Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 4th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Owned by Angus & Brier

What Type/Brand of Cat Litter Do You Use?

Hey!

I'm very curious what type of litter everyone uses? I already bought Purina Maxx Scoop cat litter but I'm still unsure about it.

I am finding it kinda stressful to pick a litter...which sounds strange but I really want to use a product that my cat will like.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

BTW....I will be picking up our little kitty tomorrow at 2pm so be prepared for her pictures sometime tomorrow evening!!

Thanks!
Monty: You Will Be Forever In My Heart
Old January 4th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I use 3/4 Feline Fresh and 1/4 clumping litter (whatever is on sale). The combo works amazing and does not smell....and I have 5 cats!
Old January 4th, 2011, 02:54 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

I had been using the Costco brand for the first year we had Ziggy and Zuzu but this fall once the windows closed I found it somewhat smelly. At the same time Benmax had discovered Feline Fresh and spoke of it here. I switched to that and am completey satisfied. I also like that it is biodegradable and flushable

Good luck picking up the kitten (2 are just as easy you know ). Will definitely be checking for pics

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Tokie Wartooth's Mother

I use pine pellets from the good pet store, when I take the time to go. If I`m in a rush I buy the arm and hammer corn cat litter that is relatively new.

I prefer the pellets. I like Yesterday`s News as well.
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:56 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I found Feline Fresh or Swheat Scoop works wonders here. With 14 kitties in the house clay wouldn't cut it. I hate the smell of wet clay. Add the pops on top of it and Both of them are really easy to clean. The smell doesn't knock you for a loop like I found clay did. Both are much more environmentally friendly. FF can be flushed but not if you have a septic system. SS offers a free bag after using 12. FF offers a free bag after every six. I find Feline Fresh lasts a little bit longer than Swheat Scoop. With one kitty you would probably need to change the whole thing out about once every 5 to 6 weeks. With clay I found I had to change it every week because the smell was overpowering.

IMO I would keep your clay you have now and start kitty on it mixed with a small amount of the FF or SS - about 1/3 of it. Gradually add more and decrease the amount of the clay stuff. I would imagine the kitty has been using clay at the shelter so a complete change to something else right away may be too much for the kitty to understand that is what she is supposed to be using.

Can't wait to see pics!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; January 4th, 2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Owned by Angus & Brier

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate them all.

The feline fresh brand is one that has come up a lot in my search, and hopefully I will be able to find it here on the island.

Also, I just found out that the other cat that caught my eye at the humane society (it was between these two cats) has been adopted by my sister! They had been looking for a cat and when my sister and I went to the shelter the other day she REALLY loved this cat. This little black beauty will be coming home with my sister on Friday!!!!
Monty: You Will Be Forever In My Heart
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:35 PM
-

I've seen it at Canadian Tire but only in the small bags. If you the Feline Fresh website they have a buy 6 get one free program.

Kudos to your sister for adopting a kitty as well.

Looking forward to pics soon.
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Since our cats aren't fussy about the litter, I switch it up depending where I'm shopping.

If I buy clay, I generally buy the Max Scoop (multicat), but I HATE the packaging (WTH am I supposed to do with those big tubs afterwards? So not eco-friendly).

Right now we've got World's Best Litter in their box, I find that it's not containing the smell as well as the Max Scoop. We liked Swheat Scoop and used it exclusively for the first few years we had the cats, but wanted to switch to something a bit cheaper.

I like anything that's biodegradeable and can go in my green bin for composting. Corn based litters have been the best (aside from Swheat Scoop) in terms of clumping capabilities and odour containment.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old January 5th, 2011, 07:26 AM

I use the silica crystal litter, if only because it is lighter and easier to carry from the grocery store than other litter. My 3 cats have no problem with it.
Old January 5th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Willing cat servant

I recently bought Arm & Hammer cat litter. I have 2 cats and they pee a lot haha (besides de normal pooping of course) it's really good! I clean it once a day everyday and there is no faint smell at all!
I am surprised. It works really well smell wise
I bought the Multicat one.
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:59 AM

I used Feline Fresh pine pellets, my mum uses their scoopable litter, I highly recommend both.

The true test of how good a cat litter is at odor control is to have someone else walk into your house, right passed a recently used & not yet cleaned out litterbox and comment they can't smell a thing.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 10th, 2011, 01:32 PM

We use Yesterdays News. Seems to contain odors fiarly well and is very low in dust. We actually use it for our rabbit and hedgehog aswell.
Old January 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
The true test of how good a cat litter is at odor control is to have someone else walk into your house, right passed a recently used & not yet cleaned out litterbox and comment they can't smell a thing.
Absolutely Growler. Infact my real estate agent dropped by and remarked on the animals but commented that there was no smell. He thought maybe my cats were 'outdoor cats'....LOL. Anyways, when I showed him where the boxes were, he was amazed that 5 cats in the house..and no smell.
Old January 10th, 2011, 03:54 PM

i used to use maxxx scoop when i had my kitty. I now use Yesterdays News for my hedgehog
Old January 10th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Laval Zoo

Been using pine pellets for a few years now and I love it! I don't think I'll go back to anything else.