Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old December 23rd, 2006, 02:59 PM
chronically insane.

Exclamation my cat stopped making milk..

my cat had a litter of kittens 3 days ago and shes been doing okay with them but today when they woke up they were of course hungry... and they started crying... my mom came in to check on them and they were crawling all over so she reached in and put them on my cat's tummy to nurse and for whatever reason my cats nipples were no longer swollen and had gone back to normal size.. so the babys kept trying to nurse and nothing would happen.

they gave up and went back to sleep but they really need to eat sometime soon =/ what can we do?

vets offices are closed and christmas is on monday and we need some help please...
Old December 23rd, 2006, 03:52 PM

The kittens will need to be cared for by you or your mom and yes, need to eat soon and also kept warm. I haven't done it myself though. Found some details here:

http://www.messybeast.com/handrear.htm

The feeding details are about 1/3 the way down the page but they recommend for healthy kittens the following:
"If commercial kitten formula is not available, a suitable feed mixture for healthy kittens is 1.6 ml evaporated milk, 1.6 ml cooled boiled water, 1 level teaspoon glucose, 1 small egg yolk (no white at all). One recommended by a veterinarian is 3 oz condensed milk, 3 oz water, 3 oz plain full fat yoghurt, 3 large or 4 small egg yolks (no whites). An alternative is kitten glop. These are not suitable for sick kittens. "

I hope they are ok! Good luck to you and keep us posted!

For more links, try searching with keywords such as "hand rearing kittens".
Old December 23rd, 2006, 03:55 PM

More from that site:

KITTEN GLOP

Kitten Glop is a suitable feed mixture for healthy kittens and is also good for lactating queens. Most recipes refer to American brand names which are not understood outside of the USA/Canada. I have converted these to generic terms and noted alternatives.

Ingredients

1 envelope unflavoured gelatine
water per gelatine package directions (approx 12 oz)
1 12 oz can whole evaporated milk (not skimmed) See notes
3 tablespoons plain yoghurt (not low fat)
3 teaspoons clear corn syrup See notes
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 or 2 raw egg yolks (optional) See notes
Notes

If you have canned goat's milk available, use this instead as it reduces the likelihood of lactose intolerance problems. Sheep's milk is even higher in fat but not generally available in cans.

Some recipes use 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons plain yoghurt and omit the corn syrup entirely.

Clear corn syrup (e.g. "Karo" brand in the US) is a concentrated glucose solution. It contains 15% - 20% dextrose (glucose), a mixture of other types of sugar and may be flavoured with vanilla. Dark corn syrup is made with molasses and is more strongly flavoured. Glucose solution may be used instead.

Raw eggs can be a source of salmonella. Do not use any egg white in the mixture, it can prevent other nutrients from being digested.

Kitty vitamins and/or acidophilus are sometimes added. Only add vitamins if the diet is deficient in them - vitamins can be dangerous in too high quantities (hypervitaminosis) and vitamin imbalances affect development.

Method

Boil the water and mix in gelatine powder. Add the other ingredients in the following order, mixing well after each addition: half of the canned milk, corn syrup (if used), mayonnaise + yoghurt, egg yolk (if used), remainder of the canned milk. Use either an egg beater or a blender set to low speed.

Serve the glop at room temperature or slightly warmed since the kittens will be used to warm milk. Warming the mixture makes it more pungent and therefore more appetising. Do not pour back unused portions into the stored mix as it may introduce contaminants.

Glop sets into a jelly when refrigerated. It can either be stored in the fridge in a covered container for up to 2 weeks or frozen into individual portions in ice cube trays and defrosted as needed. Freezing it is very convenient, but it must be properly thawed before serving as cold food will cause stomach upsets in young kittens.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 04:59 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

The kittens are three days old. This solution is not viable. You will lose them one by one very rapidly. You have a choice that needs to be made. The emergency vet is their only solution. The very least they will be humanely euthanized instead of dying a slow death. This is in no way meant to be harsh. It's a reality of their age and their moms rejection of them.