Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 21st, 2004, 02:36 PM
<-----nut ball

Stopid questions...

Ok.

I know I will get varried responses to these, but I need to know.

How often should you feed your dog? 2 or 3 times a day?

How much do you feed a dog (I think some food packages have amounts)?

Do you leave food out all the time, or give them a time limit to eat?

How often should they do their "business" (both pee and poo)?

How often (for regular visits) do you take them to the vet?

Will the vet tell me what vaccinations are needed and when?

I know these are a little odd...but I want to be prepared. I know a lot depends on the dog (size etc).

Thanks!

Raingirl
Old October 21st, 2004, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I feed our yellow lab 2 times a day. During lunch about 11:30 and after supper, about 7:30. At each feeding, I give him about 3 cups, and what ever he doesn't eat right away, is left out, incase he gets hungry later. There are times when his evening feeding lasts him until the next mourning.
You should bring in a pet ATLEAST once a year, and the vet should inform you when an upcoming shot is coming.
Cano goes out to do his business on a schedule.1 when my hubby wakes up for work, 5am, 1 time when I get up 10am, 1 time after lunch 1pm, then every 2 hours after, and when it is aproaching bed time, every hour. He seems to have a very small bladder and can't hold it more than a couple hours. He is 8 months old, and I still have to pick up his water at 8pm, or he will have to go out a million times during the night.
Old October 21st, 2004, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Raingirl
I free feed this works for my boy some dogs need to be given each meal so they don't overeat. Bud only eats what he wants. I only give him his daily amount if he finishes it all, that is all he gets for the day. The amount depends on the weight and amount of activity. High energy dogs will require more food and higher protien levels. More seditary dogs require less food and lower protein levels. The better quality the food the less you will give since it is not full of fillers like corn or soya. Buddy is once in the morning and once at night (poo and pee). I take Buddy twice a year. Vaccines are done once a year and that is a whole other debate but you must get rabies every year by law. I don't give my dog all the shots every year except rabies and if it was not required I would do it every 3 years. There is no such thing as a stupid question, stupid is not asking.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingirl
Briggs is fed once a day.

Quote:
I give her 2 cups

Quote:
she doesn't scarf her food down. It stays all day and she snacks through out the day, and finishes before bed.

Quote:
While we're at work she goes four times a day... morning, when we get home, after our dinner, and before bed. On a weekend or something when we're home all day I go out with her every couple hours.. I figure if we're there, there's no reason for her to have to hold it.

Quote:
I would say 6 - 12 months, unless there's a reason that she has to go... LOL, we've had her for almost a year and I think we've been about 5 times so far...

Quote:
Mine sends a letter or we make an appointment while we're there...
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:46 PM

My answers are for my really large GSD puppy (8 months) but it probably won't change as she gets older. We've been doing it this way since she was old enough to go all day without needing to go potty.

Quote:
We feed 2 times a day. Once in the morning, and once at supper.
Quote:
For 8 months old, we feed 1 1/2 cups dry (with 1/8 can moist) in the morning, and 2 cups dry (with 1/8 can moist) at supper. A younger puppy needs a little bit more (closer to 5 cups a day total). Our angel is a good weight for her age/size.
Quote:
Diamond has a certain time to eat. If she walks away without really touching it, I'll pick it up, play with her to build up an appetite and then put it down about an hour later. She'll most often eat it then. If she walks away from it after chowing down, I'll pick up whatever she leaves behind.
Quote:
Peeing depends on how much they drink. More active dogs may drink more and pee more because of it. Less active may not drink that much so may pee less (not that I would know that!) Pooping depends on how much she eats. She eats 2 times a day, so I can expect at least 2-3 poops a day. Once when she gets up with me for breakfast (if she doesn't go before bed that is), once after supper, and maybe once in the evening after running around all night. My angel will either poop before bed, or when she gets up...not both.
Quote:
After all the shots are done....I'd think once per year is good, unless you want to check their weight. My vet's office likes to see us come in a weigh Diamond. They said "any time" we want to!
Quote:
They should, yes.

Of course, I can't speak for every dog (owner), just me/mine. Each dog/owner is different. I'm by no means an expert, so this is all from my own experiences!

(by the way....no question is a stoopid one!!!)
Old October 21st, 2004, 04:11 PM
banned user

I have always free feed aswell, never had a dog that would eat all the food at once. Every dog is not the same as I babyset a Golden just 6 weeks younger than Blaze and when Frodo come for the weekend he eats as he wants, at home feed twice a day. Honestly, I have asked his mom to free feed. Frodo does not eat it all at once there is food down all the time and it is not big deal. I too believe each dog is different, Frodo is too skiny for me BLaze is perfect and is allowed to eat when he feels. I think I might want to eat more than twice daily so why would my dog not want to and be allowed. I don't agree with feeding only once a day to me that is wrong. Again only my opinion
We feed Nutro Natural Choice Large Bred Puppy and a bag does my house for about 5 weeks and that is my two eating and Frodo every weekend so I would say they don't over eat at all. Works well for us, Jordie visits Dr 2x a yrs, Blaze will too when we know for sure he is over the mange and no longer needs to visit 2x a month.
Old October 21st, 2004, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

yay sammiec, im not the only once a day feeder.

i feed my 8yo GSd once a day at breakfast, but she always gets a nice snack in the afternoon, that may be a denta bone, broccoli stump, carrot or similar.

i cant leave food out as she is a total pig and will eat till she killed herself

she gets about 2 and half cups of dry with a bit of moist meat and rice or pasta or veges, once a week she gets a raw egg on it and once a week she gets about 2 tablespoons of olive oil on her breakfast.

but she also gets left overs and bits of toast and what not, you get the pic.

she does #2's generally once a day maybe 2. she pees hourly or similar.

vet planned visit once a year fro regular check up and booster shots, sometimes we have had a few unplanned visits too.

good to see you are getting a feel for things :love:
Old October 21st, 2004, 04:49 PM
<-----nut ball

Thanks for all your replies!!

I have been reading a lot about different breeds and want to make sure I understand it all.

I guess it's trial and error in the beginning right?

My friend has a great dane and free feeds, because there is less chance of bloat. My other friend has a poodle, and if she left the food out she would eat and eat and eat until she died.

I guess I'm afraid of making a mistake.

Now...one thing I forgot to add to my list. I understand that bloat can be tied to activity after eating? So...what about bloat and free feed? Does that lessen the chances?

Also, so I can start thinking of a morning schedule. If I feed at 5:30 AM when I wake up, get my shower and eat, and take the dog out for a walk and business around 6 should that be ok? Would that be enough waiting time to let things settle?
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Melanie,
What is the raw egg supposed to do?
Old October 21st, 2004, 08:10 PM
Love all creatures

Raingirl, its good to know that you're doing research before you get a dog. Grab some dog care books and flip through a few...its definately a good idea to be FULLY prepared before you think about getting a dog of any size.

I feed mine 2 times a day. She eats Wellness, which I consider a good brand. Three is too much in my opinion, unless of course the dog is a puppy. I also don't feed my dog DOG food all the time. She does get people food..cooked veggies and meat, pasta, rice, etc...a dog gets bored eating the same thing for its whole life..lol I definately wouldn't recommend it.

The amount you give a dog definately depends on the size and the current weight condition of the dog..mine gets 2 cups a day..and she's 57 lbs. It all depends on what kind of dog you get..remember, dogs need alot of exercise to keep them in shape too...and never get a low quality dog food..it'll cost you in the long run...

Good luck..I hope you do some good research
Old October 21st, 2004, 08:21 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith_rizel
Melanie,
What is the raw egg supposed to do?
Raw egg is given for soft skin and shine on coat. My dogs love eggs but prefer them cooked. And also people food I agree many think it is wrong but my dogs have our food daily, fruit, veggies, love chicken and rice and pasta.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 11:42 AM

I feed my dog nowadays 2 times a day, 5.30AM and 5.30PM. When she was a puppy I fed her 3 times a day, but at ~ 4 months I started feeding her only 2 times a day.

My dog is schapendoes (medium size sheepdog) and I feed her one cup per meal, so that is 2 cups a day. I got instructions from the breeder, but they are same as in the food bag.

No, I don't free feed my dog. I give her food twice a day and she normally empties the bowl on 30 secs If I free fed my dog I would have to be filling her food bowl all the time.

My dog Miina is very regular. She poos 2 times a day, in the morning ~6AM (when I take her out for her morning walk) and then in the afternoon ~5PM (afternoon walk). She pees 3-4 times a day (morning walk, afternoon walk and evening walk plus maybe once more just before going to sleep)

Once a year for her shots.

Yes.