Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old August 6th, 2007, 11:00 AM
~Cat Servent~

My vet suggested a quick hiss to let them know you don't like what they are doing.... it's their language and funny enough they do understand.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old August 8th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Thanks

Thanks all my cords is up and away yet he likes to climb my computer desk and attack them. I have heard of plastic tubing and I am looking into that problay at wal mart. I play with him alot and he goes like crazy to the ball he loves my other cat that I use to have ball. It does keep him away from the computer until he gets it under the stove and the look is to cute "Hey where did it go?". I will have to get more toys because my guest coming love cats and will give him alot of attention. I know he will grow out of it. I like him the way he is so playful and fun to watch.
I hate to say I am only allowed one cat where I live so my neighbour is great coming over and keeping him company. I am happy for Charlie he is a blessing and I love that kitten and the cords did worry b/c I know they are not good for him to chew.
I will try yea all suggested thanks.
.::Crystal::.
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:00 PM

I got a stray kitten around 8 week old which i save.

She got a nasty attitude, even the vet quote, "she got an attitude."

She will jump bite at our hands and leg. will even rabbit with her hind leg. all the craws will display. it hurts badly.

The worst thing is she dun even allow us to pet her on her back or head., when we touch her, she will just turn back her head to bite. I suppose all cats like to begin stroke on them? or am i wrong

Is it normal? cos i am a first time cat owner. i am lost at what to do with the kitten, if it continue, my parent got to sent it outside in the street again, cos she keep attacking them.

need advice badly.
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Because your kitten was a stray, she is not used to human touching and is just scared right now, not the kitten's fault at all. She will need lots of love calm, soothing talk and cuddles. This is best done when the kitten is tired and ready for sleep. She is like a baby who needs to be taught in gentle ways. Kittens like to be warm, I find holding the kitten with both hands close to my chest so their bodies are enclosed by my hands and only their heads sticking out, seems to calm them and put them to sleep.

Do not use your hands for play with the kitten, use only kitten safe toys. If she goes after your hands, a firm no and redirect her to her toys. Do not hit the kitten, this will only teach her to fear you.

To gain her trust try putting cat food on your fingers and allow her to walk up to your hands and lick it off. If you can, give her a gentle pat and talk to her soothingly. Be aware, if she is really hungry, she may accidentally bite you trying to eat the food quickly, they are still learning coordination.

Good luck.
Old December 16th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Also a bitting kittie

Hi,
I am not new to puppies or kittens. But this is my first kitten that bites and goes after my hands. She even draws blood at times. As best to my knowledge she is about 8-9 weeks old. Shes a sweetie when shes sleeping, LOL but mostly when she is awake the only method of playing or affection she knows is biting my hands and fingers. Some also told me that when she bites either blow in her face and say " NO " or tap the tip of her nose and say " NO" ver sternly. I will try the toys thing that has been mentioned here previously as well. Any one else have any further advise?
Gary
Old January 8th, 2008, 05:54 PM
blacknwhitekitten

Biting kitten

:sad: I have a 8 week kitten. He is very aggressive with biting and scratching. I can't have company over without putting him away in another room. If I allow him to roam around while company is at my home, he will attack them. I'm not sure how to stop this behavior, does any one have any suggestions.
Old January 9th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I just finished raising 7 foster kittens and not one of them bites hands. The trick is to stop any play immediately after a bite or scratch with a sharp "no" command, and then continue play with a toy after they have calmed for a bit. Consistancy is key for this to work and hands can never, ever be used for play (such as wiggling of fingers and such). Hiting should never be used as a punishment, it doesn't work.

Good luck and we require pictures in exchange for advice.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Last edited by Love4himies; January 9th, 2008 at 08:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

My advice usually is to get another kitten,kittens should always come in pairs
Too often people believe a little kitten will become a cuddly little lap-friend right off the bat,they usually are,but are babies after all.
Kittens/Puppies don't know,they don't viciously attack,anything that moves is fair game of play.
It's up to us to try to stop it,to be honest I've never really tried,I've always had more than one cat and usually the grown cats will discipline the kitten
Whatever you do,please do not hit him,it will only make the situation worse.
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:07 AM

oops

my kitten kept biting me too, mostly it was just when i played with him though.
so i flicked his forehead like i would flick a coin to get it spinning on a table every time he bit me, just to show him who was boss... that is until i knocked the little guy unconscious...
just kidding people... so don't freak out all you animal lovers.
really though, a firm sounding "no biting" was the best way to stop him from his playful attack. obviously, i took my hand away from his face after i made sure he stopped bitting to prevent any further damage. to be honest, i think the combination of my forceful sounding voice, and the backing away from him (ending playtime), led him to understand that when he bit me, that would be the end of the fun. he clearly thought that sucked, so slowly but surely he began to fight his desire to chomp on my digits when we roughhoused.
i mean really? i'm no vet, but dude kittens play... biting, pouncing, and clawing is their way of playing (which, according to the folks at the discovery channel, in the wild gets them ready for hunting down their own grub later in life). if you can't handle that, you can't handle parenting a kitten. that's my opinion anyway.
my adderall has lead me to ramble. i apologize if you're still reading this.
oh, and by the way, flicking your kitten in the head is NOT a way to handle the biting issue. i really was kidding. i'm not kidding.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:55 PM

Question Sonic my cat

my cat 12 wks old and refuses to stop biting. i tryed uh ohing him then he stops but starts up again. i tryed blowing on his face and he hooked me on the nose. im wondering if there is any other things i should try. we got him when he was 9wks and from my dads friend so please reply.later ill post a picture for you to see. also he is a bengal/siamese mix.

Last edited by sonic50; June 18th, 2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:32 PM

i have a twelve week ol kitten andshe only bites me and i am happy to say she does listen whe i tell her NO and she neverbites anyone else.as for all the inormation on here thank you andi am glado know that it is a general thing andot just something that i am doing wrong Name:  DSC00024.jpg
Views: 6347
Size:  94.7 KB
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Catlover2

Biting in kittens is natural. They start biting each other around 5 weeks of age, and from then until 12 weeks the rough housing with each other is wild with lots of pouncing, chasing and biting, but this is a crucial time in a kitten's upbring when it learns to control its bite. If a kitten is taken away from it's litter mates too early, say at 6-7 weeks, it often hasn't learned to control it's bite. I was involved in the cat fancy for many years and never sold kittens before 12 weeks of age. None of my kittens were biters. If they went after my fingers, which all kittens do, I would say "No biting!" sternly and give a light tap on the nose. That's what a mother cat would do and if kitty continued to bite would get a harder tap and maybe with claws out, or a bite to the neck. This is a natural thing with all kittens, tame and otherwise. It's practise for subduing and killing prey, but kittens can learn not to bite people. Too often over-stimulation is a cause for biting, especially rubbing a cat's tummy. Some cats cannot tolerate it, or only for a short time, others just love it. All cats are different.
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:25 PM

My kitten is a 5 month old tonkinese and I simply can't get him to stop biting!!
Please help! My hands and feet are seriously chewed up. I've tried a few of the other suggestions like pressing down on his tongue or just being firm and saying NO. A spray bottle would never work with Bingo as he loves water!!
The cat I had before this never bit so this is all new to me. I realize he is just a kitten and he's playful but he ambushes my feet and my husband's as we walk across the room and it's really starting to hurt. The dog is getting a little tired of it too as Bingo likes to bite his tail. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 01:26 PM

To be totally honest there is alot of great advice on here. Your kittens are biting and chasing after your feet simply because they are bored and full of energy. I hand raised my 1st kitten turbo from when he was a week old. He was terrible for that. He would launch onto your pants and crawl all the way up it so he would get ur attention. Now that hes a year old he has completely grown out of it. Most of the time the kittens continue with the aggression because the owners blowing in their faces and flicking their noses or shoving their fingers in their mouth pushing down their toungues. They all work temporarily but its not going to stop him from biting forever. When your kittens biting its because its got a lot of energy and those softer moment are when its all played out. whenever nitro my second kitten I just got bites i just play with her hard core for a while. I chase her around and throw some toys and soon she calms down a bit once she tuckers out. If you lock them away they are just going to get more bored and its just going to get worse. Kittens are energetic and need a healthy amount of exersize. If you find that its chewing on things give it a cardboard box. It really helps the kittens urge to chew. Another kitten can help because they are going to chew and focus on eachother but unless you want two kittens bopping around your home then you just need to pay alot of attention to your kittens and tucker them out a bit. They ussually only have a termendous amount of energy for the 1st year. good luck guys and gals.

Last edited by Rachelle-; June 23rd, 2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old November 16th, 2009, 10:18 PM

Kittens + cords...

I have a 11 week old kitten (Tabitha), she bites a lot... and loves attacking my feet when i'm cooking...I have no doubt she'll grow out of it...She gets a very stern "no!!", she also lets go with a loud "ouch!". To keep my kitten off my computer and tv cords I have wiped them down with vicks vapour rub...she hates it..won't go near them...I just put a lil bit on a paper towel and wiped it over the cords...I would check that your cat/kitten doesn't like the smell first...but so far I've seen her run towards the cords and stop like 2 or 3 inches away when she smells the vicks, I'm hoping that I won't have to do it forever...
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:26 AM

Smile old threads are great sometimes

glad to see this thread lasting through the years. Just because a thread is old, hey, if it is still scoring high in google, it is much better to visit an old thread with new posts than to visit an old dead thread!

I am going to try the tongue thing with my Yoshi (7 weeks old) She is the cutest thing, but a biter.
I will try the blowing in her face first though.

thanks all for the info!

Maria
Old February 8th, 2011, 04:29 PM
yoolie

Thumbs up works for me

i tried the stern "NO!", tried the squirt bottle, tried ignoring him and tried the tongue thing...all of these were an epic fail for Tarrant lol...so finally i said okay, maybe he associates the affection i give him by kissing his face with what you are "supposed" to do with your mouth...i dunno...anyways, i have a loud noisemaker that scares the bejesus outta him when he tries to attack my feet, and i gave him a small stuffed monkey(with the button eyes taken out for safety of course) that he's allowed to chew on while i hold him...somehow it worked out that since he can chew on the monkey, he's more responsive to me telling him NO when he tries to switch to my skin haha! hope this helps someone else, cuz i was getting terribly frusterated and tired of bleeding
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM

fighting

hi im kaitlyn my imcat is mean to hes 3 weeks i hated him when he bit me and dident let go of my finger hes such adead cat but when he sleeps hes such an angel and how do you stop cat fighting im of it
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:30 PM

Smile tounge pressing

I read this at the begining of this forum and altough I felt the same as some (how in the world do I do that) I realized that when my 4 month old kitten is biting me it is quite easy to slip my finger in her mouth and press. IT WORKS!!
Of course there are times when she is in a wild play mood and then nothing works, so I put her in a room and close the door until she calms down.
She has scrathced me a few times on my face when I was cuddling her so I havent been holing her so close to my face anymore and guess what? NOW she comes to my face and licks me!! I love my little minnie<3
Old March 19th, 2012, 07:44 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkieismydawg View Post
I have a 10 wk old kitten and unfortunately he bites all the time and even scratches and bites my face... After a little searching on the Internet i found an article on a website that says if you push down on their tounge after they bite you, it will help them get the point that you will bite back. So far it has worked he bites me less and less.
Dear Sharkieismydawg, I have a 3 month old rescue kitten who would bite my hands, legs and feet constantly! I was desperate today to find an answer on how to stop it so I went online and found your post about pushing down on the tongue. I tried it and it worked!!! My kitten has not bitten me all day. I only had to do it 3 times and after that, Mittens remembered I am so happy you shared that.
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:48 AM

i have two cats. one is about 3 months old. I recently found another about 4 weeks old. Micha is a really sweet kitten, but whenever stray gets around her, she hisses and tries to bite her. i've tried the tips on this site and they work really well. Is there anything i can do to stop micha from hurting stray?
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:09 AM

This is good advice for kitten biting. Lots of toys, laser chasing, rolling balls.

This is good advice for kitten biting. Lots of toys, laser chasing, rolling balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
This is normal kitten behaviour. Kittens don't hang about like a mature cat does, they have an overwhelming need to play. You have to continually re-direct his behaviour with toys that put you at arm's length from his claws. Anything on a stick, screwed up balls of paper or crinkly balls thrown in the air for him to catch, laser tag, you just have to wear him out with regular play. Hand these toys to your visitors as well.

Isn't there some kind of plastic tubing you can get to cover electric cords? These are particularly dangerous (and as you say, expensive to replace). You will just have to kitten-proof your living space. Put anything that might be risky out of reach or even in a drawer. Make sure he can't get at elastic bands, short pieces of string, twist ties, etc.

A kitten this young can only amuse himself for so long without getting into trouble, like a small child. If he attacks you, withdraw your attention immediately and give him a time out. As he gets older, his little brain will start to make the connection between behaviour that gets him good things (more play) and bad things (being ignored). Patience is the key.
When he climbs you, yell loudly enough to really shock him and put him back down on the floor or even in another room.
Try not to respond aggressively, it will only set things back.

Maybe the mods could make this into a new thread, biting kittens is a recurrent theme.
Old October 21st, 2012, 08:22 PM

Squealing at my Squeeks has helped stop the biting.

I so hear you on the biting kitty! Squeekers (aka the Squeekmeister, Squeeks Magee, or Dracula, depending on her mood) is a 12 week old Maine Coon. She's normally sweet as can be, and she seemed to learn that claws hurt quite easily (often visitors, including my mom, think she's declawed - she's not, but she's that gentle with the paw). But when it comes to teeth, well, she could give the Vampire Lestat a run for his money in terms of the blood draw factor.

Like many others, my boo and I tried toys to divert her attention (didn't work), blowing in her face (nope, didn't work, either), and flat out ignoring her. Nothing worked.

What did help? Instead of trying to divert her when she gets in a biting mood, I instead squeal as if in horrible pain. What fancy toys couldn't fix (though they do help in tiring her out), a simple, "OW! WHY? AAAAGGGHHH!" did. The first time I cried out in pain like that, Squeeks looked at me sort of startled, like, "Oh. That hurt? My bad." For the time being, it seems to do the trick.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 01:46 PM

biting kittens

Our first kitten tried biting us and my husband and I had two different approaches. I "bit" her back by on her neck with my fingers. It didn't hurt but let her know that I wasn't going to let her bite me. My husband does what has been suggested on here, he holds her tongue down. She doesn't like his finger staying in her mouth. Now with our new kitten, who was a bottle fed foster cat, we are having the joy of stopping her biting. Wendy is MUCH more aggressive but I have faith she'll stop.