Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old September 21st, 2008, 03:15 PM
BassetHound Rescue Quebec

Anyone know SOS out of Alma Quebec

SOS Quebec Ontario Dog rescue GTA GREATER TORONTO AREA - ON L6S 1W8

They are wanting help but know one has any experience with this group..

"We are a group made of a few volunteers dedicated to help a Quebec pound named "Fourrière d’Alma 2007", located in a small town in Northern Québec (Alma) which also serves all the surrounding municipalities and villages which are mainly farm land, this is why the pound often gets over populated with puppies and large breed dogs"

http://bassethoundrescuechronicles.blogspot.com/ Blog

http://www.meetup.com/Montreal-Basset-Hound-GuardiansGroup/ Basset Owners Meet-Up Group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=322077912703&ref=ts
Facebook
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:32 PM

I realize this was posted a while ago, however when you google this rescue this is one of the top results.

I have adopted from this shelter and I recommend against going with them. I can't go into details, so you can take my word for it or not.

They have a severe lack of communication. I also don't think these dogs are coming from the place they are saying. If you watch the listings, you'll notice multiple dogs with the exact same story of why they are they. (of course this isn't the only reason)

If you don't want your heart broken, please find another rescue group.
You should be able to trust the people you adopt from.
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:22 PM
-

HelenNutmeg , I never heard of them.

Aaron2 , sorry you had a bad experience with them.
Old December 28th, 2008, 01:21 PM

I am really sorry that you had a bad experience with them. I never heard of them and I don't know how they operate. Should this rescue be reported for their questionable conduct, but to whom??? These are some pointers to look out for! Some people pretend to be "rescuers", because there is money involved. And the public that send them donations think that their money is going to the animals. It sometimes doesn't. You have to be careful where you adopt from. Look out for their concern if the animal will be going to a good home? Check if they are eager to adopt it out, without asking too many questions? Are you filling out an adoption form, with details about you? Are they giving you a vet's booklet with all the vaccines and surgery done on your pet?? Ask for their charity number. And if you are only sending a donation, ask for a receipt. Often you will not receive one. You may end up with a sick animal that will cost you $$$ at the vet. Let alone the heartaches included. Good dog rescue groups are: Rosie, Gerdy's, Animatch and Sophie's.
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:41 AM

My family adopted a dog from this organization this past summer. We had an excellent experience and can see no reason not to use them again. The paperwork was in order, there was plenty of communication, their adoption fees are very reasonable (compared to some we have encountered), and there was follow up from the volunteers afterwards, to ensure everything was okay on our end.

Our dog came to us in good health and appeared to have been well taken care of while in their care. I agree that it is difficult to adopt a pet sight unseen, but the pictures posted were accurate. I realize that the dog stories are similar on their site, but the volunteers speak English as a second language and it may be easier for them to stick to what is written as opposed to re-writing each time.

Their site is well maintained and accurate as well. We had issues with other shelters that didn't update when animals had been adopted, didn't call or email back after multiple inquiries etc. Some of the dogs we looked at are still listed but we never heard back from the shelters, leading us to wonder how badly they want the dogs to be rescued. The SOS adoption form was reasonable, as opposed to some we have completed that were 12 pages long. Our family was actually treated very rudely and declined by another shelter....because we had kids....it made us a bad risk apparently. This despite my children having never known life WITHOUT having dogs and my husband and I being experienced dog owners.

Last edited by Sirius; October 26th, 2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old October 26th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Good to hear that you were pleased with your experience.

So many times shelters or rescues are not given a fair shake due to one or two people not being pleased with an outcome. Reasons for decline could be legit and sometimes a really good applicants are overlooked.

I am very glad to hear about your experience.
Old December 16th, 2009, 01:21 AM

SOS MIOW, was a victim of malicious slander by a specific "rescue" who used to be quite popular on this site. Luckily, the slandering rescue no longer exists as the owner was caught siphoning the rescue money and was found to be involved in a lot of other questionable actions.

Unfortunately, with SOS MIOW, the damage was done over a period of 2 years and many of you jumped on the bandwagon with inventions of stories about how we operated.

So, before you begin another long hurtful and malicious gossip chain based on one person's dealings with a rescue, be very careful .... the last thing we need is another rescue to give up because of a bunch of catty women looking to throw stones.

Old December 16th, 2009, 07:38 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

sos miow,,, considering this thread is over a year old and only one person had anything negative to say. What is the issue. So before you come on here and start bashing the forum and it's members maybe you should read the thread. It was not a gossip chain or bashing. The rescue stood 50/50 in comments until you posted something nasty.
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

This was indeed an old thread and forgotton.

SOS M - Other than one person stating their opinion, others that commented were not judgemental. Infact, I think that the majority of us know that rescue gossip and bashing carry very little weight.

I do understand however that this is somewhat uncomfortable, insulting and damaging but rescues and shelters or even breeders for that matter can never satisfy everyone. I truly believe that all these organizations do the best we can with what we have. No judgement nor stone throwing for that.

Just keep up the good work. You know who you are and the work you do. No one can destroy that. Keep plugging away and continue to be true.
Old December 16th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

SOS Miow has been very kind to me and donated some equipment that has been very useful in my fostering and socializing of kittens.

Thank you again, SOS Miow, sorry we didn't get to meet.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 16th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Perhaps this thread started over a year ago, but recent postings were in October 2009 .... much less than a year ago.

I don't think I said anything nasty, just a warning to people not to start malicious gossip or rescue bashing. I only shared my own experience as the object of such behavior.

I will continue to pop in once in a while and I will continue to give my 2 cents worth.

By the way, I still have a kitty condo to give away to a rescue (tall unit with 2 shelves on wheels). Ideal for 2 or 3 kittens.

Happy Holidays to all !
Old December 17th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Senior Contributor

hello SOS, its great to see you again!!!! Hope all is well at your end
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:18 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Sos Miow, that was kinda my point. I have the utmost respect for what you do. The person who posted in Oct posted what i considered a compliment to you. So was kinda confused by your response. No offence intended.
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:28 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Sos Miow, that was kinda my point. I have the utmost respect for what you do. The person who posted in Oct posted what i considered a compliment to you. So was kinda confused by your response. No offence intended.
The compliment was aimed at SOS Dog Rescue in Brampton ON SOS Miow used to run a cat rescue here in Montreal and is no longer officially in operation :sad: that being her point.

Malicious gossip & rescue bashing is very unfortunate as animals continuously suffer because of it, shame on the ones' who claim their mission is to rescue yet continuously wag their tongues putting down other people's efforts What can you do pfft However you have every right to pop in anytime and give your 2 cents worth

Very kind of you to offer the cat condo ... happy holidays to you too SOS!
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:34 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

And now the thread should be put to rest.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:51 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

HelenNutmeg Do you now know who SOS Quebec Ontario Dog Rescue is? No one could be bad helping to pull dogs out of death row They seem to be doing just fine.
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:40 AM

I still have the name/avatar of SOS MIOW for purposes of this forum.
Although not involved in cat rescue any more, I am now fostering for Kiko Dog Rescue. I have given away a lot of my kitty rescue supplies, but still have the kitty condo. Any takers?
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:09 PM

SOS MIOW - I sent you a pm
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:08 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianna079 View Post
SOS MIOW - I sent you a pm
Yes, the kitty condo is still available (see my pm back to you).
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Boxer Mom

Just a little over a year ago I was fortunate enough to rescue a dog from SOS. He was a 7month old brindle boxer that was surrendered to their rescue. I just want to say that the people I dealt with were nothing short of professional and caring through and through. We have had absolutely no issue with our dog and has received a clean bill of health from our vet.
I would not hesitate to adopt from them again, and infact I check on their site often to see who needs a loving fur ever home.

Thank you SOS for making our family more complete, the work that you do is nothing short of angelic
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:37 AM

About SOS Quebec Dog Rescue

Hi there,
I had a great experience with them. We got a wonderful Husky mix from them, Georgie, who was perfect in our full house -dogs, cats, kids, rabbits...
I've kept them updated, and always found them responsive. Good luck,
Bigdogs.
Old August 28th, 2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenNutmeg View Post
SOS Quebec Ontario Dog rescue GTA GREATER TORONTO AREA - ON L6S 1W8

They are wanting help but know one has any experience with this group..

"We are a group made of a few volunteers dedicated to help a Quebec pound named "Fourrière d’Alma 2007", located in a small town in Northern Québec (Alma) which also serves all the surrounding municipalities and villages which are mainly farm land, this is why the pound often gets over populated with puppies and large breed dogs"
I adopted my husky Kina from this shelter exactly a year ago. Her status was *urgent when I saw her picture on petfinder. I contacted SOS right away and they were very quick to return my email. Within the week the adoption papers will filled out and they were arranging a transport for the next week. I picked up Kina at the meeting spot with all the other waiting parents. I found that they were very organized and very friendly. When my dog jumped off the truck, I didn't know what to think. I've never had a dog before. Now what I know what she is supposed to look like, looking back she was in bad shape. She was in the shelter for at least 2-3 months. They told me she was badly under weight. Her fur was a urine yellow with knots of tangeled hair all over her neck, her nails long and jagged and she was in need of a good bath. If she was in the shelter for so long why was she in this condition? I know they are unstaffed and have so many dogs, but still. It's so sad. It's been a year and Kina is a beautiful girl with fluffy soft white hair and I know she's so happy! SOS was very good at promptly getting rid of the animals, as far as caring for them, I'm not so sure. As far as choosing a dog shelter to adopt from, I do not discriminate. The animal does not have a choice on where it ends up. I know people who will not adopt from certain shelters because of what they've heard but every dog needs a chance at a good life. If I ever did adopt another dog I would adopt from SOS (Alma) again just because I had a pretty good experience. Not that Kina would let me share my attention with another pup!
Old August 28th, 2010, 08:27 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glastig View Post
I adopted my husky Kina from this shelter exactly a year ago.

It's been a year and Kina is a beautiful girl with fluffy soft white hair and I know she's so happy! Were going to need proof ...
picture or two?

As far as choosing a dog shelter to adopt from, I do not discriminate. The animal does not have a choice on where it ends up. I know people who will not adopt from certain shelters because of what they've heard but every dog needs a chance at a good life. If I ever did adopt another dog I would adopt from SOS (Alma) again just because I had a pretty good experience Great Attitude
Thank you for adopting a sheltered dog - again, congratulations!
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:36 PM

Sos qc on dog rescue

I'm new to the forum and about to adopt from SOS QC ON DOG RESCUE. I've read the discussion threads and am pleased to read that many of you have had good experiences with the organization. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to discuss their experiences with me and tell me what I should expect upon arrival.
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:09 AM

I'm glad to see people have had positive interactions with this rescue. I am contimplating filling out an application for one of their pups I saw on Petfinder. I emailed them this afternoon and have had a reply already with the application form. I was surprised at how quickly they responded I have been looking at the little guy for over a week at least twice a day on petfinder and he really has stolen my heart
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:00 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj601 View Post
I'm glad to see people have had positive interactions with this rescue. I am contimplating filling out an application for one of their pups I saw on Petfinder. I emailed them this afternoon and have had a reply already with the application form. I was surprised at how quickly they responded I have been looking at the little guy for over a week at least twice a day on petfinder and he really has stolen my heart
good luck with the adoption bj601 !
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:07 PM

Thanks Frenchy! I have been filling out the application for the past hour I keep deleting and retyping and deleting lol.

Brenda
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:19 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj601 View Post
Thanks Frenchy! I have been filling out the application for the past hour I keep deleting and retyping and deleting lol.

Brenda
Just go with the truth Brenda. It's important for the rescue to know your situation. So they can make the perfect match between the dogs and their forever families. Don't be discourage if they say they have another family best suited for this dog , they may just also suggest another dog , better for you and your family. I'm just saying , this can happen when many people apply for the same dog.

Keep us posted !!
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:14 PM

I have just begun adoption proceedings with SOS Quebec Dog Rescue. I am now nervous reading that someone thinks this may be a puppy mill.

We made a severe error getting our dear Baylee from an ad on Kijiji. We were devestated after putting our 14 yr old Sadie to rest and went out immediately and wanted another pup. Baylee turned out to have the worst case of fear aggression and dominance issues my behaviourist had ever seen and we had to put her down after working with her for 8 mths to see if she would improve. She didn't. I could never find the guy again who sold her to us. It was the worst experience of my life.

We decided rescue was the way to go and I saw a perfect doll on petfinder. I e-mailed SOS Quebec and received an immediate response. I filled out an application, that while was detailed, was not too intrusive. I later received an e-mail that we have been approved for the puppy. I am now waiting for them to send the contract. "Sunshine" missed this weeks transport but should be in Ontario by the end of the month.

I will keep posting as the process continues and will look for any red flags. I must say I am now extremely nervous.
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Being in rescue myself, I can tell you that I do alot of nosing around to find out the reputation of other rescues in case someone asks for a recommendation for a certain rescue. I can honestly tell you that this group does very good work and are really all for the animal in question. I have yet to hear anything negative about them. Infact, other rescues also give them a thumbs up which is rare enough as it is.

Good luck with the adoption.