Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:16 PM

Brand New "Non-Cat" person - adopted by a stray!!

HI.
First time here, so I apologize if what I am about to post has been asked before.

I was adopted by a stray kitten at work. Obviously a former house pet, this little black & white tabby was just BEGGING to be rescued. She hung around the parking lot at my work for 2 days....sleeping under cars to get out of the hot sun.

When I walked by and said hello, she eagerly ran to me for some affection. She appeared to have some kind of dandruff, and was painfully thin....my plan was to bring her some water in order to keep her around the building, and call animal services to rescue her. I brought her some water, which she NEEDED. I called animal services, but they said they could not come and pick her up and suggested I bring her in.

After work (several hours later) She was still sleeping under a car. When she saw me, she came running - and purring! I bent down to pet her (I was scared she was sick and could make me sick, but, decided touching couldn't hurt since she was obviously domesticated) she jumped into my lap!

I decided that if she would tolerate being put into a box with the lid closed, I could bring her to a vet clinic and at least have them look at her, and then possibly to the shelter. I brought a box and put her in. She not only went in eagerly but stayed put! Halfway to the vets, she got out and curled up on my lap while I was driving! I was a little scared....what if she got spooked & BIT me or scratched me? I spotted a pet food store and pulled over. I raced in and bought a cardboard cat carrier...fearing that she may not tolerate this small box...I was wrong again! In she went like a perfect lady!

I showed up at the vets. He assessed her to be about 5 months and declared from all preliminary appearances, that she is in remarkably good health aside from being starved. No sign of parasite, fleas, tics, ear mites, or any other diseases. The "dandruff"? Debris from some garbage can she'd gotten into!

He told me to bring her stool (and her) back in a week for tests. I brought her home after a quick stop for supplies. I opened the box when I got inside, she popped her little head out and headed straight for the food dish for some kibble, followed promptly by a trip to the litterbox which she simply examined, followed by a bee-line for my couch, where she proceeded to clean herself all night. I also brushed all the stuff out of her fur....

By nightfall, she looked like a totally different kitty! I am in awe of how intelligent she is. Not only did she ask me for help, she thanked me for helping her, and despite being young and lost - retained her love of humans and ALL her manners. Wow! What a precious creature. I never knew a starved kitten could display such faith in people!

When I woke up this morning, she greeted me like a puppy, and raced to the kitchen waiting to be fed! I broke and gave her a little canned turkey, which she inhaled.

Arriving home from work, I found her to be, of course - a perfect lady. She used the litterbox and did not scratch anything!

Right now, I am thinking of how to find a home for her, although if I can't - I won't send her to a shelter. She is much to precious to go there.

I am fearful though....is there any health concerns in having her in my house (and all over me??) are there any signs of illness I should watch for?
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for being a caring person and rescuing this girl.

I've never heard of any sickness a person can get from a cat, other than pregnant women having to worry about Toxoplasmosis(sorry, I just killed the word) But that comes from the litter and from what I have read, there really isn't much to worry about, unless you are pregnant. In which case, get someone else to clean the litter.

It's sad because it sounds like she was someone's pet. But I think as long as she is healthy and friendly you have nothing to worry about.

I'd get her some good quality canned food. Starting her out with healthy food will keep her healthy. Wellness grain free is a great food and it's what I give my gang. Get her some toys to play with so she can keep herself occupied while you are at work.

And the most important thing is, post pictures!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:40 PM

Congratulations, you've been adopted! And I second the "thank you" for taking her home. She sounds adorable and quite ready to fit into your life.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:58 PM

Thank you!

I feel quite priviledged to have found such a special young lady!

I'm not really sure how to deal with cats though...

One issue? I don't know how to make her *STOP* jumping into my lap when I'm eating at the table...

She's obviously curious about what I'm having for dinner, but gosh! It's hard to eat when you've got a ball of fur flying into your lap every 3 seconds!

Should I put her in another room, or is that mean? I've been continuously putting her down and saying "no" until she gives up (she literally tries it like, 50 times) is this better?

Also - how do I teach her when she's feeling playful that my hands are not toys? She hasn't shown any aggression, but, when I bat her ball around with her she sometimes *looks* like she'd like to try a pounce on my fingers....which I'd prefer she didn't!

P.s. - is it cruel to bathe a cat??
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

Lol. what a great story. If you think you can give her away without breaking your heart missing her, you are so in for a surprise. Seems like she knows its you she is supposed to be with! what a wonderful way to become converted from a non cat person to a cats person!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestygirl View Post
Thank you!

I feel quite priviledged to have found such a special young lady!

Oh no, she found you LOL

I'm not really sure how to deal with cats though...

One issue? I don't know how to make her *STOP* jumping into my lap when I'm eating at the table...

When you figure it out let me know. No, seriously, what I try to do is feed my gang at the same time I'll be eating. That works sometimes, but mostly they will stop eating their food and come and try to get mine. I usually just keep saying no and gently move them away. They pretty much get the picture.

She's obviously curious about what I'm having for dinner, but gosh! It's hard to eat when you've got a ball of fur flying into your lap every 3 seconds!

Should I put her in another room, or is that mean? I've been continuously putting her down and saying "no" until she gives up (she literally tries it like, 50 times) is this better?

Also - how do I teach her when she's feeling playful that my hands are not toys? She hasn't shown any aggression, but, when I bat her ball around with her she sometimes *looks* like she'd like to try a pounce on my fingers....which I'd prefer she didn't!

Whenever she goes for your hands/fingers, distract her with another toy. Never play attack or anything with your hands, your just asking for trouble.

P.s. - is it cruel to bathe a cat??

I bathe my gang at least once a month because I have allergies. Bathing them helps tone down the allergies for me. If you plan on bathing her, I'd say do it once a month or once every two months, and use a shampoo made for cats, since you don't want to dry her skin out. Also, if you are going to do it, start while she is young so she can get used to it and not be afraid of the water. I started my gang when they were kittens and even though they still fuss, it's not as bad as it could be had I started while they were older.
Oh and did I mention PICTURES!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sounds like you've definitely made a friend, zestygirl! I have no cat experience, being overrun by dogs, but your story sure did make me smile!

Any time you want to post pictures of your new housemate, we'd love to see them!

And welcome to the board.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM

I dont know so much about bathing them! some cats dont mind but some are terrified. I have never found a need to bath any of my cats (only washing Rolands paws when he was a baby to get rid of litter box mishaps). Most of them clean themselves very effectively.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:52 PM

My tortoiseshell cat adopted us from the S.P.C.A. She not only has the most beautiful markings, ( and I have seen a few torties in my life ), but also is very gentle and wants to play with every foster we ever had. Great of you to rescue this poor skinny cat and she is such a good girl. You actually can get diseases from cats. Like ringworm which is a fungus from the ground and can be detected by a vet with an ultraviolet light, if the cat seems to have hair missing in shape of a circle. This is very contagious to humans and animals and can take up to 3 months to eradicate. I've had it, and it' no fun. Since she already had a check-up, she will have to be vaccinated and fixed and the vet will tell you what kind of food would be good for her. My cat likes to sit next to me at supper time on another chair. And she wants to get a few bits of my supper. You may want to teach her to sit on the chair next to you. Or just shut her in a room while you are eating. Bad habits are often hard to break! Bathing a cat is o.K. but only occasionaly and they usually groom themselves.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Brand New

Once she's settled in and knows dry food is available at all times she will become less fanatical about what you're eating. Putting her down off your lap each time she jumps up and adding a firm no will teach her some manners. If she persists you can sprinkle water at her face and repeat no. Unless she has rolled in something putrid please don't bathe her, instead get a cat slicker brush and use it once daily to loosen excess fur and keep her coat in good condition. There are some fun toys for cats at the pet store, one that comes to mind is a furry long thing attached to the end of a wand. Wishing you and your foundling many years of happiness.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:53 PM

Well, certainly some good tips!

I have to admit, her manners have been pretty good for being a hobo...!

I think I'll avoid bathing her for now, anyway....she followed me when I started a bath and obviously does NOT like water....

Oh - pictures, ancient? Well, I took a couple....

I'm quite surprised at how domestic she's looking, especially with a little collar on..!
Attached Images

Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:02 PM
Senior Contributor

She is such a cutie!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

She's adorable. Sounds like she's thrilled to pieces to be with you. Love to see a non cat person converted.

Cindy
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, she's a doll! And she looks so proud in her little collar!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:26 PM

ahhh. shes so pretty!!! Im glad you have decided not to bath her. specially if she seems to hate the water so much. have fun with your new little love bug!
Old July 24th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Thumbs up

Looks like you've got enough 'kitty advice' for now, so I'll just say BIG THX! on behalf of people-seeking pets. It sounds like that little black and white cutie (nice to have pics to look at already!) sure hit the jackpot with you . There's a saying about animals...that THEY pick US, and I think there's some truth to that.

Although I grew up with a cat and dog, in my 'single'/animal-free period of life, I became a tad obsessive/compulsive; the thought of a kitten from outside galloping all over my tidy little apt. actually made me very tense .

Twenty years later, as I'm 'enveloped' in cats and dogs, it's hard to believe that I'm the same basic person! Everyone figures out their own standards re: what their furbuddies are allowed to do, and what is just not tolerable. However you work that out, if you're anything like the 'rest of us', you'll find that beguiling kitten will bring a whole lot of love-and laughter!-to your life.

Let us know how things go; this is a very supportive and helpful BB, and there's always someone around to 'talk to'...
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Your kitty is just lovely and thank you for caring for this kitty.
I think this kitty will be eternally grateful to you for rescuing her and she will show you unconditional love like you have never seen before.

Yes, I would not allow her on your lap and if putting her down with a firm "no" doesn't work, then lock her up. My cats are not allowed on laps when we eat. Perhaps feeding her before you sit down to eat so she is not hungry will help.

Cats don't generally need to be bathed so unless she is extremely dirty, otherwise just good brushings will do.

She will need a good quality, large scratching post so they can climb and scratch their claws, it is a cats instinct to do so.

There is no health issues you need to worry about, take the stool sample into the vet and they will check for parasites.

If you can afford to feed premium food, then that is best, Wellness grain free, Ogranics by Nature, Instinct are all good quality foods. These can be found in quality pet food stores like Global-Ryans. Please don't feed her grocery store food as they are filled with corn and wheat, which is not what cats should be eating (have you seen a cat in a corn field munching on corn?)

Good luck, and we love to see more pictures of you kitty, she is a doll.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Zestygirl,It seems to me,this little girl has already broken down your"not-a-cat-person"barriersit happens all the time,once people realize what wonderful little creatures they are.
As for giving her a bath,I would not,she looks perfectly clean and if not,she'll take care of it herself.
My white kitty,can make himself very dirty,but 30minutes later,he's sparkly clean again,all on his own.
We do not allow our cats on our laps while we eat dinner,but one of them always sits on the chair next to me,checking out what I am eating,if he does not like it,he jumps down.
Also,when your kitty gets a hold of your hands while playing,it is not aggression,but playfulness and perfectly normal,try to divert her attention to a toy.
Kittens like to go after anything that moves,it's all a game to her,she will be less excitable as she grows up.

Of course,if you decide to keep her,spaying her is an absolute must,unless your vet discovers she is already spayed.
Please,DO NOT declaw hermany vets will suggest this painful procedure while the cat is being spayed.

If she is spayed,she might have an owner looking for her,maybe she is even microchipped,but I suppose your vet already checked?
I am way ahead of myself here,but I have a feeling you are already in love with this little beauty!
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh she's beautiful! What a little sweetie. I think you are on the right track. If you see she's not a fan of water, you can buy kitty wipes to wipe her down if she ever gets something on her. Like I said, I bathe mine because it helps with my allergies. I don't do it often, just when I get to where the sneezing and the asthma is bad, and they are none the worse for wear.

Good quality food will keep her healthy and happy, and of course a lot of love too.

What a beautiful sweet face she has. I'm so happy you have given her a home.

Old July 24th, 2008, 11:58 AM
~Cat Servent~

AWWWW... for taking her in.... although with that face... anyone who didn't would have to have something seriously wrong with their heart!!! She's adorable... and welcome to the 'I wasn't a cat person' club...

She certainly has chosen a worthy human... I hope you decide to keep her! Oh and that adorable tuxedo face... more pics please!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:46 PM
proud to be a cat slave

She's absolutely adorable

What have you named her?

You've gotten great advice so far - and this board is a great place to come to for any questions you might have!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Congrats! It is always nice to see another convert

I wrestle with Mooki a lot (in short spurts now because of her "health issues"), but I keep her nails short and I don't end up too hurt LOL! That is probably one of the most important things you can do is to learn to clip her nails yourself...she will not like it at first, but take it slowly and she will get used to it...Mooki lays there purring until I am done

As for bathing...MEH, try it in short spurts and see how it goes...because of their skin, I wouldn't bath more than maybe once a month...if you time it right, she will jump into the tub after you get out and there is still water in there...half the battle won already!

Her on your lap while eating...just put her down to the ground...she will get the hint if you keep doing it...she may even meow at you and leave the room...yes, she is telling you to ****off LOL!

Excuse my rambling...another thing you need to get is a scratching post...I have one in every room (the ones with a base and a pole wrapped in carpet are sufficient)...saves your furniture and if you sneak up on them while they are sharpening, it will turn into a friendly game of tag!

Most of all, have fun with her...cats are really quite smart and eager to learn...you can train a cat to do tricks...show her love...create a bond and she will be a buddy for a long time

Last edited by TacoGrl; July 24th, 2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:42 PM

Don't do it

Although I think its too late to save you now.

It won't be long before you will be waiting on her hand and foot .. she will probably want the car keys in no time.

Look at the eyes in that first photo - they have "you are under my spell" written all over them.

I think she probably cased your joint for weeks getting to know your weaknesses before approaching you.

Oh well ... At least you will be known as the crazy cat person with the cutest cat in the street.
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:03 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Smile

...zestygirl, hope all is going okay with you and kitty-and that you don't feel too overwhelmed by all us critterfolk. Everyone's happy to think of one more creature saved, and there's a lot of very experienced cat butlers
on this BB! Write us a quick update, when you have the time, and don't be discouraged by any challenges/glitches; sometimes ya have to think outside the [litter] box!
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM

Help!

Thank you all so much for your kind words of encouragement!

She is doing WONDERFULLY. Her playful "kitten" nature is back! I am glad I am on vacation,though, so she won't be so lonely while I'm at work....

I do have one big issue that I need to think about....how can I keep her when I go away overnight so often???

Can cats go camping? What's the best way to have a cat travel by car?

How can I put her in a pet hotel without proof of vaccinations?

I know I can put a notice up in my building for a pet sitter...but, I have plans NOW and nothing in place to deal with my new guest!

Anyone have a similar issue?

One more thing I haven't mentioned...I've been in kind of a "hurry" to find her a home because my two daughters (14 and 7) are vacationing with my family in Edmonton. They will be back on the 2nd of August, and we all know what's going to happen if Dolly is still here when they return!

I would say that I would DEFINITELY keep her if I had a steady, affordable pet-sitting solution...

Any ideas are welcome!!!

Attached Images

Old July 25th, 2008, 05:33 PM
banned user

If you get a cat carrier , you should have no trouble taking her camping or in car, just get her a harness and a light weight cat leash and she should be fine. I know of some people who will leave ALOT of food and water out for their cat and they leave for a night. Sometimes 2 ..I really hope you can find a way to keep her!!
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

She is gorgeous! I have left mine and gone away for the weekend...left lots of food, water, extra litter box maybe and lots of toys..I have never had a problem! When I have tried to take them out of their home environment they are worse! Tried to have my mom watch...they hated me for a long time! Each cat is different!

My only concern about camping is if she gets away from you! and gets lost! Thats tough to deal with! they can slip their collars...I dont know alot of the harness's though!

Thankyou for rescueing her!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:15 PM
~Cat Servent~

I know of people (my brother) who leave their cats(2) for a long weekend (3-4 days) with extra food water and a litter box, and the cats do just fine. And if you were to travel often a furry friend for the kitty is always a good idea so they don't get lonely!

You can always have someone stop in to check on things (my parents come daily but thats because I have 6... could you imagine 6 cats filling up the litter for a few days! ), some larger cities have pet sitting services, where if you were away for a longer period of time you could have someone come scoop the boxes and top up food/ water just a couple of days spread out over the week.

And unless you have a motorhome or large camper where the kitty can be confined indoors, I don't suggest taking them camping... we were at a sight once where someone was looking for their lost cat, just broke my heart. When we left they still hadn't seen it...:sad:

And Dolly.... what a perfect name!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

You could always contact a professional pet sitter to come in once a day. Not sure how much it would cost in your area, but here's a link to a pet sitter locator that could help you find out: http://www.petsit.com/locate/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 25th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Re: bathing - the only time I bathed my cats is the day (or when their stitches healed) they came home from the shelter. Seemed to calm them and make them feel at home. Other than that they were/are all pretty tidy.

Re: camping - we leave ours at home alone, the longest was three days/two nights. Any longer than that and our neighbour will pop by just to give them some company. We ALWAYS leave a quiet radio on in a room upstairs set to a talk station and that's where we find them when we come home.

She's adorable, looks like a playful little thing!