best... GRRR!
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
we are back from the vet.... minus spaz The vet feels that she has fluid in her lungs, the kittens are home with me.. they will probably be putting her in an oxygen box.. hopefully it is minor and I can pick her up soon.. I will be tickles away from them. It is one thing for their mother to accept tickles and have her around, but I wont do that, don't want to confuse the kittens for her return, it may be frustrating for them too if the are hungry and she has nothing to suck on... oh dear.. they had a feeding from mom a bit ago, if it takes too long, I will give them a feeding if they get restless, but I hope the x rays, and whatever they choose to do, is quick and she returns asap... this sux..... I left the vet with the orders of do absolutely anything you think will make her better, don't care, will worry about cost later...

How many idiots out there have a cat that has kittens and don't get them checked for an infection, retained placenta, retained kitten? ect.. Good lord! I see the effort this takes to try and do it right and I just know that the majority just hope for the best... GRRR!
. You are wonderful!!!.

I hope everyone is reunited shortly.
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Hope that momma kat is okay LML! Glad she found you and your home to help her through all of this.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

What an amazing story and what an amazing person you are.

Thank you so much for everything you have done for the kitties and of course what you will do in the future.

It is people like you that make me proud to be on this board. Mama will be home soon.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor Spaz! I hope there isn't anything serious wrong with her. She's back home soon with her babies.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I didn't know spaz was ill :sad: I hope she'll be OK and home soon with her kittens. I am surprised the vet didn't want the kittens to stay at the vet for feedings, or do you think she will be coming home today?

Any idea what she has?

Sending some for her.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I'm a softy

I didn't know she was sick either... she looks fine... as well as can be expected, she has been around looking for food, and drinking water out of the dogs dish, and that is a little strange but I thought maybe she was extra thirsty from the kittens??

I am assuming that when the vet looks that he will find fluid in her abdomen, That is why I was having trouble feeling what was in there, I am sure of it now, I am usually pretty good at counting what kittens are left, thought I lost my mind when I was wrong, then I thought well, lots of gas, and a swollen uterus, thats normal, just thought she was a thin cat with more gas than usual.. They always have LOADS of gas after birthing.. But it makes sense..

Now why? Well I guess.. HOPEFULLY she is just not absorbing the fluid, and retaining it wrong.. if that is a medical condition I don't know. I know that they have a lot of fluid to absorb after birth, I know fluid on the lungs can happen during the pregnancy, she had x rays right before I got her, maybe it was there but with the enlarged uterus, you couldn't notice????

I have the most AMAZING vet, and I am NEVER charged the full amount, if a cat stays because it is sick I am usually only charged for supplies, one mother was there for a week, and my bill was $75

He asked me to take the kittens because she will be super stressed, he didn't want them in the oxygen cage thingy with her, and thinks she may have to be sedated, they were the ones that started calling her spaz when she was there... for a reason..lol.. I wanted to give her a name that fits her beauty and strength but for some reason the name has stuck so far, still no phone call, the kids and I will run down there on the way home from school. He is hoping that with some pure oxygen for awhile that she will absorb the fluid, and be ok, or else drain it, and see if it comes back, if it does then find out why, it could be something like pnenomia but that is doubtful... So I dunno!

Hubby left for work at 5 a.m... he still doesn't know we gonna have a vet bill.. teehee!
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:55 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
Hubby left for work at 5 a.m... he still doesn't know we gonna have a vet bill.. teehee!
See, you work like I do. I take the cat to the vet and tell him later. But seeing as I (well, my credit card) am the one that pays the bill I figure .

Wouldn't it be nice to have a pregnancy, birthing, and kitty raising go well for once?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I hope she's okay and back home to her new kittens asap.

You're so right, how many cats and dogs don't get a vet visit after birth. Thank goodness she's with you and is getting the best care possible.

Oh, and once she is back home and all is okay again......pics!!!

clm
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

LML,what a wonderful story,Tickles must be an exceptional kittyand you have almost all the colors in the kittens,can't wait for pics
But first we like to hear that Spaz is ok
Did I tell you,you are wonderful??? Well,you certainly are
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That's what I do with the vet bills too. Too late after I have paid

Please keep us updated, I will be thinking of her, her kittens and you all night I know the kittens are in very good hands.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 5th, 2009, 09:12 PM
-

I didn't know momma wasn't doing well :sad:
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

for Spaz and the kittens. I know how much work it is to feed the babies by hand so I hope Spaz is home now and the youngsters are suckling!

Old October 5th, 2009, 11:29 PM

for Spaz I hope she's home now w/her babies

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

any updates on Spaz and the babies?