Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

View Poll Results: I can't live without my... (multichoice, private)
land line... 14 36.84%
cell phone... 17 44.74%
computer... 29 76.32%
high speed internet... 23 60.53%
Wireless high speed internet... 9 23.68%
mp3 player, ipod, etc... 9 23.68%
Wii, xbox, etc... 3 7.89%
satellite radio... 0 0%
shortwave radio, dialup internet, black and white tv... 2 5.26%
technology! All of it! I need the latest and greatest all the time! 6 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:07 PM

Poll of the night! Technology you can't live without!

Every time I see Hazel trying to download a pic thread, or dog forbid, a podcast , I'm very glad to have high speed... And I don't think I could go back to dial up either...

So what technologies can't you live without?

(poll coming)
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I wrote "high speed" but that would include the computer, I take it??? Otherwise guess it wouldn't do me much good.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:16 PM

lol I was wondering. "How?" It was multichoice, so you could have picked both, but ok... yeah... I guess every vote for high speed is a vote for computer but not vice versa.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:20 PM
Live well, laugh often

Land line, cell phone, computer, hi-speed and mp3.

Unless I'm on holidays and then I don't want any of them .
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:24 PM

hehe..

I don't have a cell phone... And I don't plan on getting one. I'm the only person in the world, I think- or maybe one of two, without a cell phone. I'm not so important that you need to reach me this minute. Leave a message.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 11:28 PM
Live well, laugh often

I have one but if I am self-employed and write it off for business.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:04 AM

Oh there is so much I would not want to live without. I don't have a landline, so I guess my cell phone would be number one for both communication and safety, then of course this lovely mac and highspeed! And then comes the ipod for all the walking and bus riding I do to and from work. Whoa, that makes me sound greedy. At least I don't own a television.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:11 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

I put high speed internet.i have a cell phone with Mike on it to stay in touch with the family.if it weren't for that i wouldn't have one other than the one work makes us have.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:06 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

I voted shortwave radio, dialup internet, black and white tv... lol
Living where I do its pretty much all I can get
Actually though on a serious note, its my satellite radio, I cant go back to crappy Q92 and EZ Rock on a daily basis.
I can handle dial up for now... ( but even that is wearing thin) I guess its because IMO, dinosaur dialup is better than nothing and I have never had the luxury of highspeed here. lol
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I picked cell phone, computer and high speed internet. If the day ever comes that I have to go back to dial-up
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
Senior Contributor

The only one I ticked off was "land line" and I'm dubious about that even though I live in the country.

I don't get the shakes when I go on holidays and I leave my office high speed internet behind . . . . . and I have dial-up at home that's excessively slow because its rural.

A piece of technology I couldn't live without would be a vehicle. I couldn't imagine hitching up the horses and the buggy for the 35 km commute in the morning.

The common camera is a piece of technology I'd rather keep.

Dishwasher's are your friends, as are the dryer and washer for clothes.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Well Rick is right. I do love my washer and dryer. My dishwasher is being very temperamental these days so I "invested" in a drain board to cut down on the use of the dishwasher. And I'm really not missing that thing all that much.

Phones are an absolute must, land and cell, because I'm a mom. But otherwise they don't thrill me.

And my husband's income is very dependent on computer work, and so is my little job so if I had to go back to dial up I would do myself an injury.

But....I'm really a paper and pencil kind of gal. I love to make lists that I can take with me. I'd rather browse a catalogue sitting in comfort on the sofa with a cup of coffee or tea than on this uncomfortable chair at the computer.

So yeah I guess I'm a reluctant technology junkie.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:55 AM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

hmm. sadly its my cell phone. i like to be in touch with friends and family. i get lost a lot too so its handy to find my way aroun.lol
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:57 AM
Boss-lady!

I have cable internet, so I wouldn't want to go back. I spend hours a day on the computer for both work and fun,but I prefer actual catalogues for shopping or browsing. One of the book suppliers I use just went all digital and I don't like it. I prefer being able to flip through the catalogue and prefer to create an order from a catalogue.

I have a cell phone solely for long distance driving. I dislike the things in general so it's rarely ever turned on or used (and when I got lost in the middle of nowhere and needed directions-no signal! ). I actually resent the idea of being always in touch. If I'm out shopping or driving somewhere, that's my time, darn it!!! and I don't need someone calling me.

So even if I put that I love the latest tech, in some ways I'm still a Luddite.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I use my computer all the time (how else would the dogs get their Newsletter out? ) and the land line (we don't have cell service here)...and of course, I can't do without my slow dial-up, black-and-white TV and manual can openers... (can openers?! was that even one of the choices?)

We do dishes by hand, too... he he he

I'd rather have a mule than a car (the mule can mow the grass, too ).

Gotta agree with Rick C about the camera--don't know what I'd do without my trusty ol' manual Minolta SRT102! (digital cameras? What are those? )

But my fav piece of modern technology is indoor plumbing So glad we upgraded!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:23 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
hehe..

I don't have a cell phone... And I don't plan on getting one. I'm the only person in the world,
Me too ! Acually , I bought one 4 years ago when I moved here, it was cheaper than using the home phone (always long distance , cha ching) but then I moved again and even using the cell phone was long distance so it's in a drawyer somewhere....no dishwasher, and I have a microwave but only because my mom bought me a used one, probably built in 1970...
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:49 PM

I love it all. I even have one of those stupid tassimo coffee makers

http://www.tassimo.com

but only because I won it from Global TV!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:05 PM
-

WHAT ?!?!

no one has a Crackberry?
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm a guy, so I marked down all...I want it all!! I want the latest and greatest, I want the ones with the coolest beeps, I want the prettiest colours...

Then Mrs. Schwinn comes in with, "Do you really need a (insert cool shiny thing here)?" "Need? NEED?? This isn't about NEED!" Then I hang my head, "no"

So while I don't have a lot of technology, I do want the latest and greatest. That being said, depending on your definition of modern...not sure I'd want to live without my bike, but it isn't really modern (though some of the tech in mine is fairly spiffy). I could probably get by without most of it, but I definitely wouldn't want to.
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Living in Chaos!

I marked down computer & internet. I hate telephones and could care less about the x-box. I don't own an i-pod or an MP3. My cell phone is for emergencies only (for my long commute mostly). I hate the stupid thing really except for the photo of my Grandfather on the home screen.

liSa - Animal slave 09/27/1972
Alicia - Orange Tabby 06/01/1999 to 10/22/2004
Sam - Lab/Hound 01/03/2001 to 06/14/2014
Josie - Orange Tabby 2003
Mr. Slithers - Red-tailed boa constrictor 02/2007
Zeus - Bearded dragon 06/04/2007
Ariel and Lola - Bearded dragons 06/13/2007
Harley - MinPin 01/26/2008

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Furball Farmer

Well I guess I too am a bit of a technology hound lol.

I NEED my washer and dryer and dishwasher for my everyday life, I probably could live without the dishwasher but wouldn't be happy about it.

I have a cell phone and use it everyday, I sell Avon and have A LOT of deliveries to make and that cell phone is what keeps me on time and in touch with my customers. Of course it is the latest and greatest one too with the coolest ringer around lol

My bf has a Playstation 2, I myself don't play it much....but when his friends are over they either veg out on the tv or play PS2

I also have an iPod....I got for Christmas. I don't use it as much as I should right now. But come summer I will wear it around my yard while I am gardening or at the lake while lying on the sand in the sun.
And since I tend to end up in the hospital at least once a year :sad: due to my medical issues, I am going to love having 3000 songs at my disposal and a good book to keep me from going crazy bored in my bed lol.

I love my digicam and my bf has a camcorder....can't do without those otherwise I wouldn't have snaps and video to look back on and remember the good times.
Of course my high speed internet is a must, gotta keep in touch with all of you right???
And my car.......GOD BLESS the auto industry lol. I LOVE my car.

I adore technology...scares me how fast it is moving...but I love it and want it in my life, as much of it as I can afford lol.
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Learning fast

I've gone from high speed wireless to dial up (still wireless ) and it's painfull, but I would ahve to get a sat-link to get high speed here, dial up is at a max of 26kbps, not even able to get 56k. However my cell phone doesn't get reception, but I couldn't live without it, the closest thing to it at the moment is the new iphone. Except mine has a better DVD player built in, and I have a great speaker for listening to music. So it's my entertainment, mp3/4 player, calander, 2 meg camera and video camera, and it also has all the regular bells and whistles, it's 4 years old now so showing it's age, but I couldn't imagine replacing it.
My Stereo I wouldn't go without, I made sure than came with me when I came to Canada and rewired my house for 220v in the living area so i could listen to my Stereo.
TV's and cable I don't give much towards, I'd love to not use the car (working towards that with speeding tickets in the Porsche) and could walk to the georgian trail to walk the dogs, however there is no-one else around so they would not socialize that way.
I love my new camera but I too have a pentax ME Super SLR in prestine condition waiting for me to get back into taking real pictures. However by then I'l probably see it as an antique.
I HATE electric can openers, I just can't get them to work, I always use the manual one, and why does it need a bag opener on the BACK, who ever uses that handy built in function.
I would say remote control, but only used for it's intended purpose, if you need to press a button more than 20 times you sould put it down. That said, Missy made short work of mine and I don't have $300 to replace it with. :sad: .
I do love technology but we rely on it, sometimes to do bad things (especially in medicine) all in the name of progess apparantly .
I'm slowly going back to the old way, and with the amount of powercuts out here I'm soon going to be doing without the electric light
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I need it all. I would die if I was left on an island alone.
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:06 PM

lol - I didn't even think about putting camera on that list. Camera is just an understood necessity for me.

Household appliances, too, for the most part... I hate living without a dishwasher, but I don't think I could manage without a washing machine...
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Kitty Consort

Well, my dishwasher is currently broken.. and I am feeling "very" hard done by.

I voted land line, computer and high speed Internet. Glad to learn I'm not the only person on the planet that doesnt have a cel phone.
Had one when I was working.. good precaution for emergencies on the long commute.
I still have this phone. It's SO huge and awkward-looking now,and of course had no "features" of any kind.
Have to laugh at how cool and "streamlined" I once though it was.
But dont miss a cel phone, and have no real desire to get one.
Like Prin.. I'm in the "leave a message" category.
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Well, my dishwasher is currently broken.. and I am feeling "very" hard done by.
I would have answered washer and dryer, dishwasher, Tassimo , but they weren't on the list :sad: so I went with the cell phone and the high speed internet.
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't really need much. I voted land line, computer and high speed internet. I have a cell phone, but it doesn't get used much, like Prin said, I'm not important enough that people need to call me wherever I am.
Up until 6 months ago we didn't have a dishwasher so I didn't know what I was missing, and now I never do dishes and I love every minute of it (or lack of every minute of it!)

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??