Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 8th, 2007, 05:49 PM

Smile

Thank you all for your input about the Orijen cat food brands, I did some research on google and found a pet store practically on my doorstep that I would have never thought to look for it in. As I am a new cat owner, this website has proven to be an excellent source of information through it's readers and participation by all pet owners.
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Boss-lady!

Glad to help out, loreli26! This thread was mostly me thinking out loud and getting the input of the food gurus, but I'm glad it helped you find Orijen. Let me know how your cat does on it.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:15 AM

you are sooo lucky that its available to you! (orijen) i want to try it so bad.
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathr6913 View Post
you are sooo lucky that its available to you! (orijen) i want to try it so bad.
I think it would be better if you let your cat try it.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:44 PM

Three bits please!

[QUOTE=chico2;405003] It's funny,my vet asked me what dry food I feed my cats,I told her Solid Gold and Chicken-Soup.
She looked at me strange and said:Are you sure they are getting all the nutrition they need??Their food,Medi-Cal and Hills apparently to her has all the ingredients(and then some) for a healthy cat..ha,ha [QUOTE]

My Oakville based vet said the same, sells the same products yours does. Mine told me that it was the 'ease of digestion' in the way these foods are manufactured that makes their brands strong choices (to him, equal to the EVO I talked to him about.)

Litter box smell question for you experienced tryers of Orijen / Solid Gold / Felidae: Whats the 'least offensive'? My cat's stools were fine on Nutro (low odor), but are terrible on the EVO I switched her to last month! I want to try something else of quality for her...

Quick Question for the Oakville/Mississauga crowd: What stores are you all buying Orijen / Solid Gold / Felidae at, that is offering you these free samples? I'd love to try that way vs. 2lb. bags.

Thanks ~Scary
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Scary,I got my Orijen from Ren's Pet Depot(corner ofTrafalgar and Burnhamthorpe) ,I only bought a $2 sample-bag to try first and my cats like it.
I've been going to Ren's for 15 yrs,a family-owned business,great knowledgable staff a great selection of both dog and cat-food,I highly recommend it
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm in Mississauga, I buy my wet food at Pet Valu, I was buying dry food at Ryan's Pet Foods, but today I went to Ren's on Trafalgar Rd. and bought a bag of Orijen, and if the cats like it, then Ren's is where I'll be going, they don't have a huge variety of really good foods there though. But the Orijen is all I need, and it's the closest retailer that sells it.

I gave the cats a few kibbles of the Orijen and they gobbled it up, so this week I'll start the switch and see how it goes. I'm pretty excited, my hubby is making fun of me, he said "you're actually excited about their poops?" It's true, I am.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_B View Post
I think it would be better if you let your cat try it.
haha I thought that same thing after I typed it and submitted it.
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Stacer,Ren's have a very wide assortment of dog-food,I always thought they had less of a choice in cat-food,but still much more than Pet-Value and many others.
I find they are expanding their cat-foods all the time,but lets face it,dog-food is the bigger money-maker
Ren's is the only store around here carrying Chicken-Soup FPLS,which my cats also like.
I will slowly ease them in to Orijen,they free-feed on dry,main meals are canned.
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Chico2 - I'll try that $2 bag or Orijen from Ren's soon...I know where you mean and thanks for the tip! Maybe if she likes it, I can buy more and split her food to reduce the super-stinkiness the EVO is causing.

I bought the EVO from Canadian Pet Connection (third line and Upper Middle) and would check back with them too, very knowledgable staff... but they don't carry Orijen... course I could try Felidae next... ah, the choices

Stacer - LOL about the poop excitement, too true for us concerned pet-parents, eh?
Old April 10th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Scary,I've been to the Canadian Petconnection too,the owner and staff are great,I just find them to be a bit too expensive..Ren's is a little cheaper on most things,except doggie-coats,I don't have a dog,but was going to buy one for my walkingcompanion Bailey(the Cocker)could not believe the prices
Old April 12th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Boss-lady!

Hunger strike over! Yesterday I brought in KatzundFlocken kibble and Merrick's California Roll canned-my fussy cat polished off both! Hopefully, that will still be the story in a few days...

If she didn't eat last night, she was off to the vet's today. Not only was she not eating Felidae kibble but she wasn't eating the canned stuff, either, and was turning her nose up at people food, too. :sad: I was getting more than a little worried about her.

Soooo, we'll go with the Merrick's canned and the Solid Gold kibble, although I think I will buy the Wellness Core when it comes in to my food store next week and see about mixing the two dry foods.

Whew! But it had to be one of the most expensive canned foods, of course. I don't care about the price as long as she eats.

Old April 12th, 2007, 01:40 PM

That's good news!
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Skryker,that's great
My cats did not like Wellness Core,the kibbles are really small,but they do like Orijen which is larger and much cheaper than Wellness Core.
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Boss-lady!

The Wellness line is new here-they couldn't get the contract before, apparently. And so that store can't carry Orijen-a contract thing. I'm just happy Dancer is eating. The bowl of dry I filled up at dinner time last night was completely empty this morning. That was a beautiful sight!

Old April 12th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Skryker,I know the feeling,nothing better,well,almost
Why not just keep her on Solid Gold if she eats it,it's not bad food??
I paid $15 for a small bag of Wellness Core,I don't think it was even 2lbs.
Old April 12th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Senior Contributor

When I was at Ren's looking for Orijen, I compared it with Core, they were similar, although Core doesn't use any meats processed with ethoxyquin, and only has 50% protein compared to Orijen's 75%. The major difference was price, like Chico said. I bought the 5.5lb bag of Orijen for 16.99 and the Core was 25.99 for the 5 lb bag, yowza that's huge, which one do you think most people will buy?

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:51 PM
-

Skryker, glad you found a combination that Dancer will eat.
Old April 12th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to say my kitten also thrives on the SG DRY,SHE LOVES IT
Old April 13th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Skryker,that's great
My cats did not like Wellness Core,the kibbles are really small,but they do like Orijen which is larger and much cheaper than Wellness Core.
Ahhh... thanks for that Chico2, I was going to start a post about kibble size. Luna swallows whole the smaller EVO, but crunched her old Nutro NC (which I like better for her teeth) - so that's another vote in the Orijen corner. Hope she likes it when we try next week.

Skryker - I'm happy for you too!

Stacer - thanks for the heads up on pricing... I scanned the net in 1 minute and found the FDA report from 1989 (so old, granted) saying that ethoxyquin wasn't that harmful...
Does anyone know more, or am I hijacking now? I'll start another post.
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Boss-lady!

So, Dancer continues to eat the SG kibble just fine-now it's the canned stuff she's fussy with. I don't mind that so much, because I only started giving her canned because she wouldn't eat dry.

She seems to have two rules for canned food-it's no good once it's been in the fridge, and anything with turkey is a no-no. She "buried" the turkey food I put down the other day without even tasting it. In fact, fishy flavours trump all others. I'll be getting small cans of fishy food for her as a supplement to the dry stuff (she's 11, so it can't hurt, I think, to be sure she's getting extra moisture). Good thing she's not spoiled at all.

Scary, no worries about threadjacking-any info on cat food is not a threadjack here.

Old April 15th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Boss-lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
When I was at Ren's looking for Orijen, I compared it with Core, they were similar, although Core doesn't use any meats processed with ethoxyquin, and only has 50% protein compared to Orijen's 75%. The major difference was price, like Chico said. I bought the 5.5lb bag of Orijen for 16.99 and the Core was 25.99 for the 5 lb bag, yowza that's huge, which one do you think most people will buy?
The 5lb bag of SG was $11.99! I wanted to add some Core to up the protein, since the SG is a little grain heavy, but maybe I'll rethink that plan. She can keep having Merrick's canned to add meat to her diet (and all the purloined pepperoni she wants-since that's one small piece every couple of days, lol!).