Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Garden nut

How to clean male cat spray?

Well since I found that white kitten again, he's getting an appointment tomorrow for vaccinations and then has to wait two weeks before neutering.

I don't like the idea of him spraying around the house while we wait for the surgery, so how do I clean it up? I've never had an intact male cat before.

Not likely there will be any products to purchase in the local stores so I need something I can use at home like baking soda, etc.

We have no carpets, only wood floor and wood wall panels.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I find hydrogen peroxide (3%) works quite well.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so glad you found him again!

Maybe he's too young, yet, to have much interest in spraying?

I've never had to deal with a spraying cat, but I wonder if LP's recipe for dog urine cleanup would work for cat urine? Maybe PM her...or possibly chico has a recipe!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Just straight 3% peroxide, SCM? Do you have to worry about it bleaching out fabric or carpeting?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 23rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'm so glad you found him again!

Maybe he's too young, yet, to have much interest in spraying?

I've never had to deal with a spraying cat, but I wonder if LP's recipe for dog urine cleanup would work for cat urine? Maybe PM her...or possibly chico has a recipe!
Yes just found him not long ago!! Well I was out calling for him and Sheeba found him before me and I heard her make sounds and pace around because she couldn't get to him after he climbed a tree.

Two people saw him back up against our car and shake his tail. Whether anything came out we don't know. But he's definitely trying!

Here's another pic of the little bugger.
Attached Images

Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

LP's wonderful formula, that works perfectly is: 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, 1 cup water.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I find that vinegar works really well on every surface. If I need to wash items (clothes, towels etc...), in addition to a cup or so of vinegar, I put a cup or so of borax in the wash to deodorize.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Just straight 3% peroxide, SCM? Do you have to worry about it bleaching out fabric or carpeting?
Yup. I've never had a problem with it bleaching anything and I've used it on a ton of different materials. Spot testing an inconspicuous area is always a good idea if there's concern. It's possible the 6% solution would bleach stuff, so definitely use the 3%.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 23rd, 2009, 04:54 PM

We used "Nature's Miracle for cats" on fabrics and upholstery... and the vinegar/rubbing alcohol for walls/floors. We had a little blacklight knocking around that we used to detect spray in the basement when we found neighbouring cats would enter there and spray everything. The spray shows up really well with blacklight. If we used vinegar/rubbing alcohol on fabrics, the spray continued to show up, whereas it didn't for "Nature's Miracle for cats". The vinegar/alcohol mix took all the spray off the walls, floors and wooden furniture.

When we moved into our new house, we used the blacklight before we moved our furniture in - we found several areas with old spray from the owners *before* the previous owners (so two owners back). We removed the spray with vinegar/alcohol before we moved our own stuff in, and then sprayed around it with Feliway to make sure that our cat would associate those areas with 'relax' rather than 'hey, gotta pay attention here'. Rather be safe than sorry since we have a male cat, even though he's neutered. So the vinegar/alcohol solution also took care of very old spray (8 years old).
Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:09 PM
Garden nut

Thanks for all the suggestions.

He's already sprayed!! On the living room couch no less. I can smell it. Will try the recipe tomorrow.

So, he's now set up in the giant dog crate, with a litter box, a bed and food/water. Wasn't too happy at first but he's settled down now and already used the litter.

He will come out for play time and exercise but when we can't watch him he's going back in the crate until he gets neutered.
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:56 AM

I am not too sure about cat spray but I saw this somewhere regarding hard wood floors with urine and I have used it about 3 times and it actually does do the trick. You totally saturate the area with vinegar (I dab up after about 15 minutes) and let it air dry overnight. The next day I saturate the same spot with human grade 3% hydrogen peroxide. Let it soak in for about 15 minutes and then blot up. Leave again overnight to air dry. During this entire process I leave a bowl of vinegar near the spot in the same room. This absorbs alot of the odor. Leave this bowl of vinegar out for atleast a week.

I then smell the area and if the smell is still there I repeat the process.
Spray the spot with feliway once you finish the process,

Good luck!
Kerri