Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old November 18th, 2014, 05:15 PM

Cat Milk and Senior Cats

I just got here today and have a question, my 17 year old cat is sick and he's stopped eating. He has a tumour in his nasal cavity that is making him not eat. We've been to the vet's several times even taken him to an emergency hospital. He wasn't drinking either until today, I got him to drink some water. The vets said he needs to be able to smell to eat but not to drink, if he's just starting to drink again can he survive on cat milk if he can't eat solid food. The surgery to get rid of the tumour will most likely kill him in his weakened state right now and if he can start to take liquid food like the milk could it help him gain his strength back? Our other option is euthanasia and we don't want to do that if he can still be saved.
Old November 18th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

You could try buying a powder cat supplements and adding it to the milk .
Old November 18th, 2014, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

You really, really need to be asking your vet. Your vet is the best professional help to assess what to do for your cat. We all are cat lovers, but not qualified to answer your questions.
Old November 18th, 2014, 11:43 PM

I was with my dad when we went to see two vets, they both said if he doesn't start eating then we'll have no choice but to put him down. They mentioned nothing about giving him liquid food, that I came up with on my own.
Old November 19th, 2014, 12:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I have little experience with cats, but maybe if you make that suggestion to one of the vets they could give you advice? I know it's possible to use a feeding tube to keep a cat fed, but it must be traumatic for the cat, and maybe not worth it for the amount of time it might give you. Otherwise, unless your kitty drinks enough of it on his own, there likely won't be enough nutrition there to keep him going.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 19th, 2014, 02:00 PM

I agree at this point you really need to follow your vet advice. It's never easy to see our pets age and suffer illnesses. I hope the cat milk works for you kitty.
Old November 19th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani-Mei View Post
I was with my dad when we went to see two vets, they both said if he doesn't start eating then we'll have no choice but to put him down. They mentioned nothing about giving him liquid food, that I came up with on my own.
I am so sorry to hear this and know how upsetting that new is to you. I had to put my beloved Standard Poodle down , he was my hearing dog and best friend. He got cancer and was not able to t keep food down anymore.

I had cat that looked just like your , I had to give him away .
Old November 20th, 2014, 12:13 PM

I have been trying to get some cat milk into him, he takes one sip, maybe two then won't take anymore. Maybe he doesn't like the taste? He is not drinking on his own though, I literally have to shove his face into the water dish to get him to drink.
Old November 20th, 2014, 01:05 PM

Have you tried feeding him AD Diet (high calorie medicated food) with a syrindge? My sister's cat had a simular problem and that helped him put some weight back on.
Old November 20th, 2014, 04:19 PM

Did they ever mention giving him an appetite stimulant? Possibly he's too old and sick to try it, I don't know.
Old November 27th, 2014, 10:41 PM

We had a perscription for an appetite stimulant, it did nothing for him and well...it doesn't matter now. We had to let him go tonight.

Old November 27th, 2014, 11:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry for your loss, Ani-Mei. He was obviously well-loved and very lucky to have been with you for so many years. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

handsome Tuvok

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 28th, 2014, 11:13 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss Ani-Mei. Tuvok
Old November 29th, 2014, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the good will. We miss him dearly.