Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old May 18th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Dogs with Unique Coats

http://www.reshareworthy.com/33-dogs...IusyMpj9XAE.01
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Do you think some of these photos are photoshop or these the dogs real markings ?

I love the dog with the ♥ shaped nose .
Old May 18th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow. I think some of them are photo shopped. The Labs I don't think are.

Unfortunately the unique appeals to the uneducated and uninformed and some colours have serious health issues depending on the breed.
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:19 PM

Longblades,
It really is sad to see how prevalent those coat patterns caused be genes linked to diseases are, and that the poster of the pictures seems to have no idea how lethal and debilitating those "pretty" genes can be. The number of merle dogs was truly distressing.

http://www.border-wars.com/2011/03/l...ant-merle.html

On the other hand, that dog with the heart shaped nose
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old May 20th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Longblades,
It really is sad to see how prevalent those coat patterns caused be genes linked to diseases are, and that the poster of the pictures seems to have no idea how lethal and debilitating those "pretty" genes can be. The number of merle dogs was truly distressing.

My niece send me the link for these photos , I do have to wonder about the
shaped nose .
Old May 23rd, 2014, 08:42 AM

I actually think the heart shaped nose is natural. The nose isn't shaped funny, it's just the pigment. Lots of dogs have spotty pigment on their skin (including my own), most of the time it's hidden under the fur. I've seen dogs with pink and black noses, so I'm willing to believe a pink streak could turn a black nose into a heart.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old May 23rd, 2014, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Longblades,

In my breed, Labrador Retrievers, there is a growing problem with BYB producing what they call silver Labs. Less often charcoal and champagne. These are not official colours, they are gene mutations producing dilute versions of the official colours of, in related order, chocolate, black and yellow. Uneducated buyers think the colours are legit because they are often registered but the breeder lies and calls them by their official colour.

Shortly down the road some of these poor dogs experience skin problems, hair loss, sometimes very, very bad. It's Alopecia or Hypotrichosis, sometimes called Dilute Alopecia if that applies. Other breeds are affected too, as per the link to the Merck Manual.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/inte...trichosis.html

It's very sad for such dogs and their owners. I don't think any of these dogs are in the link in the OP, it's just an opportunity to spread a little education and ask that puppy purchasers educate themselves before buying.

In the colour link it's the first one that I find most fake looking. My monitor is old but I swear those black eye rings are photo shopped on.
Old May 23rd, 2014, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
In my breed, Labrador Retrievers, there is a growing problem with BYB producing what they call silver Labs. Less often charcoal and champagne. These are not official colours, they are gene mutations producing dilute versions of the official colours of, in related order, chocolate, black and yellow. Uneducated buyers think the colours are legit because they are often registered but the breeder lies and calls them by their official colour.

Shortly down the road some of these poor dogs experience skin problems, hair loss, sometimes very, very bad. It's Alopecia or Hypotrichosis, sometimes called Dilute Alopecia if that applies. Other breeds are affected too, as per the link to the Merck Manual.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/inte...trichosis.html

It's very sad for such dogs and their owners. I don't think any of these dogs are in the link in the OP, it's just an opportunity to spread a little education and ask that puppy purchasers educate themselves before buying.

In the colour link it's the first one that I find most fake looking. My monitor is old but I swear those black eye rings are photo shopped on.
It's awful how breeders will lie about a dog. I met some people that had a mini poodle ,they where told it was a toy poodle like they wanted. The dog was lucky the people still wanted him b/c he was a ,lot bagger than a toy poodle.