Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:44 AM

A bird killer lives across the street from us.

We live in a new subdivision 5 years old. Our neighbors across the street moved in about 7 months ago. He put up a bird feeder on a post. It sits in the middle of his front yard in view of his living room window. I saw him on his front porch with a rifle and shooting at the birds on the feeder. I was on my porch when he came out. he did not see me at first. I was appalled by it. When he did see me he went inside.
About a week later he did it again. We had left in our car and came back cause we forgot something. My husband went inside to get it. I stayed in the car, again I don't think he knew I was there. He came out on his porch and shot at the birds several times. so I rolled down my window, he saw me went inside.
After that he did it from his living room window inside the house. I could hear the gun fire and see the birds scatter. Then I saw him in the window with the gun.
I told the city when I paid my water bill. she was horrified and they sent officers out to stop him. He got no ticket, he said he was shooting at a cat. There were no cats in his yard. I called the police captain. they said I was the only one who saw it. I know two other neighbors heard and saw him shooting them. They did get onto him for shooting a gun in city limits.
He tore the bird house up out of the ground and threw it against his garage door.
He stopped shooting them for about 2 months. In the meantime he got 2 live animal traps and is trying to trap the nieghborbood cats. He baaits them. I am worried what this kind of person will do to the cats or little animals he gets his hands on.
He started shooting the little birds again about 3 weeks ago. He put the feeder back up 2 months ago. The traps are still there. I want to stop this menace but need proof. we have survailence cameras but he has complained about them. so we are going to an attorney Monday august 24th to make sure it is clear to police that we are legally able to video the public areas of his yard that overlap in our monitoring area.
I can not stand living next to this guy. It is horrible. The birds are blue jays, robins, finches, cardinals, bluebirds, red winged blackbirds. I have seen a large red headed woodpecker over there. So they are not crows or anything. I do not understand why he puts out a feeder? When he is just shooting them.
The police do not believe me. Since we complained he has made 2 false reports/ claims against us. So he is making it look like a feud or something....we are at our wits end. We do not know how to deal with this kind of mean person. He is way out of our league and good at manipulating the police. What do we do? Has anyone else ever dealt with someone like him? How do we make it stop? We used to enjoy sitting on the porch.

Last edited by weRfamily; August 23rd, 2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 05:44 AM

This is absolutely chilling. I used to have a neighbor's boy in my neighborhood that would shoot at little sparrows that were eating from my birdfeeder in the dead of winter. The poor things had no food to eat at all except for what was available in the feeder. I started finding them dead. Definitely shot with a pellet gun. When I confronted the boy he became angry and defensive. When I saw his father in the supermarket he angrily confronted me and informed me that his son could not have possibly shot the sparrows because "Rusty cannot find his pellets." Yeah, right. The neighbors kids were latchkey children and had no supervision after school. His kitchen window was in direct line with my birdfeeder and Rusty was known to have a mean streak with no regard for animals. All I could do is change the location of the feeder in my backyard to the other side of the garage. These people wouldn't even let their poor cat into the house when the wind chill factor was -120 degrees. I won't mention the dog abuse stories.

I'm wondering if you could call the Humane Society, ASPCA, Audubon Society, etc. Every organization that is pro animal and tell them about the situation. Include the local newspapers. You may find a symphathetic news reporter that would do a story about this sociopath that will unfortunately go on to hurt and kill humans as he gets older. I am also very concerned for the cats in the area. If they belong to your neighbors please strongly advise them to keep them inside. God only knows what's in store for them if he traps them. I'm not sure if it's legal but maybe you can plaster the neighborhood with signs stating that an animal killer lives at this address. Maybe the embarrassment it would cause his family would make him stop doing these atrocities. I'm really puzzled as to why the police don't seem to believe you.
Get the cameras rolling and catch him in the act. Please keep us posted. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help but I'm sure other members will have some good ideas.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:15 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Badabing has given some reaaaaallly good advice. First off pictures,pictures and more pictures. Video is even better. Do you have a small local newspaper? Sometimes larger papers will grab the story if they feel they have dropped the ball.

Badabing also hit the nail on the head calling the person a sociopath. This person killing the animals is like an alcoholic with their first drink or an addict and the first drug. They get a high from it. Unfortunately like the other two they keep trying to get the initial rush and don't, so they move on to either more or larger. Hence the putting out of the live trap. killling and or torturing animals is a classic sign of a sociopath. Look at Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, etc. A side affect of this ism is the degree of intelligence these people also have. Jeffrey Dahmer looked the police right in the eye and convinced them that the boy they had was his lover and just drunk. Your neighbour if he is a sociopath would have no problem convincing the police its just a dispute between the two of you. Pictures, video's call any and every agency you can think of to draw attention to this man.

You would think in today's society if a possible sociopath was being put right in the authorities faces they would atleast be put on a watch list like child molesters are. I don't envy you the possition you're in, I do applaud you for atleast stepping up and try to help.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't know about your gun-laws in Missouri,but here if you are shooting anything in your backyard,it's a criminal offense.
To me it does not matter whether the bird is a Crow or Robin,whether it's a cat or Raccoon this killer traps,he has to be stopped

I've had something similar here(about 20yrs ago),but they were kids killing a Robin with pellet-guns and I did get an article published in our local paper about it and the problems about giving a kid a pellet-gun.

I hope you can get some support from other locals and stopping this monster,if the police will do nothing to help.
There is no way on earth I could possibly let this happen in front of my eyes,but please be careful dealing with this on your own.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Angry

Please be careful though weRfamily. My spidey senses go off when I see someone injuring animals for recreation, especially employing a methodology to trap live animals; seems very premeditated and thought through. I personally think sociopath. I applaud your bravery and advocacy for these small animals, but be careful. Can you round up some other people to help you and to shelter your family from his exclusive blame?
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh, I am really good at protesting and I have very large breed dogs! We could come and camp out with some picket signs. My Mastiff is a really good deterrent from idiotic behaviour! lol.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old August 23rd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Garden nut

Oh my, sounds like some crazy hillbilly!! Dangerous individual. I wonder if he was/is in the military... That should be checked if at all possible.

What if he misses? Think about child safety! Or even property damage. I cannot believe someone would shoot a rifle in a subdivision. What if he's intoxicated while shooting?

In my opinion if someone is out on their front lawn where everyone can see him, then it's not a privacy violation.

Go to your library or some place and read up on the laws. In your state there are hardly any laws for gun licenses, except for concealed weapons.

Have someone camp out with a video camera and sit and wait for him to do it again and capture the evidence. Take it to the police and sheriff. If they do nothing, take to local news stations.

If that doesn't work, contact other nationwide media like talk radio with millions of listeners and get it exposed. Try and get it on YouTube via proxy so it's not automatically linked to you.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

A newspaper is not going to print anything that will get them sued for libel--which means likely not till charges are filed. So the sociopath story idea likely won't fly...

However, depending on the municipal and state laws in your part of Missouri, this guy is probably violating a number of gun ordinances. That is prosecutable. I'd talk to a lawyer and get some info: What are the gun laws? Is it legal to videotape your neighbor from off-property (and I suspect it is)? What course should you take from here?

Then get a good zoom lens camera--with video capability if possible, since pointing an empty gun is likely not a violation, so you'll have to prove it's being discharged in city limits. Here, even in an unincorporated town, you can't discharge a weapon within a set distance from a habitation unless you have permission from the homeowner. How close are you to where this guy is shooting?

Another tack to take--if he's shooting migratory song birds, that in itself is illegal. Check with your state's Dept of Natural Resources or the Fed Fish and Wildlife people. They may be able to send someone out to investigate.

Don't focus so much on the cat-trapping--sad as it is, if they're on his property, it's likely his right to trap them. Depending on the laws in your municipality, it may not be his right to kill them--another question for the lawyers.

Not sure what being a veteran would have to do with anything, Ceara?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:13 PM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
A newspaper is not going to print anything that will get them sued for libel--which means likely not till charges are filed. So the sociopath story idea likely won't fly...
Right but they can publish a story about how police were notified of this activity and did nothing, when it comes down to public safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Not sure what being a veteran would have to do with anything, Ceara?
Post traumatic stress after war duty overseas.

I saw it happen in my own brother. He pointed a gun at me once after he got back from Desert Storm and was a completely different person.

Sometimes they snap and act out in different ways.

Last edited by CearaQC; August 23rd, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If he is a veteran, then, maybe you can find a counselor for him at the local VA center. Not sure if it's something you'd be able to find out easily, though.

Have you ever talked to this guy, weRfamily?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:27 PM

This is horrible!

Taking photos is a very good idea, and without a doubt this sounds like a matter for the police! Whether you were the only witness, should not hinder any sort of criminal investigation, because the dead birds - with the trauma, should speak for itself! Also, there is no way that neighbors would not have heard the gun firing off...And, they should know what kind of person this neighbor is - it may not be the first time he has done something like this!

Contacting the SPCA is a good idea too! If there is any possibility of collecting these birds as a sample, this psycho is TOAST!

What the hell is this guy doing, firing a rifle off in the middle of a residential area anyways - there are always laws against this - regardless of where you live. The police are obligated to enforce this law, and investigate any action contrary to it!!!!
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

This 'person' is clearly not running on all wires. Something is definately wrong with him. Does he have any family? I ask this only because if there are children in that home, perhaps contacting child welfare would at least investigate due to firearms being readily available - a long shot but just a thought.

I don't understand. If the police have investigated, did they try to collect shell casings? That in itself would be proof for them.

Be very cautious with this person something is terribly wrong.

I agree with most here. Try and get any video footage or photos of this menace.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:55 PM

It did not put whole post on here is rest

We do have survailence cameras, we put them up not long after we bought our home in 2006. He moved here with his family, yes they have kids, about a year ago.
The camera we originally put up, we recently replaced because the night vision went out. So I found a set of 4 wireless with 30 night vision lights, and motion activated. We have 2 up so far. My husband hard wired one of them.
They all have sound. We put up monitoring signs that are visible from the road, you have to for it to be admissable in court. But on Friday, 8.21.09 he complained to the police about our cameras. He does not want us video taping his yard. I have been looking all weekend at Missouri statutes and even called a Security consultant. He said not to turn off the cameras. I called security monitoring places, they were concerned by his reaction, and are going to be calling me Monday with more info. I will copy the statute applies. I am going to talk to an attorney Monday, tomarrow, and then the police captain. I expect an apology from the police, because the officer that came out told me it is against the law to video his yard if he makes it known to us he doesn't want it videoed.... But the statute states opposite. the officer said not to do it with a camcorder or phone either!! I told him we have the right to a security sytem. I ask him which law he was referring to, but had no answer. So I informed the officer I would be looking into it and the cameras stay right where they are. I stood up for our civil right to protect our property.
For me a red flag went off again with this animal killer. My other neighbors like the extra security they provide. Two neighbors want me to point them in thier direction because they have had exspensive items broken in thier yard. Plants stolen, ect...
I am sure it is driving him crazy, the cameras, but they are there for security. I am concerned and worried about what he has planned next. I have spoken to the police and argued with them one day for the better part of the afternoon. But they say since I am the only one who has come forward about the bird killing, they are not doing anything. I ask if they talked to the other neighbors and they said no. But 2 other neighbors have heard the bb/pellet gun going off from his yard when they were on thier porches. I have warned my neighbors about the cat traps. So far a grey striped tom cat has went missing. He did not have a collar, he used to come over and hang around side of our house. but I think he belonged to other end of subdivision. I do not know if there are more missing.
I can't post that he is a sociopath, that would be liable/slander. Unless I have proof.
He knows about my cameras and is slicker and sneakier than ever. He gloats. He rubs it in. He has made it out to be a feud or something in the eyes of the police by suggesting I am the only one who has come forward. But I think the other neighbors are so appalled by his actions they want away from it. but I am going to try to get them to speak up tomarrow. I hope they do. What will he do next? I am concerned you are right, he will move up to bigger things. They have 2 small kids. His wife teaches at the college. Here lately he is gone for days at a time.
He also trained his dog to poop in our yard. We asked for 4 months to stop. He started right after they moved in. We even let his kids use our basketball goal, and we were very friendly to them. I wish we had not even spoken to them at all. We have my 2 sons over for dinner alot, and thier friends. They were outside on several occasions. He let dog out and it came over and peed on bushes right at our feet. He was watching. I asked him to come get his dog, and stop it from using our yard as a toilet. But he said he did not see anything. My sons and husband asked also. My sons are 25 and 23. Then one day we were on our porch and his wife was watering flowers. He came out with the dog and it started to poop in his own yard. He chased it into our yard and told it **** over there. I caught him on tape. I made it a dvd, along with a dozen other times he did it. And called the dog catcher. He got a ticket. He was yelling at us and threatend our cat and dog. Then he put out 2 traps, live traps. I shuddered at the thought of his hands on our animals or any ones animals. It seems like anytime we try to stop him it gets worse and worse, but it has to stop!!!! Then the harrassment started. (He started playing loud music. Even bought a drum set and opens his garage door. we think he is trying to get us to call police about it and silly stuff. But we don't we put up with things we should not. Because for me the real issues are the little animals and mt kids getting to play in our yard not a toilet yard. And then I will focus on peace and quite.) The very next day he let the dog out as we were pulling the driveway and it came into our yard. We called the dog catcher and he said we can't call them everday. That they gave him a ticket and the judge does not like it when they have mutiple tickets for the same thing. So I called the captain and he said to give it time and see what happens, he would have dog catcher make sure he kept dog up. but talked to me like i was trouble maker. I told him we have grandkids that play in our front yard, used to. we do not let our own dog use bathroom in our front yard he goes in back or on the side. He called the police saying we were burning garbage the next week. Household garbage. Yucky. I asumed they were talking about leaves or grass clippings??? But he said garbage!! No one anywhere was burning anything at all in the whole subdivison. When we do burn sticks we call fire dept first for a controlled burn. We have trash service everyone does it is part of water bill! so who would do that? It is awful false accusation... and he meant it to be. He has made it look like it is silly bickering and not real issues by his outlandish false reports... Drawing the attention away from what he is doing... killing small animals.

He is smart, maniplulating, clever, sneaky person. Smarter than me. Smarter than the police. We keep trying but living across the street from him is a nightmare. We love our home and have worked hard. I even got the cities flower box award for my yard. But it is becoming unbearable.
Our new cameras are monitored with a server we have set up. so they can record for over a year without pause 24/7. We do not have them on motion activated, they run all the time. We only pull video if something happens. We let Roscoe out in our backyard alot and we are worried this idiot will hurt him, so a camera is going back there. But It won't bring back a part of our family if he does hurt one our pets. I have 2 dogs, a kittie a lizard ( we got for our grandson) a small lizard, very small.lol and I have a horse. She is a Tennessee Walker we keep boarded at a ranch. Gunther is our small doggie he is 10 years old this year. When I get a pet it is for life and my kids are so attatched to them. They feel same about thier pets. We instilled the pride and committment of owning a lifetime pet in all of them. They are very horrified by this mans actions and we try to avoid any contact or interaction with him. We have not talked to them at all. We ignore them across the street. We go out of our way to avoid them. But he will not let up... he keeps making these false claims. First burning garbage, we do not nor ever have. Nasty. Now an attack against our security system. All the while he is doing awful awful things shooting the little birds and trapping neighborhood animals. I don't know what he does to or with them. But I am sure he doesn't want us having it on video. Here is the only law I found on monitoring with video.....

Missouri Revised Statute. Chapter 565. Offenses against the person. Section 565.253
565.253.1. A person commits the crime of invasion of privacy in the second degree if:
1) Such person Knowingly views, photographs or FILMS ANOTHER PERSON, WITHOUT THAT PERSONS KNOWLEDGE AND CONSENT, WHILE THE PERSON BEING viewed, photographed, or FILMED IS IN A STATE OF FULL OR PARTIAL NUDITY and is IN A PLACE WHERE ONE WOULD HAVE A REASONABLE EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY:

The definition of REASONABLE EXPECTATION OF PRIVACYis
Any place where a resonable person would believe that a person could disrobe inprivacy without being concerned that the persons undressing was being viewd, photographed or filmed by another.

I know your front yard does not fall into that area. Everyone driving or walking by can see, it is a public view point. I can't go into his yard and do it. I have no desire to. So here is the problem: Catching him doing these awful acts against the neighborhood and small animals. He is very good at it and clever. He has convinced the police it is nothing. So anyone who can find out how to stop this horrific person please please help. We are so tired and just sad.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

About the only thing you can do is act like a saint, obey all laws, and keep monitoring him and proving that he's doing illegal things.
Whatever you do, don't get into it with him, I wouldn't even speak to him or have any voluntary contact with him whatsoever. Just keep taking pictures and getting evidence of the stuff he's doing.

BTW, you said you live in a subdivision. Your subdivision doesn't have any rules on guns? I would try to get him fined or even kicked out of the subdivision altogether. If he signed a contract upon moving in stating that he would abide by certain rules and he's breaking them he can be forced to move, whether he owns the property or not.

Someone else mentioned him killing native songbirds. If you can get evidence of that it's BIG no no (invasive species like european sparrows are not covered). I live here so I know Missouri takes conservation seriously and he can get in big trouble for that. He can get big fines or even prison time for that.
The conservation department is actually one of the main entities I'd go to in trying to stop him. The police, unfortunately, don't even seem to know the laws they're enforcing half the time, especially when it comes to wildlife issues.
If he ever kills birds that have a hunting season (game birds - such as mourning dove) and it's out of season then he's poaching, he can get in trouble for that also. In this case he's also baiting which is against the law.

These links might help.

Missouri:
http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/3csr/3csr.asp
http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/cu...csr/3c10-7.pdf

Federal:
http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/Re...dPolicies.html
http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/Re.../mbtintro.html

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; August 23rd, 2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Garden nut

If he's upset about the security system then he has something to hide.

I don't think he's smarter than you. He only thinks he's smarter than everyone else and that's what will get him to make mistakes.

He will slip up eventually.

Oh and not all police know or understand many laws. Some talk out their butt because they don't know any better. And those are the cops who hope that citizens never research current laws or know their rights. There was a case not too long ago of a group of cops who were recorded by a vehicle microphone to conspire a story about how they were going to wrongly charge someone. Not all police are bad. Some are really smart and nice but others are just dumb and/or think they are bigshots. Just got to watch out for the bad apples. Don't let them talk down to you and have your law documentation ready to give them an education.

I say it's time to get a neighborhood watch group going. Visit those you know and introduce yourself to those you don't know.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:18 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
If he's upset about the security system then he has something to hide.

I don't think he's smarter than you. He only thinks he's smarter than everyone else and that's what will get him to make mistakes.

He will slip up eventually.

Oh and not all police know or understand many laws. Some talk out their butt because they don't know any better. And those are the cops who hope that citizens never research current laws or know their rights. There was a case not too long ago of a group of cops who were recorded by a vehicle microphone to conspire a story about how they were going to wrongly charge someone. Not all police are bad. Some are really smart and nice but others are just dumb and/or think they are bigshots. Just got to watch out for the bad apples. Don't let them talk down to you and have your law documentation ready to give them an education.

I say it's time to get a neighborhood watch group going. Visit those you know and introduce yourself to those you don't know.

I totaly agree with you this time. A neighborhood watch would be good. We might be able to catch him. I am going to try to get the neighbors who have seen and heard him shooting to come forward. So its not just me any more. He is smart though and sneaky. He hides in his living room and shoots them now from his window. I don't know what he does with the dead birds they are gone. I have looked for them. I heard his son telling other kids that cats are killing the birds in his yard. I am not sure if he believes this or is ashamed of his dads behavior, or if his dad told him to lie about it.
Any way you are right he will slip up I hope he gets caught by someone if not me. I hope it isn't anything worse than what he has already acomplished. We try to avoid them and stay away from them. If they holler or are rude we just look away or tell them not to speak to us. they do not belong here acting this way this neighborhood is all about family and its quite or was quite. People are nice and curteous to each other.
Old August 24th, 2009, 06:27 AM

Just an idea but you may want to contact the New York Bird Club. The phone number is 212-369-1293. The founder/director is Luciedove@yahoo.com. She is a very knowledgable lady and might have some good ideas on how to deal with this very serious situation.
Old August 24th, 2009, 06:38 AM

Also, is there a 'Clint Eastwood' type of guy in your neighborhood or a small posse of concerned men who could go and have an 'amiable' talk with this lowlife?
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:26 AM

weRfamily - Here is another idea to make sure you are covered and he can't do anything to you. Document EVERYTHING. Start a diary and keep trackof when you called the police, when he did, when you called the dog catcher, when you got the security system, etc. Then you've got proof if he tries to lie about incidents. If possible get another witness to each event to sign your log of it.
Also, if he tries another false accusation like the one about the garbage fire, why not invite the police in and show them the footage from your security cameras? those cameras may catch him doing something wrong, but they can also provide proof that you are not disobeying the law.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old August 24th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
weRfamily - Here is another idea to make sure you are covered and he can't do anything to you. Document EVERYTHING. Start a diary and keep trackof when you called the police, when he did, when you called the dog catcher, when you got the security system, etc. Then you've got proof if he tries to lie about incidents. If possible get another witness to each event to sign your log of it.
Also, if he tries another false accusation like the one about the garbage fire, why not invite the police in and show them the footage from your security cameras? those cameras may catch him doing something wrong, but they can also provide proof that you are not disobeying the law.
Wonderful advice. This WILL come in handy!
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:36 AM

Any updates, weRfamily?
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:35 PM

update on birdkiller.

We already keep a log. I have phone records, which speek for them self. He had to go to court over discharging a fire arm and letting his wifes small dog run loose. She is never at home when he does this stuff... but she seems to think we are bad. She does not believe we ask her husband nicely for about 4 months to stop using the dog to torment us. She definately thinks the gun is for cats... she is ok with him shooting cats. I suggested she use her water hose on the cats. I have seen her try it on a grey tom in the area. The only cat in my yard now is mine.lol. My neighbors from Florida do it too. so do several of my other neighbors.We just spray them a little and they hate it of course.But it does not cause physical pain or damage. But these people think the thing to do is just shoot them? My next door neighbors cat and mine are friends now, and they are tom cats. but they have been neighbors since
Anyway..update. The traps are still in use. There are no cats loose in area.The strays are all gone now. i guess he has done a service in that way. I am concerned however as to where they went and what happened to them? As I have no way of specifically identifying them. I called pound already. I do not let Tigger out unless he( bird killer) is gone. Sad for Tigger. Sad for the other kitties. He seems to know and stays on back porch and in the woods when he goes out now.
Cat/ Bird Killer leaves and is gone almost all week. started this 2-3 weeks ago.
We watch the traps, in case he catches something when he is gone. I think his wife or kid shuts them when he leaves.
We have our cameras set to record thru a server we have in our computer room. We have enough space for over a year. Alot more peacful since he has been gone during the week. Have not seen any bird killing lately. I don't know what he is doing when he is gone or where... but it has stopped here. For now.
So far as a record of when we got the camera. The first one I have had since 2001, I think, close to that date. someone keyed my car and I bought the camera. I lived next door to a car lot, so it was directed towards them. they had been vandalized. My tapes helped catch the vandals. So police there have proof of how long i have owned it. a few months ago the night vision went out on it and we bought a new set. But several of our neighbors know we put it up here shortly after moving in. We have some older video. Someone was stealing plants from our yard? crazy huh? Stealin plants....
It has been quite. We recently went camping took dogs along. Did not have to worry about the house or cat. Felt good. A relief.
We stuck to our guns on this ( no pun intended) and it was really really bad for a few months. I felt like giving up for awhile. It was awful to live with. But this is our home and neighbor hood. We will live out the rest of our lives here. I don't know if he will start up again or if it will be something new. but if he keeps it up he is bound to slip up and we WILL catch him. I am hoping he has figured that out and stopped. Here at least.
We really appreciate all the help and advice from everyone. All of it even the bad advice was helpful. Kept things in perspective.
The police unfortunately can't do alot. Not until he does show his hand and messes up. But alot of his neighbors know about him and his perverse behavior. That helped the most I think. And knowing he is on camera makes it harder for him and more responible for his actions. Keeping the mean people responsible is what its all about.
The bottom line is -- do not be cruel to little animals.
Please people if a neighbor is not treating a small child or an animal right - say something. As hard as it is say something to the person doing it first. Make sure it it is both adults not just one. Our first mistake was not including his wife, we just assumed he would tell her. Of course he did not. Both adults do not always know whats going on in thier own home.
It is hard to go through but worth it.
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:54 PM

Ps

We still have our little managerie of pets. We love them. They are family. Our old dog, Gunther, was ill. He is 10 years old this year. But he is getting stronger. We had to switch him to senior and he gets cortizone shots now. We have special vitamins for him. He went camping with our puppie Roscoe. they had so much fun. We caught some fish. They went crazy over them flopping around.lol. we rented a pontoon boat and we took them out on lake with us. My son, Scott, and his fiance were there too.
Our kittie stayed home. Our dear neighbor Lester watched him for us. He has 2 cats.
No problems when we got home. WOW. Peace once again. Wonderful!!!
I shudder at the thought of not doing anything. It would probably be alot worse by now. But we did and it seems to be over. Our grand kids can enjoy our front yard again. We do not have him over there glaring at us or yelling at us anymore.
We do still worry about letting tigger out. But he has to get to go outside. Not right to keep it from him. We have a leash and cat harness. But I am looking at buying a collar with a homing device and deterent button. Not shock. It was a long long road but thanks to all your advice, everyone, we made it. I cannot tell you what a relief it is. Thanks to all of you.
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

werFamily,I could not imagine living beside a sadistic jerk like your neighbor,or not doing anything about it and you've done good,hopefully you have seen the end of him.
I don't know about the laws in Missouri,but here in Canada,Ontario,where I am,you cannot shoot cats,birds,raccoons or whatever.
Old September 5th, 2009, 02:09 AM

Unfortunately we haven't revised our gun laws here to exclude sadistic idiots. any one can get a low powered gun without a permit. I am talking about these small co2 powered ones. They have the = to a 22 caliber. No kidding. there are people who sell guns at auctions, or garage sales, or in the paper. I am sure they don't make people fill out a permit. I hate to see america loose thier gun rights, but there are too many mean people out there with no thought to the damage or havoc they create. unfortunately it is people like my dad and friends who will be the ones to suffer.
My dad hunts sometimes, but he gets a permit. He uses the meat. He also gives it away to people in real need. He still grows a big garden and most of it is given away. He is close to 70 years old. When I was younger I would go hunting with him. One of his cardinal rules was "never shoot anything you do not intend to eat." I would love to see this guy( bird killer) have to eat everything he has killed. I bet he would turn 10 shades of green. We really can't stand him.
I am all for guns. But there is a proper place for them and a proper use. Some people should just not have one, not even a pellet gun. This guy is a prime example. Unfortunately he has realized there are other avenues he can go through and be legal. But I think it took most of the "fun" out of it for him.
He really would come home every day and go in and get his pellet/bb gun and shoot the little birds at his bird feeder. He usually got some. they were robbins, bluebirds, or red winged blackbirds. Small song birds and such.You know like some people come home to a beer or a nice foot soak..... I think its how he worked out his tension from the day or something wierd like that. It really was/is creepy. I am hoping he has stopped for good this time. Last time he quit but only for couple months. I doubt if he has stopped but he is not doing it here for now. what he is doing is bad, but its more the way he is going about it. and his reaction to being 'told NO BAD You can't do that.' He tore the bird feeder pole and all out of the ground and threw it against his garage door. My neighbors told us when we got home. We were at our daughters wedding when it happened.
We don't like living across the street from this, but we own our home. So moving is not an option. We also take care of one our neighbors, he is elderly. So we are not moving.
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
He can also get fined for filing an false report. And if u aren't burning garbage and he calls the cops and says u are,,,that is a false report.

Is there some way u can build an outside enclosure for your kitty? So he can be outside but also safe?

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old September 5th, 2009, 12:39 PM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Originally Posted by weRfamily View Post
Unfortunately we haven't revised our gun laws here to exclude sadistic idiots. any one can get a low powered gun without a permit. I am talking about these small co2 powered ones. They have the = to a 22 caliber. No kidding. there are people who sell guns at auctions, or garage sales, or in the paper. I hate to see america loose thier gun rights,
I think that is one thing we as canadians will never understand. I went to a flea market in North Carolina once and a man was selling all kinds of weapons out of the bed of his pickup truck, I've never been so unnerved...and shocked. I've never had a gun, never needed a gun, never wanted a gun....in fact I hate them with a passion. And to me there really is no reasonable explaination for 'having' to own one at all.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:10 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
I think that is one thing we as canadians will never understand. I went to a flea market in North Carolina once and a man was selling all kinds of weapons out of the bed of his pickup truck, I've never been so unnerved...and shocked. I've never had a gun, never needed a gun, never wanted a gun....in fact I hate them with a passion. And to me there really is no reasonable explaination for 'having' to own one at all.
Totally agree kr.
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by weRfamily View Post
He really would come home every day and go in and get his pellet/bb gun and shoot the little birds at his bird feeder. He usually got some. they were robbins, bluebirds, or red winged blackbirds. Small song birds and such.You know like some people come home to a beer or a nice foot soak..... I think its how he worked out his tension from the day or something wierd like that.
When you get this on tape, take it to the US Fish and Wildlife people--it is illegal at the federal level, with big fines, to shoot migratory birds. If you contact them, they will send someone out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
I've never had a gun, never needed a gun, never wanted a gun....in fact I hate them with a passion. And to me there really is no reasonable explaination for 'having' to own one at all.
I live out in the country, no cell signal, dispatch for the sheriff's office is 26 miles away. There is a county campground a mile down the road, so lots of transient traffic. You can damn betchya I have a gun and can shoot--and thank heavens I'm not obligated by law to wait for the sheriff to come and protect me. If I can't protect myself I have no right living out here

There are also needy people here who use the lawful game seasons to supplement their larders. And good citizens who aren't necessarily needy but do enjoy game now and then. So there really are reasonable explanations for owning guns. And lawful gun owners shouldn't be penalized for the few ying-yangs out there who are being unlawful.

If I had a psycho neighbor like weRfamily does, I'd sure feel safer in my home with a means of self-defense.

Just my .

Old September 5th, 2009, 11:02 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

i'm not a huge gun lover either but i have to say i agree with hazel. There are some situations where the use of a gun is reasonable. I would prefer that the world was perfect and everyone could afford the neccesities in life, but... And even in canada now, with some of the loons wandering around out there I can understand the some peoples feeling the need for a gun. I don't think that they should be at all accessable to anyone who isn't licenced to carry a gun, or as hazel said capable of using it properly. I don't think shooting birds at a birdfeeder or killing peoples cats a neccessity and i can't say i have ever heard of a cat or bird being able to fire back.