Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 27th, 2005, 09:17 PM

my dog and puppy chow?

Hi. I have a 7 year old havanese who has had about 1/3 of his teeth removed. For that reason he does have some problem chewing. I accidentally bought some puppy chow and he loves it. I was wondering if it would be harmful for him to continue eating a puppies food when he is 7 years old?
Old February 28th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I know puppy food has things in it that adult food would not. As far as helping them grow and stuff. So I do not think it would be a good idea to let your baby continue to eat it. What about changing to soft food since some of the teeth are gone? What kind of food is it? I know it is puppy chow but what brand. Sorry I am not more help. If you let me know the brand we can all go from there to help you.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Hi! I feed my 3 year old Husky X puppy food after our vet recommended it. He is very picky with his food and looks really skinny. Our vet said that the puppy food has a higher fat content. Look on the side of the bag for the nutritional content and compare brands. If you are worried that he will get a little pudgey, look for one with a lower kilojule number. (I think that is the right spelling)
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Puppy food is not good for adult dogs. It has way to high a protein content and there are other ingredients in it that adults do not need. Next thing is you need to find a better quality food then your dog might like it. Purina is pretty much crumby food especially dog chow line. It is mostly corn and soya which is just filler and contains no nutritional value and is a high allergen for dogs. So a rule of thumb is if you can buy it in the grocery store or your vets office it is crumby food yes that means Iams and Science Diet also. The ingredients are listed in the order of how much there is you want #1 to be chicken or lamb not some cereal grain because that is essentially all you are buying is ceral and not even high quality cereal. There are lots of foods that will not break the bank and are in the long run cheaper to feed since they require smaller amounts due to the fact that they are not all filler and in the long run will save you money at the vet. If you need suggestions you can pm me and I will try and help you narrow down choices available to you.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Performance Spaniels

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz

That link will let you choose different types of food and list the ingredients in order. It also will define for you what ingredients mean like what really is chicken by product meal. I suggest not eating before researching, but it is highly useful in finding new food.

Also, places like Petsmart while they genrally only stock one brand of better than average, but not the best of the best food like nutro, will take back the bag of food if your dog hates it or in your case can't eat it.