Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old August 28th, 2009, 07:58 PM

New Member with a new Boxer

Hey everyone I’m new around here and found the site when I was looking up information on Orijen dog food….
Anyway I have been lurking for a wile and it seems like this is a great site with lots of traffic and lots of opinions
Just before Christmas 07 we had to have our boxer mastiff (well that was a best guess, I will have to figure out how to post pics) put down; he was our child (we don’t have kids) and had him for all 13 years of his life… he was a big boy (130lb) and sweet as pie. We said no more, that was just to hard but then I started to get the dog itch and really missed having one around. I found a little boxer puppy that needed us and we needed him so we welcomed him into our home and named him Dweezil. I think he is a little smaller then he should be; he was 9 weeks when we brought him home and he was 5.3kg and one month later he was 11. Something kg.
We also have an African grey parrot Monty and they seem to be getting along pretty good (but obviously we don’t leave them alone together) when brew died Monty started to snip his feathers off so we are hoping Dweezil might help Monty too.
Anyway just wanted to say hi and I will see if I can figure out the picture thing (but I did read in another post that you have to have a few posts under your belt in order to do that so we will see)

Later,
Michelle, Dweezil, Monty and crew (crew being hubby, dart frogs and fish)
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What does hubby think about being lumped in with the dart frogs and fish?

Welcome to the board, dartfrog!

And when you finally get to the point where you can post pics, I'd love to see one of a dartfrog, too--cuz hazel has no idea what a dart frog is.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:26 PM

Lets see if i can make this work....
Dweezil

Dweezil sleeping

dart frogs

more dart frogs

Monty

and r.i.p big buddy; this is Brew

Last edited by dartfrog; August 28th, 2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
What does hubby think about being lumped in with the dart frogs and fish?

Welcome to the board, dartfrog!

And when you finally get to the point where you can post pics, I'd love to see one of a dartfrog, too--cuz hazel has no idea what a dart frog is.
LOL he loves all the animals and is one himself
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So 'dart' as in 'poison dart' frogs? Cool! They're so vibrantly colored!

What a wonderful family you have!

Dweezil is a doll! I do hope he can get the beautiful Monty through his feather-nipping. Isn't it amazing how strong a bond animals can forge with each other? that Dweezil will entertain Monty out of his blue funk.

Brew was a big ol' handsome dude! He looks so intense in that pic! What was he looking at, do you remember? I'm so sorry for your loss

Brew

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 28th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Live well, laugh often

Welcome to the board . Dweezil is adorable and those frogs are amazing . I'm so sorry for your loss of Brew, he was very handsome .
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:30 AM

Welcome to the board, dartfrog. What a nice family you have! Boxers are great dogs. I have one. His name is Badabing. I guess you can tell that he hails from New York. Lol! I also have a chihuahua/terrier (?) mix named Yapper...and too many cats...and a bird. Badabing weighs about 100 lbs. but is the gentlest dog going. So I know you're going to enjoy having Dweezil around. It must be a lot of fun having an African Grey in the house. My friends have one and I think it has a vocabulary of over 300 words. Their bird does something that's so funny. The bird will yell "Sal" and Sal will yell (from a different part of the house) "What do you want, JoAnn?" JoAnn will yell back, "I didn't call you. It must have been the bird." It's just so amazing that the bird can perfectly mimic their voices. This routine has been going on for years. To this day Sal and JoAnn think that one is calling the other when it's actually the bird. What kind of things does your bird say, dartfrog?
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:33 AM

P.S. I'm so sorry about Brew's passing, dartfrog. He looks very deep in thought in his picture.
Old August 30th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

Brew was a big ol' handsome dude! He looks so intense in that pic! What was he looking at, do you remember? I'm so sorry for your loss

We were at the in-laws farm and he heard a car drive in and I think he would try to figure out who it was by the sound of the vehicle LOL, he was such a great dog, here is one of my fav pics of him, he was such a goof ball,

Brew
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post
. My friends have one and I think it has a vocabulary of over 300 words. Their bird does something that's so funny. The bird will yell "Sal" and Sal will yell (from a different part of the house) "What do you want, JoAnn?" JoAnn will yell back, "I didn't call you. It must have been the bird." It's just so amazing that the bird can perfectly mimic their voices. This routine has been going on for years. To this day Sal and JoAnn think that one is calling the other when it's actually the bird. What kind of things does your bird say, dartfrog?
Oh man Monty does so much LOL he loves to do this (all of this is done by Monty all in a row)
“Ring, ring, ring” (sounds JUST like the phone)
“Hello” (hubbies voice)
“Hey, how’s it goin… mumble, mumble, mumble….” (carries on a incoherent conversation with all the inflections)
“ok, ok, chow”
“beep” (hang up the phone sound)

He already loves to call Dweezil (and uses the inflection in his voice like Dweezil did something), calls Dweezil “the puppy dog” and "Dwee" and barks like him (him barking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7c_4bnXXKE the sound isn’t great the fan was on)

He loves to call hubby with my voice and its pretty funny he doesn’t just say it once its
“Leon, Leon, Leon LEON” he also calls him "Daddy" and asks where Daddy is when he’s not in the room (or at work) will say “give me a kiss” and start to give the “mmmmmwa!” sound and in the middle of me doing that he will interrupt me and say very sternly “Daddy….”
He is such a ham I could go on and on.
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG adorable puppy! The color of the frogs, especially the blue ones are just amazing!!!!!

Brew was a gorgeous dog! And your parrot is too cute. Looks like you have a doctor in the house.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Dartfrog,love those froggies,absolutely beautiful as is your birdie.
Drew looks like he was a wonderful dog Drew.
Dweesil is adorable,I am sure you'll have lots of fun with an energetic sweet Boxer
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:37 PM
-

Hey ! I had a cat named Dweezil ! (after Dweezil Zappa )

cute household you have , I love the blue frogs , stunning colors !

Brew had beautiful markings , and Dweezil well , nothing as cute as a puppy
Old August 30th, 2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Hey ! I had a cat named Dweezil ! (after Dweezil Zappa )

cute household you have , I love the blue frogs , stunning colors !

Brew had beautiful markings , and Dweezil well , nothing as cute as a puppy
That’s where we got it too; my husband is a big Frank fan and we went and saw Dweezil play his Zappa plays Zappa tour and were blown away. He and his band did such an amazing job it was definitely the best concert we had ever been too…
Old August 31st, 2009, 03:05 AM

Hey, dartfrog! I have a question for you. By any chance does Monty know the whistle from the old Andy Griffith show? That would be so funny!
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing View Post
Hey, dartfrog! I have a question for you. By any chance does Monty know the whistle from the old Andy Griffith show? That would be so funny!
He’s not a big whistler (well not tunes you can recognize) he sort of does the Simpson’s tune though.
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:12 AM
banned user

That boxer is very cute! Congrats
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forum!

I love your puppy and the frogs are gorgeous, especially the blue ones. What happens if u touch them? Your parrot is very pretty too and I hope the puppy can stop him from pulling his feathers out.

I am sorry for the lost of your Brew. :sad:

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I love your puppy and the frogs are gorgeous, especially the blue ones. What happens if u touch them? Your parrot is very pretty too and I hope the puppy can stop him from pulling his feathers out.

I am sorry for the lost of your Brew. :sad:

Debbie
Well we don’t touch them (when we want to move them we have a friend who doesn’t mind doing that for us; but its not often that has to happen) their toxin will not absorb through the skin; you would have to have a cut or lick your finger after handling one so as long as you wash your hand your fine. They also say captive dart frogs aren’t toxic because they get their toxins from the food they eat in the rain forest but in captivity they don’t get the same diet.

And thanks for the welcome ya all
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:48 AM
Senior Contributor

That is very interesting about the frogs getting toxic from their natural foods!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:51 PM
You can call me DOG!

Trying to play catch up and saw your new member thread!

I absolutely love your stunning dart frogs and Dweezil and Monty!

's for Brew. He looks like he was a very handsome little goof ball. Our Springer Gryphon is a loving little goof ball too!

A belated Name:  Welcome Smiley.gif
Views: 138
Size:  3.2 KB to the board

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)