Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Closed Thread

Old May 16th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Queen

So annoying at the grocery store

Every time I go to any grocery store someone is most happily lugging a huge bag of some crap cat or dog food. Its like everywhere and every time I go out, Zellars, Safeway any food store basically. And they always look so damn proud!!! Does anyone say anything? What could I say? These are generally not poor looking people either, they are often "middle class" to wealthy, sometimes trendy looking students, obviously people that can afford to buy good food. I don't know, it just really gets under my skin everytime because even when I knew very little, I at least had the sense to know foods like Purina were not a wise choice.

Please feel free to rant and share any stories of trying to educate strangers or family members. I could use some creative ideas so I don't have to agonize at check-out lineups. I guess my fear is if I say something they will get offended and defensive.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

LOL, this is hilarious...
I was just out grocery shopping today and I was loudly b**ching about that exact same thing to my friend while i was getting some cat litter. A very wealthy looking lady asked the shelf stocker which of the 2 garbage foods she was holding was better for her dog. He looked at the prices and said " that one" pointing to the more expensive food.
I looked over and said, "Neither, no pet food you buy here is worth the bag its stored in"
She just looked at me as if I was an idiot... I guess since the shelf stocker recommended the Beneful, it was indeed the best food
I complained about how it shouldnt even be legal to sell foods like that, nor Count Chocula, pop tarts ( and I kept on going and going about crappy quick foods that people feed either their pets or their kids)

Its true though, they always look so damn proud.... as though they have just found the most nutritional bargain ( $7 for 40lb bag of No Name dog food)
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I've often been tempted to sneak in and put sticky notes on all the crap food shelves.... Would you feed your kids nothing but Count Chocula? (no milk included). Why would you feed your dog/cat the nutritional equivalent??
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:27 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
nor Count Chocula, pop tarts
But I like Pop tarts :sad:
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
But I like Pop tarts :sad:
But you have the choice to eat them or not eat them. It really ticks me off when thats what parents feed their kids everyday for breakfast.

And Frenchy even if they are good... could you imagine eating them every day

It would probably result in the same thing as "super size me"
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Every day, all day, pop tarts (or fill in the food of your choice) and nothing but pop tarts??
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:33 PM
-

Yes , I don't buy them too often. And it does amaze me how cheap the dog food is, people should at least , get an idea....
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Queen

I think at one point they did have Iams cruelty stickers that you could put on bags if i'm not mistaken. That is a good idea. Making little stickers with scull and cross bones is definitely something i'd enjoy doing.

Its okay if you have pop tarts Frenchy, its just if we find out thats all you're eating then we'll come kick you butt.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:42 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
Its okay if you have pop tarts Frenchy, its just if we find out thats all you're eating then we'll come kick you butt.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Flyball Mom

I was in the line up at Price Chopper and the lady in the other line was complaining about the $10.99 price of her 40 lb bag of Dog Chow!!! I loudly proclaimed to my mom that my dog's food costs 6 times that amount.

Another time I was buying the ingredients for my homemade food. A couple behind me was buying Beneful, the cashier was kinda looking oddly at my purchases (it is pretty gross), so, I said loud enough for the couple to hear that I make my own dog food because I don't trust the large companies anymore after the recall. The guy says "I called **** and they said that their food is fine". I turned to him and said "Yeah, but the majority of the food **** makes is garbage" and look at his bag, by that time though my purchase was done so I just picked up and left. Didn't want to get into too much of a brew ha.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me

Last edited by Ford; May 20th, 2007 at 11:10 PM. Reason: slander
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Honest Contributor

it's so sad, yeah. and most of these people have no idea, they watch the fun colorful lies (er, ads) on TV and totally believe it. they never think to read the ingredients, or question anything... then again, many of these people buy frozen dinners as a staple, and use McD as the other part of their diet

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:47 PM

I was one of those people who used to buy IAMS and when my younger sammy refused to eat it I finally began to read dogfood labels. Oh my do I feel guilty!!! It wasn't because we couldn't afford it either. My husband had tried to talk me into feeding raw for years!! Just remember you have to take it one dog/person at a time. If you convert one person in feeding better quality food in your lifetime then you can save at least one dog. Just last month I helped a new puppy owner select a better quality puppy food and they couldn't be happier. The time to do it is when they ask you then it doesn't get ugly.

Someday, somehow the lightbulb goes on and another dog owner is converted.
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Yeah i had stopped at Zellers yesterday for cat litter. A small older women was trying to reach a bag of food on the top shelf. It was Iams i think..anyways i offered her assistance and grabbed the bag for her, but told her "These arent really the best quality foods". Little did i realize, she was an employee that was doing inventory. She agreed with me and said she buys her dog food at Global

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Lol Scott that is funny
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

well ok.....hope I don't get flamed for this. But I am one of these people who purchases Purina Dog Chow. For those who don't know Zoe's long story of trying to switch foods I have it posted someone here. And I am willing to take a picture of my pantry that is full of opened bags of "grade A" dog food that she will not touch. And in my case I don't believe a dog will not stave itself because she did and I have the vet reciepts to prove that also.

So far after two years of trying to switch foods....she now gets a combination of real raw meat (that she sometimes eats and sometimes not)and maybe a half a cup of kibble ( some days she eats that and somedays she doesn't).

There is a way to be polite to people, some are not as up to date on dog food information as the people hear seem to be. Some feed there dogs the food because when they were small their childhood pets ate the same and those animals had a good life. Many different reasons.....many different foods...many different opinions.

If you approach someone in a rude, sarcastic manner how do you expect to get information across? If I was approached in such a manner I would think that the person spouting the comments was an uppity rude whatever.

Everyone has their own opinion, and not all situations are the way 'you" think they are. I am all for information, I have done a ton of research myself.......but think before you speak. If it is not going to come out in a nice way better off to say nothing at all.
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:19 AM

how bout trying to MAKE A DIFFERENCE ?????

I think it's easy for us - those of us who know what food is good and what isn't - to fall into a kind of "elite -ism" or "better-than-you-ism" - and yes, laugh at stupid people who buy up all the $hit that the Wool-Marts are selling..........

Fact is, the "average" pet "owner" doesn't have a clue about what's in the food they're buying......

Yet, it's not that they don't care.....they just don't f'ing know!

AND, if they knew, many....maybe even most...would want to make a change!

Why don't they know?
They're brainwashed by manufacturers....
The lack of good media coverage in Canadian mainstream media...(the Toronto Suns of the world)
The small amount of negative info they get appears to be so outrageous that it isn't believable

So.....if we really care about animals (because, it's the animals that are the victims here)......why not do something that just might make a little difference?

If you had a little handout tucked away in your wallet/purse....with information links to reputable, credible, believable organizations /agencies (the kinds of places that the average Joe/Jane already trusts) where they could learn the truth that we already know....AND...if those average people could see you as a friendly/helpful/concerned pet parent yourself (as opposed to a snobby/snarky/snotty/better-than-them).....they might just take your little handout, and MAYBE, JUST MAYBE YOU WILL HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE.

(If anyone is offended by my descriptions above, I am sorry and want to say that it isn't my intention to flame you.....I'm trying to explain how others can sometimes see us.)

Anyone want to input on the content for a handout?

(my first thoughts: a 2 inch strip of bright-colored paper, a "catchy" headline and a small number of URL's to mainstream, reputable websites that post the easiest-to-read versions of "What's Really in Pet Food" ....AND..."What To Look For In A Pet Food")

Last edited by Ford; May 20th, 2007 at 11:11 PM. Reason: slander
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Usually I refrain from posting on this issue. While I feed a pretty high priced holistic food, and have read lots on ingredients - good and bad and consider myself much more knowledgeable than I was a couple of years ago, for 30 years we fed Purina Dog Chow, and our dogs had very few ailments. Let's face it, there wasn't the choice we have today either.

I don't think a handout would be a good idea for a lot of people because many cannot afford the higher priced foods even if they were well informed and wanted to go that route. It is no different with human food - i.e. some might eat hamburger while others dine on prime rib. Oh, I know the animals cannot make that choice, but if the owners cannot afford the best food does that mean they shouldn't have a pet? We keep referring to people not being informed, but income plays a major part here, I think.

Pat
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Honest Contributor

um.... if you cannot afford to properly care for a pet (vet bills, innoculations, tags, training, and YES GOOD FOOD) then you shouldn't own one IMO

Old May 17th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I think there are more people that have been educated on dog and cat food than normally would have been because of the whole pet food scare thing. And while there are a lot of crap pet foods out there, there's no doubt that a lot of animals are being fed these foods and are thriving on them. My parents had a cat that was almost 30 before she died and she ate nothing but grocery store food. Not everyone can afford the better brands, and there are a lot who really do think they're feeding their animals a good diet. Some of them even endorsed by the Canadian Vetrinary Association, so what would make them think any different. Point being regardless of what these animals are being fed, at least they are being fed, and loved and cared for, considering all the unloved self sufficient ferrals or neglected roaming dogs out there, in my opinion that's a good thing. My cats eat a very good kibble, but when it comes to wet food, fancy feast or friskies is all they will touch, along with home cooked turkey and ham and whatever else I have, and I've tried everything that's supposed to be better. So far I've had my first 2 cats make it to 18 on that and kibble that was crap before I knew better. If you want to educate people, take out ads in papers, have your own blogs, direct them to the food section of this site, encourage some of these grocery stores and pet chains to supply the better foods. No need to come on to shopping pet owners with an I know everything and you know nothing attitude, you're only going to tick them off and they won't believe you anyway. I certainly wouldn't appreciate anyone coming up to me, and I'd be sure to tell you to mind your own buisiness.

Cindy
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
there's no doubt that a lot of animals are being fed these foods and are thriving on them.
not thriving, not true. Just because a cat or dog here or there is the exception, does not mean the hundreds of thousands of other pets are doing as well. if that were the case, there would not be so many sick and diseased pets around clogging the vet's waiting rooms. the cases of young diabetes, obesity, tooth decay, kidney failure, cancer, arthritis, allergies, and i pass -have skyrocketed the past few decades and it's not a coincidence either - rotten petfoods cause rotten health in most of the pets who eat it. simple.

Old May 17th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Technodol,

If only people who could afford pets were allowed to keep them, there would be thousand more animals in shelters than there are now.
Same should apply to people being allowed to have children, idealistic but it's rather unrealistic don't you think?

Cindy
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:56 PM

So, Mississauga's out..........

Other opinions?
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
If only people who could afford pets were allowed to keep them, there would be thousand more animals in shelters than there are now
no, because stupid people wouldn't be breeding all these pets in the first place... you don,t breed what you don't have. it would all balance out. And if you're too poor (or too cheap!) to afford a basic thing like a good pet food, what's going to happen if your pet needs medical attention? vet's cost a bundle in most cases... hmmm. maybe that's another reason we see so many pets dumped at the shelter. "couldn't afford vet care / meds / trainer"

Senior Contributor

Well then you're just closing your eyes and choosing to see what you like in my opinion. I've seen more than a few animals thrive to long lives on the crap foods, and while I for sure know that there are far better foods out there and I feed mine knowing what is best, I can't deny these other animals exist, I have seen them, and I still say a cared for and loved animal regardless of what it's being fed is a good thing.

Cindy

I was in a pet supply store once, and a guy went up to one of the employees and asked what "the best" puppy food was. The employee said "Science Diet!" and was going on and on about how great it is...I wanted to go over to the guy after the employee left and tell him how to find a good food, as he was obviously interested in finding a good food for his puppy, but the cashier was ringing up my purchases. This was in petco, they had natural balance and a couple other "ok" foods, and the employees push the science diet...

In the grocery store, I don't even like to look in the pet food aisle, it's basically one giant Beneful display now. Plus they have a new food in the supermarket called "The Good Life" that has ads that go on and on about how it "doesn't have any added artificial flavors or additives that pets don't need"...yet is is filled with artificial colors and fillers! I think advertisement for a lot of the lower quality pet foods is very misleading. Pedigree says "no fillers" on their bags. Beneful talks about how healthy it is. Iams talks about itself as if it's the greatest food out there, as does Purina. Purina has those commercials telling you to feed Purina Dog Chow to add an extra 2 years to your dog's life, what they are really talking about is the study they did with restricting calories, but they make it sound like just feeding your pet dog chow will add extra years to its life.

I have thought of making up "how to choose a good pet food" pamphlets and handing them out to adopters and the public...I think if people were educated they would probably feed a better food. Most of them probably aren't even aware there are better foods out there, all they see are the foods in the grocery store and on tv.
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm
I've seen more than a few animals thrive to long lives on the crap foods
ok... please describe "thrive" and how many are "more than a few animals"? what were they eating actually? and exactly? what kind of pets? what kind of medical attention did they get over a lifetime?

maybe your version of "thrive" is not like mine.

Old May 17th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Technodoll, I'm not going to fight with you, we'll have to agree to disagree

Cindy
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:07 PM

My dogs thrived on crap food. They went to the vet every two weeks for ear infections and/or diarrhea, but to me, they were thriving. It was only when I switched them to a wayyyyyyy better food that I saw what I had been doing to them.

Thrive? Hmm. Not sure. Survive? Definitely.

Now my doggies don't go to the vet every 2 weeks anymore and to me, that's worth any difference in price AND all the time I spent researching it.

The bottom line is, we can't all be George Burns, and our pets can't be expected to thrive on the excrement left over from the food we manufacture.
Old May 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm
Technodoll, I'm not going to fight with you, we'll have to agree to disagree
nobody wants to fight i'd just like to know more about what you meant, that's all. if you put forth a statement, it would be nice if you could back it up

Old May 17th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Yeah, my cats lived on Medical and hills for 5 years or so. Duke had constant watery eyes. I was told it was a problem with his tear ducts. As soon as i switched to Felidae and then to Evo, his eyes stopped watering. His once nice coat, got 2x better. His energy increased. It was totally worth it!

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Closed Thread