Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 28th, 2007, 06:14 AM

Compliments canned cat food

Menu Foods has listed only Compliments cat food in pouches on the recall list.
I spoke with Compliments yesterday and was told that they are not recalling any canned Compliments, but are pulling all of the cans off the shelves, as a precautionary measure.
I have a few cats, and I normally feed them both wet and dry food.
My one cat had some urinary problems so I had to keep him on wet food for a few weeks. Compliments of course. He is now at the vets, and is unable to hardly move, waiting for results from the blood tests to come back.
I am keeping the can of wet food that he last ate. He was acting normal all day Sunday and a couple of hours after he ate the canned food, he was vomitting everything in his stomach. He quickly went downhill from there and the next morning, could barely move. Don't know if he's going to make it.
Hoping it's not the food. I have a cupboard full of Compliments, as it was on sale, but am only feeding my cats dry food now.
:sad:
Old March 28th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Crazy,I am really sorry about your cat,I hope he recovers
As far as I know,Compliments canned slices and chunks with gravy was very much part of the recall.
Don't know why the company would say it's ok
Old March 28th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Angry

This is from an email I received from Compliments.

"As a precautionary measure the Compliments group / Sobeys, is voluntarily pulling all Compliments canned cat food off their shelves, including the cuts in gravy. According to Menu Foods, there is no health risk associated with the Compliments canned cat food, and this is why these cans are not counted among their recalled items. This is a voluntary recall by Sobeys. If you do have any of this product, and you feel uncomfortable feeding it to your cat, please take them back to the store for a refund."

Well, I don't like the words precautionary measure, because it makes me think they don't know yet if there is something wrong with the canned as well.
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for this! I have a neighbour who feeds Compliments and have occasionally fed it myself (after a couple of days, my cats will not touch it). Now the burning question: has anyone seen Friskies' canned mentioned anywhere? The thought of 8 cats on IV's is too scary to get my mind around...
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Badger,I believe Friskies is Purina,right??
The same as Fancy Feast and if so they are supposedly safe,there is a statement from Purina here somewhere.
As a precaution I would not feed anything sliced or chunky in gravy,from any brand..8 cats on IV
Old March 28th, 2007, 09:36 AM
~Cat Servent~

:sad: :sad: :sad:

I hope everything is ok with your kitty.

And as for Whiskas and Purina, their sites state that none of their products are made at menu foods, so they have nothing in the recall. Which is a relief because soooo many people feed that stuff as treats (even me- its the only wet Palomine will eat and luckily he only likes the pate kind or the bites, no slices or cuts. And I use a lot of their crunchy tarter treats and moist treats too, thats how I get Fagan to take his meds...so whew on that one.)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Crazyforcats, I'm an idiot, sympathies for your situation and fingers crossed. Although you have to reckon that many more cats have fallen ill and recovered, than have gone to the bridge.
Please keep us posted.
Old March 28th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Performance Spaniels

While Fancy Feast has nothing to do with menu foods apparently, I do know of a few cats who have only eaten that and are pretty sick right now.. I'm starting to wonder if anything is safe anymore.
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

MP,don't say that My cats will eat no other canned food,tried them all,but they only eat the pate kind and I add warm water to it.
I have 2 friends who have 5 cats each,they eat the same and are all fine,that makes 13 cats between us and none are sick from Fancy Feast pate.
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

oh crazy! :sad: .
keep us up to date on your kitty. Hope he is going recover soon!
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I've got 4 cats wolfing down cans of friskies and fancy feast. If they were going to get sick it would have been long before now I think. Loving thier new orijen dry, but the only canned they'll eat is the friskies and fancy feast.

Cindy
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Performance Spaniels

If they aren't sick now they are probably fine hun. Ashley just had to switch her crew over from a long time use of fancy feast to whiskas and the puking magically stopped..

I know a few others with cats that are suddenly ill too, but lord knows, everyone's all paro over any little behaviour now.
Old March 28th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

CLM,I went up to Rens Pet-depot,to see if they had any Orijen,but they did not.Instead I bought Wellness Core,an only meat dry food...but the cats hated it,so I brought it back to the store.
Orijen should be there again today and I'll try some this week.
My cats have been on Fancy Feast Pate,virtually since day 1,I tried many others Wellness,Mother Hubbard etc....but they will only eat Fancy Feast.

Crazy4cats,I can easily imagine the turmoil you are going through right now with your sick cat,this whole thing is a nightmare for many pet-owners.
I hope your kitty survives this ordeal,please keep us posted

Last edited by chico2; March 28th, 2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old March 29th, 2007, 04:50 AM

My cat was doing a bit better yesterday. He is on intravenous right now. He was actually sitting up. Before he couldn't stand up.The vet had given him some Fancy Feast and by the time I left yesterday, he had ate a can of it. Will check on him again this morning and keep you posted.
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm glad your cat is doing better. Let's hope he's on the road to recovery and you can bring him home soon. Fancy feast isn't the best food in the world goodness knows, but I've never had a cat that didn't like the stuff and the list of ingredients on the cans does start off with meat as the first ingredient which is one good thing, so I figure a balance of a really good dry food and a can of the ff in the morning and another in the evening and everybody is happy. It's not the cheapest food compared to your compliments food of course but certainly not as expensive as the premium canned foods that my cats won't touch. I'm determined I'm going to find one they like one day.

Chico2....I'm glad you said that Ren's has Orijen again. I'm getting low and was wondering where I was going to be able to find it.

Cindy
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:06 AM

How much does Orijen cost?
I'd like to start feedimg my 9 cats better food, but it can get pretty expensive when you have so many cats to feed.
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Senior Contributor

I can't remember off hand how much the Orijen is. I remember being pleasantly surprised when I saw it wasn't pricey. I am feeding 4 cats of my own and 3 strays right now. I'll be picking up some tonight, I'll be able to let you know the cost this evening.

Cindy
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Senior Contributor

One other thing I have noticed when I switched to the Orijen. They all love the stuff, but they don't seem to eat as much as they did before the switch. I'm guessing the Orijen is satisfying them better than the other foods, even though they ate more of the other dry.

Cindy
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:22 AM

Thanks Cindy
We have a couple of pet stores in our area that carry Orijen so I am going to give them a call to see what their prices are.
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Senior Contributor

CFC,I your kitty will continue to improve
Old March 29th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Brought my kitty home today. He is doing alot better. Vet said that he had a liver insult, he ate something he shouldn't have. The vet thought maybe a plant, but I don't keep any plants in the house for that reason, and the cats haven't been outside yet. So now I have to figure out what he could have gotten into.
Even though it looks like it wasn't the Compliments, I think I am going to buy a better brand and may even try the Orijen.

Thanks for all of your support
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

C4C's,that's great news
Still,I would stay away from Compliments food,it was on the list and it still very possible your kitty got sick from it,seeing you have no plants..
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I would stay away from the compliments stuff too. Into the garbage with it. I hope people are being careful with the stuff their throwing out, you don't want to end up poisoning raccoons and stray cats and dogs that may get into the garbage.

Cindy
Old March 29th, 2007, 05:58 PM

C4C's, I too am so glad to hear your kitty is home again and on the mend!

On pitching any possibly-tainted food, I was told to bring it back where you got it, as the retailers are returning the packages or disposing of them safely (somehow.) I'm taking mine back to Pet Valu.

Hello other locals. . . I know little about pet food and cost, though if finding a food you use is important and Ren's doesn't have it, look into "Canadian Pet Connection" in Oakville (Upper Middle and Third Line). They're not as big... but I recently found them and they sell healthy brands... and the staff is VERY informative too. Mind you, I have only the one cat so $$ is not as big an issue with me - feeding 7 or 9 would be different!
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

At Ryans Pet Food in Hamilton you can pick up a trial bag of the Orijen and it is $1.99..On the back of the bag there is a $2.00 off couple for the next purchase...I am pretty sure it was 15.99 for a small bag ( i think 4lbs??) My cats have been on it for almost 2 weeks and seem to really like it!

Cindy

P.S My dog is on Orijen now week 3 and he is loving it!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 30th, 2007, 11:30 AM

I'm glad your kitty is ok now. I think stores have either taken recalled food off the shelves by now, or at least they aren't letting people buy it. I feed my ferals Compliments and I got to the cash yesterday at IGA and they told me they couldn't sell it because it was part of the recall. You'd think they would have just taken it off the shelves before I got to the cash with 10 cans of it Anyway, if you're looking for a good quality cat food that's not too expensive you may want to give Felidae a try. I feed all of my cats the dry stuff, I buy the all life stages one for $45 for a 20 lb bag. They also have a chicken formula dry that's even cheaper, it's $35 for a 20 lb bag. What I spend in good quality food I save in vet bills.
Old March 30th, 2007, 08:27 PM

I checked my IGA yesterday and ALL the compliments foods are gone... It was kinda nice to see...

I hope your kitties are ok. I hope everybody's kitties are ok...