Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 30th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Exclamation Important Info for SharPei owners in the US

I haven't been here for a while but wanted to share this information with any US members who may have, or know of someone with, a SharPei that has FSF (Familial SharPei Fever).

One of my son's dogs that I now have (long story) is a SharPei who has FSF. The drug used to control the condition is called colchicine, a human drug used to treat gout. Lexi has been on the pills for almost 3 years. The first time I went to fill her prescription after January 1st, I found out that the FDA banned all generic forms of the drug and is only allowing one company to make the drug. Not suprisingly, the cost went from about 20 cents a pill to over $6 a pill!! I contacted the company to complain, and apparently I was only one of hundreds of complaints.

I received notification yesterday that the company has requested, and received permission from the FDA to allow SharPei owners to apply for their assistance program as long as they meet income guidelines. If you have a SharPei with the condition, you can contact the company (URL Pharma) or google for the brand name, Colcrys, to find the application forms. The email I received said that they will have an online application form available soon.
Old March 30th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

way to go Kandy, who said complaining never gets you anywhere!! Great to see you back.

Tags
colchicine, fsf, shar pei