Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 6th, 2008, 09:03 AM

chewing problems!

I need help! Georges, my 4 months old english bulldog keeps chewing the table and chairs !!! I spend most of my time with him tell NO! and pushing him away from the chair when i say no he stops but start chewing again a few seconds later... we bought a spray that taste yucky but Georges seems to like it and licks it off...
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

are you giving him other things that he can chew?

Cindy
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

that question is coming from someone who has a kitchen table and chairs that look like they've had many years of wormwood infestation.

All of my dogs have chewed the table and chair legs, I spray them with bitter apple and it helps, but making sure they have their bully sticks every morning before we go to work helps a lot.

Cindy
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:09 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

if the bitter apple isn't working try rubbing the legs of the furniture with tabasco sauce, on the rare occassion the dog will like it, but not too often.
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Patrón liked bitter apple too... lol
Just make sure he has PLENTY of other things to chew on!
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:42 AM

he has plenty of toys to chew. I keep stubbling him them! But he always seems to go back to the table and chairs. We tried giving him branch we brought back home but he ended up eating lil bits of it and choking a lil bit so we stop it...

i'll try the tabasco thanks for the tips
Old November 6th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Tabasco sauce worked for me too! It got that I only had to put the bottle out and the dog would bark at it and leave the room. Sounds like your pup could be in the teething stage also. Have you tried a frozen/stuffed kong? For teething you can also freeze a wet washcloth and let him chew that. Good luck, it will stop eventually though.
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:03 PM

i didnt have tabasco at home but i tried a extra hot thai chili sauce... Poor Georges didnt seem to like it! I know he's teething... is starting to have to bulldog look when you can see his bottom teeth
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The good news is that once he's done with the misery of teething, there's a good chance he'll lose that urge to chew furniture! Then he'll move on to his 'paper phase'! Secure your toilet paper!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:11 PM

he doesnt have acces to the bathroom since he would have to get thru the living room to do so and there's too much dvds, cds, electronics and collectibles to let him loose there!!!! he pretty much have acces to the kitchen, the hall and our room if we are in it
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Ah the joy of puppies! Try distracting him when he does it with a toy or a ball.
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old November 7th, 2008, 09:57 AM

that i do but it's like a 5 sec solution...
Old November 7th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Well there you go, you'll now be the proud owner of tables and chairs with red chili sauce legs. But they'll have legs. Freeze a washcloth for your baby to chew on. He'll appreciate it.
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
The good news is that once he's done with the misery of teething, there's a good chance he'll lose that urge to chew furniture! Then he'll move on to his 'paper phase'! Secure your toilet paper!
OMG, is that a normal stage of puppy chewies??? 'Cause I can't leave a newspaper ANYWHERE in the house right now unless I want to come home to a main floor covered in confetti!!!
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:04 AM

lol seems like i have good times ahead
Old November 13th, 2008, 09:46 AM
<3 XOXOXO <3

I understand how you feel. Lexi likes to chew on tables , shoes ,toys, or whatever the skinkids have left lying around. My husband made a nice wooden banister and it now has chew marks at the bottom.: He was not very pleased I try to bring out a new toy she hasn't seen in a while, or I play fetch with her to tire her out. I never thought of the tobassco sauce. I am not sure it would work for her . She loves food and probably would think it was a new tasty treat

Seth 13
Hunter 7
Emma 3

Reese 10 Years Chocolate Lab
Lexi 1 year English Bull Dog

Hammy (hamster)

Old November 13th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Georges finally digs the tabasco! So i'm out of ideas! I think he chews the furniture when he wants attention... and he wants alot of it!!! He likes the be the center of it... He usually chew the chair i'm sitting in when i am at my computer! so i play with him a bit or scratch his head
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:25 PM

After my doggie started doing that, I did the only sensible thing I could think of. I cut some excess branches off my apple tree and brought them in, one at a time.
As long as he had a nice apple branch he was not interested in an old Ikea chair.
Nothing else seemed to work, he wanted wood.
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Obsessed animal lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by scathach View Post
Georges finally digs the tabasco! So i'm out of ideas! I think he chews the furniture when he wants attention... and he wants alot of it!!! He likes the be the center of it... He usually chew the chair i'm sitting in when i am at my computer! so i play with him a bit or scratch his head
Try clove oil. You can probably buy it at a specialty grocery store or health food store. You only need a little bit and dogs aren't supposed to like it. I'm wondering if you should get a piece of wood and smother it in peanut butter. Put the oil on the legs of your table and chairs. When he goes to chew the legs, introduce the peanut butter covered wood. Maybe he will choose the PB over the clove oil. The trainer at the obedience school I went to told me a story about a woman who discovered that jalapeno juice (the juice from a jar of jalapenos) repelled her dogs so she painted everything in jalapeno juice. Whatever works! Or what about a kong, fill it with yogurt or peanut butter and freeze it. That way, he gets a treat and his teeth will be soothed.
Old November 14th, 2008, 04:30 PM

we bought a kong but he doesnt want to play with it... it's wood that he want... i try again giving him a branch... i'll see if he choke this time... he really seem to like the taste of wood... if you could see him playing with that branch at the moment
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
we bought a kong but he doesnt want to play with it... it's wood that he want... i try again giving him a branch... i'll see if he choke this time... he really seem to like the taste of wood... if you could see him playing with that branch at the moment
No branches! Get some large bully sticks. Expensive, but well worth it. You don't want him eating branches.

Cindy
Old November 15th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
When my dog was a puppy I bought him a kong. Then I'd coat a milkbone or something with peanut butter and put it in the hole on the bottom of the kong, and he'd spend the rest of his life trying to get that biscuit out.

Most dogs like peanut butter, so maybe it's worth a try.

Last edited by JM4611; November 15th, 2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: missed a few words
Old November 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I see you said that when he chews the legs of the chair your working on at your computer you scratch him for a while. You are rewarding his bad behavior by doing this. Have you taught him a down stay yet? If you are working on your computer put a little bed next to you on the floor and put him on the bed. Give him a nice toy to chew on and tell him to stay. If he gets up and comes to chew the legs of your chair he's looking for your attention in a bad way - do not reward it. Keep a very short leash on him if you need to and then lead him back to his bed and put him back there and tell him "down, stay" and make him behave. It can be done. Yes he will likely outgrow this stage, but you have to be careful that you don't reward the bad behavior and make it stick around. If a dog is being naughty to get attention he doesn't really care if it's good or bad attention as long as he gets you to pay attention. You have to break this cycle. Don't play with him because he's chewing! Teach him to be calm and to redirect his bad behavior. Good luck to you.

Last edited by Dog Dancer; November 15th, 2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:29 AM

i don't scratch him when he chews... when he does that he gets a NO and i push him away. i pet him when he comes and don't chew, when he puts his head on my feet and rest. Seems like he chews less... he as more teeth everyday yesterday he didnt came the chew the chair... he went back in is crate and was snoring in less than a minute
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:28 PM

my old english bulldog chews on everything also. he stays outside during the day when we are at work. so far he has chewed the siding on my house, the brake lines on my truck 3 times, the pool furniture, etc....

i have tried every toy out there. i give him milk jugs, water bottles and bones. i am about a wits end here.

he is a 1.5 years old and if this does not stop soon he will be looking for a new home.
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:48 PM

1 and 1/2... Georges is only 4 months old!!!! :sad:
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:05 PM

i hope you have better luck than me. i really dont want to get rid of him because everyone loves him, but my patience and need to fix things more than 2 times is about to come to an end
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:30 AM

scathach
I hope you can hang in there. When I got Scruffy he was 7 months-ish, past the teething stage and a chew-a-holic. I tried everything mentioned above. Then one day, out of the blue, he stopped chewing. Just grew out of it I guess. It was worth a few chewed up things to end up with such a lovable dog.
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdog View Post
my old english bulldog chews on everything also. he stays outside during the day when we are at work. so far he has chewed the siding on my house, the brake lines on my truck 3 times, the pool furniture, etc....

i have tried every toy out there. i give him milk jugs, water bottles and bones. i am about a wits end here.

he is a 1.5 years old and if this does not stop soon he will be looking for a new home.
Doesn't sound to me like you've tried very hard to contain him in an area where he can't do any damage to himself or your property. Milk jugs and water bottles are not a safe thing for a dog to chew. Have you tried kongs and bully sticks? Have you tried crating the dog. Have you tried keeping the dog away from things that can harm him like brake lines!!!
Do yourself and your dog a favour and find him a home that is going to be willing to work with him and train him properly and give him a loving home inside the house where he belongs.

Cindy
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:55 AM

already Georges chews less than he use too... last night i was at the table playing on my laptop and he came and sat at my feet... i just had to push him away once